A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2014~  (Read 46622 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #460 on: August 18, 2014 05:33:43 PM »

bit of a project dump coming up... Wink

(photos will be edited in form my phone asap, so sorry if you've stumbled on my post before i manage to edit them in)

Challenge: Quidditch Flacking
House: Ra Ra RAVENCLAW
Project: fake sausage casserole
I'm veggie, but don't often bother with quorn 'fake meats'... but my friend served a quorn sausage casserole when I went for dinner a few weeks and I had to have a go myself.

serves 4 (generously)
chop 2 onions & a pile of garlic, fry. Add to a big saucepan with a tin of tomatoes including juice, a tin of chick peas, chopped carrots, a chopped celery, 3 chopped peppers, 8 chopped quorn sausages, a glass of red wine, a squirt of tomato puree, a splash of tabasco sauce, and salt & pepper. Simmer over a low heat stirring occasionally for about an hour. Nice served with chunky bread slices to mop up sauce!

this is really yummy, and being quorn is fairly healthy too... but if you eat as much of it as I did you'll still be wearing it on your hips and belly... off to the quidditch pitch to run laps I think...

challenge: Quidditch bumphing
House: RAVENCLAW! GOOOOOOOo EAGLES!
Project; blackberry & almond chocolates
On a walk, I found a whole lane of blackberry bushes with perfectly ripe, untouched berries! I ate a fair amount on the way home, but saved enough to make myself a little snack...

since it was an impromptu thing, I hadn't really planned anything and the only moulds I could find were these hans solo ones Cheesy not ideal (they are too small really with such chunky fillings), but did the job. chop a large handful of almonds and threw them into 200g of melted milk chocolate with about the same amount of berries. Mix and pour into moulds, then into the fridge. Perfect as a half time treat!

challenge: quidditch stooging
House: RAVEN-CLAW! RAVEN-CLAW! RAVEN-CLAW
Project; hexies, of course
what else?

challenge; Quidditch blatching
House: RAVENCLAW
Project: TM patches
these patches for my swap partner include patchworking, embroidery, and hand sewing skills

challenge: Quidditch chaser
House: RAVENCLAWESOME
Project: TM patches
each of these little patches for my other swap partner took about a show for me to complete between cues, which is around an hour & a half of active craft time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2014 11:58:37 AM »

Note from the Headmistress...

Please remember that the Quidditch World Cup ends at 11:59 pm CST this Thursday, August 21.  No Quidditch projects will be accepted after that time, for any reason.  Therefore be sure to post any last minute projects before then.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
gaudiknight
« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2014 12:53:27 PM »

On that note, prepare yourself for a Quidditch Project dump.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Quidditch World Cup - Chaser
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Quick Cards
Brief Description: What I know about card making wouldn't even begin to fill a thimble.  I just started stamping with no real plan or idea of what I was doing, just trying to use up some stash, and about an hour later I had these.  What I've learned?  That I need to buy a better black inkpad.  And that I will never put a dent in my supply of scrapbook paper.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Quidditch World Cup - Broomstick
SPEW: ConKerr
Project Name: Pillowcase
Project Page Link: Pillowcase Directions
Brief Description: If you think about it, a pillowcase is basically a cozy for a cushion.  I've seen these sort of pillowcases wandering around Pinterest in collections of "10 Minute Sewing Projects," but I find that once I iron, cut, sew, and then zig-zag all the edges I've put in closer to 45 minutes.  Maybe I'm just slow.  In real life the blue border picks up the printing on the leaves, but my picture kind of mangles the colors.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Quidditch World Cup - Spirit
Project Name: Spirit Dress
Brief Description: My family is from Pittsburgh, I did my grad-school work at the University of Iowa, and I'm currently a Hufflepuff.  Yellow and black everywhere!  The polka dot ribbon is to disguise the fact that this dress turned out a little big.  Maybe she'll grow into it?

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Quidditch World Cup - Blurting
Project Name: Zippered Pouch
Project Page Link: Skip to my Lou Tutorial
Brief Description: First attempt at a zippered pouch!  Didn't turn out too shabby, if I do say so myself.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2014 08:44:42 PM »

I've been working on The Cabin for the last week or so, but I have some projects to post.  I'm having a really hard time posting them, so forgive me.  

