A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2014~ *JOIN ANYTIME*  (Read 38196 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pottermouth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2014 05:09:16 PM »

To noodlebug, thanks so much for developing the career paths page for alumni! Is Professorship an option for a career?

If you want it, it is Smiley either let me know what subject you'd like and I'll work out requirements, or if you have ideas of what you'd like feel free to PM me them

I'm thinking Arithmancy would be a nice challenge. Mathematical calculations, what fun!

The spanakopitas look yummo! Beautiful stitching on the Elephant Quilt, noodlebug, and your baby pic is adorable Inselaeffchen!

The beginning of term is! always! so! fun! As told by the exclamations.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2014 03:17:16 AM »

well, there's Arithmatician already there (to my mind that's just a fancy way of saying Arithmancy Professor)... or how about something along these lines:

Arithmancy Professor - 7 Arithmancy, 7 projects inspired by the muggle magical numbers (2,8, 20, 28, 50, 82, 126), 3 projects inspired by muggle irrational numbers Pi and e, 1 project inspired by the muggle imaginary number i, 3 projects inspired by triangles, 3 projects inspired by curves, 3 projects requiring the use of complex charts, 1 project inspired by chance, Arithmancy OWL, Arithmancy NEWT

(for comparison)
---Arithmatician: 7 Arthimancy, 6 SoAR, 5 Divination, 4 Charms, 3 Potions, 2 Herbology, 1 Astronomy, Arithmancy or SoAR OWL, Arithmancy NEW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
BringMeKnitting8
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2014 06:24:58 AM »

OWL Proposal
OWL Subject & Option:Astronomy option 2
House:Hufflepuff
Project Name: Umbrella socks
Brief Description: So for my birthday this April I was fortunate enough to receive not one but two skeins of wonderful Nerd Girl Yarn form my mother. Some of you might have seen my #yolo sock from last semester. I have now finished with the second sock and want to go on to the next skein which is called Umbrellas.
What I'm proposing is both socks in Umbrellas with the patchwork pattern in the book Knit Socks by Betsy Lee McCarthy. Judging by how long it took me to make the last pair, it should take me 2-3 weeks and by the looks of this yarn, they should make for some stellar footwear. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magpirate
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2014 06:42:00 AM »

Calliemae, those spanakopitas look delicious!  The recipe doesn't seem too difficult, I might have to give those a try.

Noodle-bug, I love the elephant quilt!  I especially like fact that the elements are proportional.  SCIENCE!

Inselaeffchen, it's great that you're preserving all those memories!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Transfiguration class
SPEW: N/A
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Tiny Books
Brief Description:  I made one of these little books last night and it was simple and fun so I made another.  I used typing paper and scraps of leather from a thrift-store skirt, and bound them together with pamphlet stitch.  I left the ends of the thread long so you can tie them closed since they don't like to sit flat on their own.  These were fun to make, but I'm not really sure what to do with them now that I've made them...
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2014 12:05:48 PM »

~Memo from the Kitchen Elves~

Tom the innkeeper reappeared, wearing an apron over his nightshirt and bearing a tray of tea and crumpets.  He placed the tray on the table between Fudge and Harry and left the parlor, closing the door behind him. ...  Fudge butter himself a crumpet and pushed the plate toward Harry.
-The Prisoner of Azkaban, chapter 3.

This week I decided to tackle the humble, but delicious crumpet.  Crumpets are a circular griddle cake made with yeast.  They are often eaten with butter, jam or golden syrup.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: SoAR
Project Name: Crumpets
Brief Description:  My love of learning isn't limited to the classroom; but extends into the kitchen. I love learning new recipes especially recipes from other countries.
Project Picture:

The recipe I used is from the Cupcake Project.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups warm milk, about 110 F
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Instructions
1. Mix 1 cup of the warm milk and all of the sugar in a small bowl.

2. Sprinkle yeast on top of the milk and let sit for ten minutes.

3. While you are waiting, mix flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl.

4. Add the yeast mixture and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of warm milk to the flour mixture and stir to combine. If you've made bread before and are used to a thick dough that you can knead, don't expect that from this batter. This will be a thick liquid, almost like a milkshake.

5. Cover the batter and set in a warm place to rise for about an hour.

6. Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle to medium-low heat.

7. Butter the insides of your crumpet rings and place them on the skillet.

8. Fill each crumpet ring halfway.

9. After four minutes, you should be able to remove the rings using tongs. You can wait longer, but the longer I waited, the more the crumpets stuck to the rings.

