A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2014~  (Read 43935 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2014 04:54:25 PM »

Sad I was hoping to do my belly button lint project tonight, crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be too late!  Alas...

Just a general FYI, I usually accept a Bean posting until midnight on the day that the new one goes up, in case someone was photographing/uploading/posting, when I was changing the Bean.  And new Bean's are *usually* posted on Sundays, barring unforeseen circumstances. (I was always rubbish at Divination.  It's such a wooly subject... Wink)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014 11:26:04 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2014 06:21:18 PM »

I have mostly been working on ATCs for the June round of the Ongoing Swap so far this month.  Thankfully, four have been sent, and the first one has now been received, so I finally start getting to post some projects.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name:
"We'll All Give Thanks" ATC
Brief Description: I claimed CDEeeek for the theme "In a Perfect World...", and so I finished that with the sentiment "we'll all give thanks."  It meets the Charms prompt pretty literally -- the card says "thanks" in dozens of languages.  It is watercolor pencil with a little bit of black outlining.
Project Picture:

Normally I wouldn't show the back of a regular card, but for the very first time, I wrapped the design around the back and tried doing mitered corners.  I messed up the measurements horribly, but nevertheless I like the visual look and will practice incorporating this (more neatly) into future cards.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014 06:26:52 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
sammylouise40
Polymer Clayaholic

Nerdy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2014 10:56:24 AM »

Class: COMC
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Panda with bamboo
Brief Description: One of my favorite animals is the Giant Panda and it breaks my heart that they may not be around for much longer due to starvation and lose of habitat. So I chose for my COMC assignment to create a panda out of polymer clay and I gave him a piece of bamboo to eat. Enjoy little buddy.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping altered puzzle pieces. PM me if interested in swapping.

My Pinterest!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2014 11:26:34 AM »

~*Congratulations rockmygypsysoul*~
~*You are the first to earn the Muggle Studies Badge!*~

~*Congratulations ME*~
~*I am the first to earn the Flying Badge*~

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges.  

*Once revealed, a class badge can be found in the Badge Station.*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014 07:06:05 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Flying
Project Name:
"Boys Do It Better" ATC
Brief Description: I claimed a "yaoi" themed card for the June Ongoing ATC Swap.  The recipient had a yaoi-themed board on her Pinterest, so I chose a bunch of images, printed them out tiny, and Mod Podged them into a collage. The original idea was to have another card on top, with the word "LOVE" cut/punched to serve as a "peekaboo" window to the card underneath, and then the two would be strung together so you could lift the cover and see the collage underneath.  However, I had all manner of technical problems, and finally decided to scrap the cover altogether.  Undecided In an attempt to give purpose to the now totally unnecessary holes on either side of the card, I strung yarn through them and tied a knot at the top, so that the card could be hung from the wall or even the ceiling as a mobile.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Apparition
Project Name:
"Underwear" ATC
Brief Description: Unsatisfied with just sending out the previous card (since it was a collage of other people's work, and thus not very "Artist"-y on my part), I decided to work out an idea that had been playing in my head which I figured the recipient would like -- a paper doll idea, with interchangeable clothing.  Since we are studying human anatomy in Apparition this term, my assignment prominently features the posterior.  Wink
Project Picture:

Here is the base of the card ("au naturale", if you will):

to change your image viewing settings please click here
I placed a strip of magnetic tape on the back of the card, and glued two magnets on top of it into order to increase the strength of the attraction.  (Yes, that's the paper cover for the self-adhering side on top, meaning I glued the "face" of the magnet down to the tape.  I tried it the other way at first, but the polarity was messed up and preventing the other magnets from attracting.)

My guy has three different selections of underwear to choose from as he's getting ready in the morning.  First, the everyday look:

Special occasions:

And for those times when he's feeling a little "cheeky" (har-dee-har):

to change your image viewing settings please click here

I had so much fun making this second card, so in the end (see what I did there?), I'm glad the first one didn't turn out as planned!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014 07:09:03 AM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2014 12:29:20 PM »

~Memo from the House Elves~

He had never had any money for candy with the Dursleys, and now that he had pockets rattling with gold and silver he was ready to buy as many Mars Bars as he could carry-- but the woman didnt have Mars Bars.  What she did have were Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Droobles Best Blowing Gum, Chocolate Frogs, Pumpkin Pasties, Cauldron Cakes, Licorice Wands, and a number of other strange things Harry had never seen in his life.  Not wanting to miss anything, he got some of everything and paid the woman eleven silver Sickles and seven bronze Knuts.
The Sorcerers Stone, Chapter 6

These are where it all began.  Harry and Ron shared some of these treat during their first train ride to Hogwarts, and thus began a friendship that would last a lifetime.  Harry also first saw Cho Chang at the food trolly ordering pasties and this is probably where his crush began.