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Cheering/Spirit Quidditch Challenge
Project Name: A National Team Hat
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: The French National Quidditch Teams team color is blue.  Naturally Simones favorite quidditch team, other than Beauxbatons, is the French National Team.  So it was high time she had a team hat.  The hat is inspired from a pattern I found in The Mary Frances Knitting and Crochet Book by Jane Eayre Fryer.  The pattern in the book is done in the round.  I dislike crocheting in the round, so I crocheted it flat and stitched it together afterwards.  It turns out like a mailing envelop with an open end.  You roll up the open end, turn down and sew the corners, and then sew pompoms at the turned down corners.  And yes the pattern called for the pompoms to be that big.  
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Blatching Quidditch Challenge
Project Name: An End Table for the Cabins Parlor
Brief Description: The Parlor in The Cabin is quite small, just enough room for a wing back chair and a rocking chair.  But it really needed an end table between the two to hold a lamp and drink glasses. No table I had was small enough.  In the 70s smoking furniture was very popular.  My father had an ashtray table.  It was the height of an end table, but not half as wide.  The ashtray long since broken and gone.  I cut off the handle and the cigarette holder, so it was only a support for a table top and a bottom shelf.  I cut both from a piece of birch paneling, painted the frame, glued the birch to the frame and painted them too.  I then shellacked the entire table.  It fits perfectly between the two chairs.  
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bumphing Quidditch Challenge
Project Name: A Lantern to Lead the Girls Back to Camp
Brief Description: All the lights at The Cabin are solar or dynamo.  The only lamp the girls had was a little battery powered lamp that kept running out of energy.  They needed their own solar lamp.  One day an old tea candle lamp I camped with many years ago appeared on my work desk one morning.  The bail was missing and the top bit damaged.  I scrubbed it, drilled holes in the new lid, and replaced the bail.  I then dismantled a dollar store solar sidewalk lamp and installed it in the top of the old lamp housing.  It already came with a built in switch making it easy for them to charge the lamp and conserve the light power for when they need it most.  It comes to good use walking back to camp from watching the Quidditch games all day.  
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Flying Class
Project Name: A New Old Kitchen Lamp
Brief Description: Electricity did not come to rural east Texas until the 1950s, and the earliest lamps where made to look like the oil lamps that they were replacing.  Installed in a parsons house, moved to the ranch, thats now over 100 years old, this lamp finally stopped working.  I took it down in order to replace it with a ceiling fan.  But what to do with the amazing old lamp?  Being as it was made to resemble a hanging oil lamp it would fit in *perfectly* with The Cabins dcor.  But the Cabin only uses solar light.  Ponder. I kept the old cloth covered wire and used it as a rope to hang the lamp from.  I bent the end of it over and through a quick link and clamped it with a wire clamp.  This way I will be able to easily attach it to whatever I decide to hang it from the ceiling with.  I dissembled the lamp and scrubbed it.  I was amazed to find years of broken light bulbs inside.  I found the lid of a tin that fit perfectly over the lamp globe.  I cut the lid to fit around the pipe frame.  I took a 10 lumin solar sidewalk lamp I brought at Walmart and proceeded to *alter* it.  I took off the stem.  I shaved off the stem attachment.  I took the panel off the lamp.  I cut the tin lid to hold the lamp and drilled it to hold the panel.  I slipped everything together like a complicated puzzle.  It took so much longer to figure it out and do it than explain it.  Lol  But now we have a wonderful vintage lamp, converted to solar, for The Cabin.  Smiley  
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014 08:52:23 PM by midkiffsjoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #464 on: August 19, 2014 09:05:12 PM »

