A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2014~  (Read 43878 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

margaron
« Reply #420 on: August 10, 2014 04:29:11 AM »

@butterflyangel : marathon a tv series or movies, that way you're not just staring blankly at knitting all day, it makes the time pass a little faster, at least that's what I do. Smiley Find a series on Netflix of whatever that you heard someone say was good and give it a whirl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: August 10, 2014 05:00:19 AM »

@butterflyangel:  I second margaron's suggestion.  When I have to get a large crochet project done, Netflix is my best friend.  Or, might I suggest a marathon of the Harry Potter films?  Since we are in the HP Craftalong and all....  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Toralune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: August 10, 2014 07:09:12 AM »

Yep, that's pretty much what I do too to keep my projects interesting. Also, remember that knitting is one of the more portable crafts out there, and don't be afraid to take it with you when you expect to be sitting or waiting around for a bit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: August 10, 2014 09:01:20 AM »

Challenge: Bertie Botts Bean - Casserole
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Zucchini, Pork & Caramelized Onion Quiche

Project Page Link:
Brief Description: I don't like anything to go to waste, and therefore created this recipe to use up some leftover ground pork, zucchini and sliced onions I had in the fridge.  This recipe is specifically for the quiche, but here are some helpful tips on making caramelized onions from Bon Appetite Magazine.
Project Picture:

1 pre-made pie crust, thawed per package directions
5 eggs
cup coconut milk (or regular milk)
1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
cup caramelized onions (make these in advance!)
cup cooked ground pork (or use sausage, chopped ham, bacon, turkey, etc.)
cup shredded Cabot cheddar cheese (its naturally lactose-free)
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsely
1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
pinch of ground mustard powder (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.  Saute the zucchini, seasoned lightly with salt and pepper, until softened, but not mushy.

Sprinkle a small amount of cheese into the bottom of the pie crust.  Top with ⅓ of the zucchini slices and caramelized onions.  Add a layer of half of the ground pork (or other meat), and another sprinkling of cheese.  Repeat with another ⅓ of the zucchini and onions, the rest of the meat, some cheese, and the final ⅓ of the zucchini and onions.

Whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, chopped fresh parsley and thyme, salt, pepper, and pinch of mustard powder.  Pour over the ingredients in the pie crust, and add a final light sprinkling of cheddar cheese.  (You have now used the full cup.)

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the quiche is set and the top and crust are golden brown. I recommend serving with a side of roasted baby potatoes.  Cheesy

Class: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Dairy Free Bubble Tea

Brief Description: The full recipe and tutorial can be found with the link above.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention - August
Project Name: Snape & Lily "Always" Bookmarks

Brief Description:   For August's Detention, we must make multiples of the same object.  So, I've made 6 of these little bookmarks!  They were inspired by everyone's favorite Potion's Master, Prof. Snape, and Lily Evans.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Quidditch - Stooging
Project Name: Teeny Tiny Bookmarks for bunny1kenobi

Brief Description: I'm co-organizing the IYP 26 Swap, and while posting in the thread about a craftastrophe that I just had, I challeneged the members of the swap to guess what material I was working with.  bunny1kenobi guessed correctly, so I sent her a tiny prize package of two small bookmarks and some socks.  Here are the bookmarks...
Project Picture:

Challenge: Quidditch - Beater
Project Name: Divination Earrings & Amethyst Earrings

Project Description: Earrings definitely work as a pair!  I stared off by creating some Divination inspired earrings with these awesome little palmistry hand charms.  I am quite pleased with how they came out.  But since they didn't fill the full 30 minutes of required crafting time for the HPC, I also made a second set, out of amethyst stone beads.  I  have a beautiful wrap bracelet full of amethyst that I received in a swap here on Craftster, but didn't have any earrings to match.  Now I do!  Cheesy
Project Picture:

Challenge: Quidditch - Chaser
Project Name: TARDIS earrings & pendant

Brief Description: This was a quick-for-me craft that took just over 30 minutes to put together.  Adorable little TARDIS earrings and a matching pendant!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: August 10, 2014 10:02:52 AM »

Jennie, I love the Snape/Lily bookmark!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #425 on: August 10, 2014 11:47:07 AM »

Audiobooks are great to keep mind busy while fingers work (i sometimes find that with tv i watch the screen too much for accurate crafting!). We can get them in libraries here, on cd. Plus that way you have to get up every hour or so to change disk - lets you stretch out fingers.

I've been away on holiday and got loads of craft time....

Challenge; quidditch blurting
House; ravenclaw
Craft: instead of locks hexies!
I was on a narrowboat holiday, and on the first day managed to fall into a lock whilst trying to climb up it! Could have been nasty but very luckily i escaped with just big bruises on my thighs .... This picture of them a week after the fall gives an idea how bad they were!
I was fine but obviously couldn't push the lock gates closed (they ate really heavy and you need to push with your legs) for a couple of days, so my friend of stuck doing most of that work himself. Instead, i stayed on the boat making hexies ... Thus, un-locking-hexies!

Challenge; quidditch keeper
House; ravenclaw
Project; another Headscarf
I started thus straight after my owl entralac Headscarf, since i felt i could do better now i had more practice. There's still plenty of mistakes, but i found making a 'teir' at a time helped me keep straight in my mind what part of the repeating pattern i was supposed to very on, so it's a definite improvement!

Challenge; quiddditch broomstick
House; ravenclaw
Project; beehive tea-cozy
Whats more comforting than a cup of tea?! It helps cushion us from the realities of life!

Class; flying
House; ravenclaw
Project; bear embroidery
The bear and page of text background are supposed to appear to be hovering in the frame
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014 12:00:26 PM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
calliemae
« Reply #426 on: August 10, 2014 12:27:06 PM »

I love the bee tea cozy!

When I'm knitting, I usually put on a movie on Netflix, or I'll marathon a series on there. If I'm following a particularly intricate pattern I can't have much of anything on in the background, but once I've worked through the repeats a few times, a movie on in the background is excellent for me. It's a good way to break up some of the monotony of the simple and repetitive projects, I get through a lot of seasons that way. If you don't have Netflix, go to the store and pick up a box set of something you've been wanting to check out, sometimes you can find some gems on sale. Currently I'm alternating between Dr Who, Criminal Minds, That 70's Show, and Bones as my background knitting entertainment.

If it's nice outside, I will drive out to a park and sit out there for a while while I do some knitting. If you take a nice blanket to sit on, it can be nice. Plus you can work on a tan guilt free (that's what I tell myself anyway). I've also been known to work on blanket squares in the movie theater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Gifts in 2014: 17
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: August 10, 2014 01:29:23 PM »

Noodle-bug:  I freakin' love the bee hive tea cozie.  Also, OUCH!  I'm so sorry about your tumble. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #428 on: August 11, 2014 10:33:32 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Quidditch World Cup - Blagging
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Three Night Sweater
Project Page Link: Made using the One Night Sweater pattern
Brief Description: I knit this over several evenings at the "hospitality hours" at a car convention (i.e. pretzels, beer, and lots of talking about carburetors).  Since I didn't want to admit I was knitting a doll sweater, the guys had fun guessing what it actually was.  The last evening someone threw out that it was a beer cozy - so we tried it, and it fits a beer bottle better than the doll.

Blue Sweater by AluminumDryad, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014 10:41:26 AM by gaudiknight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

calliemae
« Reply #429 on: August 11, 2014 01:46:49 PM »

I love the color yarn you used for the doll sweater
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Gifts in 2014: 17
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Palm Sugar
What Are Pandan Leaves
What Is Miso
What is Mirin
What Are Meyer Lemons
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...