A pasty is a filled pastry pocket.  It is made by placing a filling on a flat pastry shape, usually a circle, and folding it to wrap the filling, and crimping the edge to form a seal.  This recipe is for a sweet pasty, though a more traditional savory pasty could be made by omitting the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger (from the filling); and using onion, garlic and herbs, such as thyme instead.  If you were making a savory version you would also omit the glaze, unless sweet and savory is your jam.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Potions
SPEW: N/A
Project Name: Pumpkin Pasties
Brief Description: These little treats take the shape of the half moon.  I like the half moon because it has two meanings depending on where it is in the moons cycle.  A first quarter moon can be a good time to face challenges and make decisions. A last quarter moon is a time to let go, forgive, and move on.

Recipe found at Chew Out Loud.

Ingredients
For the Dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
tsp table salt
1 cup salted butter, diced and chilled
cup very cold ice water
1 egg, beaten with 2 tsp water (egg wash)
coarse sugar for sprinkling
For the Filling:
1 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree, canned or homemade
cup brown sugar, packed
2 TB granulated sugar
tsp nutmeg
tsp cinnamon
tsp cloves
tsp ginger
For the Glaze/Drizzle:
cup powder sugar
1 TB whole milk
⅛ tsp cinnamon
⅛ tsp nutmeg
⅛ tsp ginger
⅛ tsp cloves

Directions
Make the Dough:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
2. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the diced cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, with small chunks of butter still visible.
3. One tablespoon at a time, add ice water to mixture until it holds together. It should stick together when pinched but not feel sticky. Work dough sparingly with cold fingers or pastry cutter, but do not overwork dough.
4. Form 2 dough balls, wrap in plastic, and chill at least 1 hour.
Make the Filling:
1. Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
2. Preheat oven to 400F, with rack on middle position. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Roll out one of the chilled dough balls, to ⅛ inch thick, on lightly floured surface. Use a 5-6 inch diameter bowl rim to cut out circles. Re-roll dough as needed to get as many circles out of it as you can.
4. Place 2 TB pumpkin filling in center of each circle. Moisten edges with water, fold dough over, and seal tightly. Use fork to crimp edges. Cut slits on top of each one, and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Repeat with remaining dough ball and filling.
5. Bake on parchment lined baking sheet for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Let cool on wire rack.
To make Drizzle:
Combine all glaze ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Place in ziplock bag, cut tiny hole at one corner, and drizzle onto pasties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calliemae
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2014 12:54:12 PM »

Those sound delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Gifts in 2014: 17
BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2014 01:00:09 PM »

All of the projects are looking awesome!!!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Alchemy
Project Name: TARDIS Shirt
Brief Description: Ive had this blue shirt for a while and I finally figured out exactly what I wanted to do with it! This is a parody of the Intel logo. Interestingly enough, there are certain components of circuit boards that can be made of tin.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Arithmancy
Project Name: 9 buttons
Brief Description: I made this TM Patch and include 9 buttons on it.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Astronomy
Project Name: Wrapped Birthday Presents
Brief Description: I wrapped my husbands birthday presents in what appears just normal wrapping paper. But I used my stamps that I had previously made and I made a new one for the Assassin's Creed Logo. The hidden meaning of the wrapping paper is that my husband not only tolerates my nerdiness and fandoms but encourages me to indulge myself in them. And so that is why he is getting the Hulk, a cute Hogwarts owl, and the Assassins Creed logo on his presents.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic
Project Name: Bear TM Patch
Brief Description: When I was younger my mother made sure I knew the basics of sewing and she also taught me a little cross stitch. I some of those same skills to make this TM patch. Most of it is done with the basic backstitch, one of the first ones she taught me.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Potions
Project Name: Etched Glass
Brief Description: I etched this clear and colorless glass with the Magic mana symbols.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
gaudiknight
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2014 01:40:56 PM »

I feel like I'm slacking this semester - but hey, it's summer.  No one's too terribly academic when it's this hot.

Class: Astronomy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Settling In
Brief Description: I moved over the weekend, and if that doesn't embody creating order out of chaos (and also chaos out of order) I don't know what does.  I used my muggle skills from last semester to assemble some bookshelves (the only white ones in my town, so they're quite rare beasts).  It was such a relief to have my books back in some sort of coherent order.  I have no idea where craft supplies are going to live, but I can find my reading materials.  Priorities!
Before:

164 How I spent my weekend. by AluminumDryad, on Flickr
After:

168 Settling In by AluminumDryad, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calliemae
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2014 01:55:22 PM »

I adore the TM patches Badwolf, especially the bear one and the TARDIS shirt is very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Gifts in 2014: 17
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear Suspender Tights
Ways To Wear Trendy Statement Suits
Featured Blogger: Mayte Doll
80s Fashion Dance Video: New Leaf by Samir
Fashion Blogger Aimee Song Gives Pro Tips On Styling And Starting A Blog
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...