noodle bug- I love your Han candy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #465 on: August 19, 2014 10:18:44 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: August Detention Challenge
Project Name: Hair Sticks for the Little Girls
Project Page Link (if available): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1zWspQrnA
Brief Description: As it becomes more and more clear that we live in a magical house where hair pins vanish, no doubt coveted booty of fairies, the need for a method of pinning our hair up without pins has become evident.  A gazillion years ago I wore a hair fork in my hair.  While googling such a contraption I came upon a tutorial for making hair sticks.   I have often used chopsticks to hold up my hair, but found them too long.  They often caught on things as I turned my head.  I really liked the idea of making them shorter, so I sat down to work making these 3 sets of plain hair sticks.  I cut chopsticks saved from eating at Asian buffets to 6, and sanded them smooth around the top.  They are just perfect for pinning the girls' hair up without using pins. 
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott Marshmallow Challenge
Project Name: Black and White Tiny Hair Sticks
Brief Description: I was so excited by making the girls' hair sticks that I tried making a pair of tiny bun sticks.  I cut them 4 long, carved tiny holes in the top with a seam ripper (which by the way HURTS if it slips and buries itself in the meat of your index finger).  I made a jig out of coat hanger wire and mounted the two mini bun sticks onto the wire ends with a dab of hot glue.  I held the jig while I spray painted them black and then hung them on a cup hook to dry.  I put two coats of paint on the sticks.  While the sticks were drying I glued glass beads together and held them in place while they dried.  Once the sticks had dried, I glued the beads on top of them and held them in place while they dried. 
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Pride
Project Name: Hufflepuff Hair Sticks
Brief Description: Once I got making hair sticks, I just couldnt stop.  I made this pair 5 long.  I painted the sticks with gloss black spray paint, and used yellow and black glass beads on the ends. 
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Unity
Project Name: Ravenclaw Hair Sticks
Brief Description: Once I got going making hair sticks, I had so much fun I couldnt stop.  I made this pair 5 long.  I spray painted the sticks hammered copper and used blue glass beads on the ends to make a set of Ravenclaw hair sticks.  Cheesy  It was raining while I made these and the super glue wouldnt glue the beads onto the sticks so I had to use a dab of hot glue to hold them in place while the super glue dried.  o.O 
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Beater Quidditch Challenge
Project Name: Hair Sticks for Coffee
Brief Description: I was meeting a friend for coffee when I decided I needed a snazzy new pair of hair sticks!!!  I cut the chopsticks 6 long.  I drilled holes in the top of the sticks with my seam ripper, and mounted them onto my wire jig with a tiny dab of hot glue.  I painted them with gloss black spray paint.  While the sticks dried I glued the findings and beads together.  I think they look AWESOME!!  Cheesy  *VERY* snazzy.  Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenleahlynn
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2014 06:00:23 AM »

OWL Subject & Option (if available):charms
House:gryffindor
Project Name:matroshka journal

i finished my owl a few weeks ago, but i had to wait for it to be recieved before i could post it. last fall, we did a little visitor swap with some school students in russia. we sent a small stuffed dog, and they sent us a matryoshka doll. we took her around our town and took pictures, then this spring it was time to assemble the journal. i took some charms inspiration,and tried some concealed journaling and other new techniques.

i found a map online and used it as the basis for a decopaged cover

i used a folded paper doll for jounaling blocks

i had tons of pictures from the park, so i created a collage, with a flap for hidden journaling

i also layered photos and journaling cards

more pages

the my kids also created that i didn't include here. this was a lot of fun, and now have new ideas to use in my family scrapbooks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
-i love to try new crafts, and learn new techniques. my strength is color pencils, but i also scrapbook, stitch, crochet, bead, any excuse to head to the craft store!

harry potter craft along
teesha moore patch swap
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2014 07:06:26 AM »

Hey friends, FYI Spoonflower is giving away an 8"x8" swatch of their new eco canvas today, in any design, free, with free shipping.  But it's only for the next two hours. There are tons of fun designs including Harry Potter fabrics, and lots of cute mod prints.  Go order a swatch of something cute!

I just got this cute one, and will have to find a use for it in the Back to Hogwarts Swap!  http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/2863492
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2014 08:04:52 AM »

midkiffsjoy, I love all your hair sticks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #469 on: August 20, 2014 08:12:47 AM »

Since I was on holiday when the last Witch of the Week was posted, we are due a double dose; so our 2 WotW winners are announced over on the noticeboard

and, you will notice that one of them is... not a Witch! that's right, our first ever (I think...) Wizard of the week!
This prompts me to ask if anyone feels we ought to come up with a non-gendered title to use? of course WotW works for either Witch or Wizard, but if anyone has any other suggestions please post or PM me Smiley Or are you happy to leave it as it is?

I like "wix" as the gender neutral singular title. "Wixes" for plural, and "wixen" while referring to the community as a whole, i.e. "the wixen world."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Robert Englund Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
The Mortal Instruments Book Trailer
Brian Billick Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
James Marcus Bach Talks About Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
Jeffrey Deaver Talks About Roadside Crosses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...