10. Stare at the crumpets. It's fun! You'll notice bubbles forming and popping. It's like a trip to Yellowstone, but much cheaper. After about five minutes, you won't see any more bubbles forming or popping and you'll be able to tap the tops of the crumpets and hear a sound (meaning the tops have hardened a bit). It's now time to flip them!

11. Some people don't flip their crumpets at all, but I like to flip mine and cook for just a minute. It will give what will become the crumpets' tops an ever-so-slight browning.

12. Serve immediately with Lyle's golden syrup, clotted cream and jam, or honey and butter; or cool, cover, and toast before serving.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014 04:38:44 PM by FiberAlchemist - Reason: Add homework turn-in information. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2014 12:12:28 PM »

~Memo from the Kitchen Elves~*

Lee passed Harry the egg, and Harry dug his fingernails into the groove that ran all the way around it and prised it open.
It was hollow and completely empty - but the moment Harry opened it, the most horrible noise, a loud screechy wailing, filled the room. 'What was that? said Seamus Finnigan, staring at the egg as Harry slammed it shut again. Sounded like a banshee" ... "It was someone being tortured! said Neville, who had some very white and spilled sausage rolls all over the floor.Youre going to have to fight the Cruciatus Curse!

-The Goblet of Fire, Chapter 21

What is a better snack for a champion, or at least a tri-wizard tournament competetor but sausage rolls.  A sausage roll is a savory pastry snack made by wrapping tubes of sausage meat in puff pastry and egg washed before baking.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DADA
Project Name: Sausage Rolls
Brief Description:  What is a recipe other than a tutorial?  Here is a tutorial of how to make delicious sausage rolls
Project Picture:

The original recipe can be found at Jamie Olivers website.

Ingredients
olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
1 sprig fresh sage, leaves picked
1 handful breadcrumbs
fresh nutmeg, for grating
6 pork sausages (I used 1 lb of bulk sausage)
250 g ready-made puff pastry
1 egg
a little milk

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions. Cook gently for about 20 minutes until soft and golden brown. Add the sage leaves, cook for a couple of minutes more and then spread out on a plate to cool.

2.With a sharp knife, slit the skins of the sausages and pop the meat out. Put it in a mixing bowl with the cooled sage and onion mix and the breadcrumbs, then scrunch well with your clean hands to mix together.

3. On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a big rectangle as thick as a pound coin and cut it lengthways into two long, even rectangles. Roll the mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and lay along the centre of each rectangle.

4. Mix the egg and milk and brush the pastry with the mixture, then fold one side of the pastry over, wrapping the filling inside. Press down with your fingers or the edge of a spoon to seal the join.

5. Cut the long rolls into the sizes you want and space them out on a baking tray. Brush with the rest of the egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through. Serve with piccalilli and a cress salad.

*This will be on a weekly schedule from now on.  Last weeks recipe didn't get posted and that's why things are doubled up this week.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014 04:42:59 PM by FiberAlchemist - Reason: Added homework turn-in information. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2014 01:16:54 PM »

Noodle-bug: Like those flowers. They're cute!
Nicajeanie: Cute booties. What material do you use to make them last long?
calliemae: What are those bracelets that made of? It's not regular style friendship bracelets right? They look nice and chunky. The frog is cute!
midkifssjoy: Rat Pucking? Never heard of it! But it must be a really nice game if the entire family is into it Smiley
Moonflame: Positive reinforcement rules! Curious to see your finished gnomes... Penguin jumper looks super, it's so sad that they're needed. Muggles need to rethink pollution!
vincentvanbuck: Apparently you really have a feel for what dear husband is craving, if you made exactly what he bought at lunch. Never even seen a crock pot (they're not really a thing on this side of the pond) but I can imagine it takes some getting used to.
Magpirate: Circular Galifreyan is so much fun! I've used it in crafts several times before too. I love the planety twist, and that T-shirt is awesomo nerd-cred. I'd wear it!
samash90: Funky fabric on the headboard. Would love to see it in place!
ErinAquaheart: Jewellery is like books[/b]: one can never have enough! I like the variety Smiley

(Yeah, nearly there! I want to encourage everybody, but I'll need to stay on top of the thread more!)

TechnicolorAquahearts: Those ATC's are so bright and joyful! I bet your 4th graders fell in love with the concept immediately Smiley
pottermouth: Shame that we can't see your NEWT. I understand about not finishing them, I've still got advanced studies shouting for my attention... The little owls are perfect Smiley
Noodle-bug: I love the level of detail you put into that quilt! Actually researching the elements and stuff. Can I ask what the plan is with the hexies? I've been wondering for a while now...
Inselaeffchen: Such a happy smile Smiley You definitely didn't let that eye-patch bother you. Looking forward to seeing your scrapbook!
Magpirate: Cute little books. I think we've all (frequently?) been at a point where we craft something for the fun of crafting, but then really don't know where to go from there. I'm sure in time you'll find a good use for them.
FiberAlchemist: "Crumpets"that sounds so scrumptious, and I bet they really are. I love me a good sausage roll from time to time, they're kind of a guilty pleasure.

All of you guys: be jealous!!! I just booked our visit to the Leavesden Studio Tour of the Harry Potter studios! Me and my husband will be visiting the sets on Harry's birthday (July 31st). This was one of the gifts we got for our wedding (we're celebrating our nine month anniversary this Friday the thirteenth) and now we're really going. I've still got to book the rest of the trip (space to sleep, and eurostar/coach/airplane) but we'll be going to London for four or five days. Probably July 29th - August 2nd. (Noodle-bug, do you want to meet up?) I can't imagine it being anything less than magical. Now, on to my coursework!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms - Good manners
SPEW: n/a
House: Slytherin (Alumni)
Project Name: Bird's nest tree of life
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433957
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)
We'll soon be saying goodbye to our teachers, as we're taking final exams for their subjects and we'll have different teachers next term. I suggested to the class we should all pitch in and let the teachers know we really appreciate their work - we had to do a lot for them, but they definitely did a lot for us in return too! They're getting chocolates, but I wanted to make something too, as a thank you. This pendant is for our teacher of "Didactical competency: general" and "Education and society". I added a little bird's nest to her tree, because at the start of the term, she had just returned from maternity leave after giving birth to twins (a boy and a girl).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Divination
House: Slytherin (alumni)
Project Name: Miniature trees of life - earrings
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433851.msg5203742#msg5203742
Brief Description:
When practising dendromancy, it's important to open your third eye when observing the trees. At first glance, the trees are currently decked out in many shades of green, but my third eye revealed that the nearby trees might skip this season. Their crowns were filled with tinges of yellow and orange, as though autumn had come already. I was looking for signs related to my study, to see if I would pass my exams and when I would need to return to my course materials. As the trees skipped summer, to go straight on to fall, I am confident that this means I will pass my exams and won't have to spend my summer months studying to retake the exams! I made a pair of miniature tree of life earrings to celebrate, and entered them in this month's craft challenge (don't forget to vote for your favourites when the polls open!). One cm in diameter.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Transfiguration
House: Slytherin (alumni)
Project Name: A forest of life Tongue
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433957
Brief Description:
I have had more than one teacher this past semester, so I had more thank you's to create. After making the square one pictures above, I realised I do prefer making round pendants. I had made one last semester (the middle one in the picture below) and decided to make a couple more in the same style. Just like no tree grows in the exact same way, no tree of life pendant can be an exact match. Each piece, though very similar, has its own identity. My teachers will be getting a truly unique piece of jewelry!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
margaron
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2014 01:53:21 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Botts bean: belly button lint
House: slytherin
Project Name: simple friendship bracelets
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: made two new bracelets to wear on the way to my grandpa's house.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeuudee

Smile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2014 01:55:38 PM »

All of you guys: be jealous!!! I just booked our visit to the Leavesden Studio Tour of the Harry Potter studios! Me and my husband will be visiting the sets on Harry's birthday (July 31st). This was one of the gifts we got for our wedding (we're celebrating our nine month anniversary this Friday the thirteenth) and now we're really going. I've still got to book the rest of the trip (space to sleep, and eurostar/coach/airplane) but we'll be going to London for four or five days. Probably July 29th - August 2nd. (Noodle-bug, do you want to meet up?) I can't imagine it being anything less than magical. Now, on to my coursework!

Oh, you are going to love it. I went last year and really want to go again. Somehow I managed to completely miss Hagrid's hut - still don't know how I managed that!

There are so many great projects already posted, I really need to get my head around this semesters classes, I may even attempt an OWL.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2014 02:17:39 PM »

I'm so going to have to try making crumpets soon.  I freakin' love crumpets, and always pick them up when I stop at Trader Joe's, but I've never tried making my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Rockabilly Hairstyle
How to Get a 70s Hairstyle
How to Get a Rock Star Hairstyle
How to Get Beach Hair Waves
How to Use Beeswax in Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...