A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2014~ *JOIN ANYTIME*  (Read 31560 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pottermouth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2014 01:15:05 PM »

Quick, fly over to Knickertwist's blog and drool over what she's made! Accio Potter-ish trunk, accio Potter-ish trunk!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2014 03:24:52 PM »

gaudiknight, your angel food cake looks lovely, and it sounds so good with summer berries.  Cheesy  Please remember however, that in order to receive House Points for a cooking project, you must post the recipe in the thread, or provide a link to the complete recipe that you used if you found it on the web.  This rule is listed on the first page of the HPC thread, and it was discussed very recently within the thread.  Here's a quote of the questions & answers...

Also, a quick question:

#2. Please know that anytime you submit a food as a craft, you MUST submit the complete recipe in order to earn House Points.

If we post a link to the recipe on a different website in the "Project Page Link" section of the header, does that fulfill the recipe requirement, or do we need to re-type it here?

Good question Mr. Vincent!  Posting a link to a complete recipe does fulfill the requirement.  It must have a list of ingredients and full directions, rather than a vague or meandering description.  Your link above is perfect. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2014 07:05:33 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Astronomy Class
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Not a cigar box bed for Simone
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.pinterest.com/pin/216454325814603485/
Brief Description: Scrolling through doll beds on Pinterest, I fell in absolutely love with a cigar box bed.  A doll bed made out of an old cigar box.  This bed was probably for a Hitty doll.  Cigar boxes long enough for Bleuette beds are difficult to find.  I know.  I searched for one for weeks.  After coming to terms with not finding a cigar box the right size for Simone I took a trip to the craft store to look at their fake books.  Alas they were also the wrong size.  I went home and built a fake book that I THEN built into a doll bed.  I built a box, and wrapped it in scrapbooking paper.  The inside of the book is lined with handwriting script paper.  The cover and spine have labels on them.  The book I built is Magical Water Plants of Southern France by Beaumont Majoribanks.  Beaumont Majoribanks was the famous herbologist who is given credit for making known the effects of Gillyweed.  I made the book about plants from Southern France because Simone is a Bleuette manikin and Bleuettes are French dolls.  Simone is a Beauxbaton, hence the book being blue.  The fake book has a false bottom creating a hidden compartment to hold all Simones little treasures.  To make the fake book into a doll bed I shaped the cover into a headboard with my band saw and sanded it smooth by hand (very nerve wracking).  I then glued the cover to the top of the fake book.  I glued decorative pegs to the bottom of the fake book to make legs.  I had to use super glue to glue the legs on.  I tried using wood glue, but it tore the paper after it dried, and the legs fell off.  I covered two pieces of wood with script paper and glued them into the body of the book to support the panel that is the lid for the false bottom.  I ran out of the script paper I was using and had to use a different script paper to cover the false panel.  
This project fills the class requirements not only for having a secret that is not immediately known, but having a secret compartment, but also for making order out of chaos for being a way to organize all of her little shoes, hats, and such.          
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Potions Class
Project Name: A mattress for Simones not a cigar box doll bed
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.pinterest.com/pin/216454325815263299/
Brief Description: On Pinterest, again, I found the most *beautiful* doll bed mattress Id ever seen but it  had piping edges.  Ive never touched piping in my life.  I used the false panel of Simones doll bed as a pattern to cut out the top and bottom pieces of the mattress, plus a 1/4 around the edge for seam allowance.  I cut a long strip of 1 fabric, folded it in half and sewed the edge together.  Then I ran a cord through the tube and used a zipper foot to sew it close against the cord.  I made piping. Cheesy  I then cut a long strip 1 wide, and sewed the piping to both edges with the zipper foot.  So it looked like *piping*strip of fabric*piping*.  I sewed one rectangle to the piping sandwich and then the other, and stuffed it with a piece of foam cut to size.  To finish it I hand stitched the stuffing hole, then  sewed buttons (on both sides, to each other) to make it look properly stuffed.  This is the first time I've ever had anything to do with piping.  I can see where I could have done better, now, but I learned a LOT, and I muscled through being scared to try in order to get it done.  This project fulfills the requirements in two ways, the first being my personal truth that *every* bed NEEDS a mattress, and the second that I *can* do projects that scare me, that Ive never done, finish them and they turn out AMAZING.  This has been a very hard truth for me to learn.  Im still learning it every day.  This project reinforced that truth for me.  Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Arithmancy Class
Project Name: Bedding for Simones not a cigar box doll bed
Project Page Link (if available): http://anabeliahandmade.blogspot.com.es/2013/10/two-free-crochet-borders.html
Brief Description: Every bed needs bedding.  For this project I sewed Simone 9 items of bedding for her new doll bed.  There is a fitted bottom sheet, a top sheet, a body pillow and pillow case, two standard pillows and pillowcases, and a coverlet.  The 3 pillows are all sewn from the same stripped material her mattress is sewn from.  The sheets and pillowcases are all sewn from an old high tread count, vintage, cotton sheet that Ive been using to line baby dresses.  The coverlet was cut from a dusting cloth.  I used weaving tread to sew the edges with the blanket stitch.  I then used a thicker weaving thread to crochet a lace border onto the edge of the coverlet.  Ive never ever crocheted lace before.  It was a first for me.   Grin This project fulfills the class requirements by being 9 items.  
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014 07:18:00 PM by midkiffsjoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Molly Merula
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2014 07:18:39 PM »

Netchez, those doll clothes are lovely! I'm reading Lonesome Dove right now and I love it so much. There seems to be a laugh on every page and it's got a great story as well!

The summer holidays are finally here and I should be able to do some real crafting soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2014 07:26:41 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DADA
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name:
Easy Slow Cooker Paleo(-ish) Ribs Recipe
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=434351.0#axzz36SVGjMza
Brief Description: The next recipe in my Summer of Slow Cooker Dishes was shared with me by my personal trainer.  Since it was just a recipe sitting in my inbox, I had no way to add it to my Pinterest (which is where I keep all of my recipes indexed), so I figured this would be a good one to type up and add as a thread over on the Cooking Board (see link above for my tutorial).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: HoM
Project Name:
Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli
Project Page Link: http://therecipecritic.com/2012/11/slow-cooker-beef-and-broccoli/
Brief Description: Both in my "real life" and online, I've had people supporting me this summer as I embark on a quest to build up a repertoire of really great slow cooker recipes by the time school starts in August.  At home, my family is offering me advice and encouragement, and online, friends and fellow netizens (like Mistress Jennie!) have been giving me tips and recipe suggestions.  I chose to submit this particular recipe for the HoM prompt, because DH absolutely LOVED it, but I was rather underwhelmed, so I'm hoping that my crafty "elders" will be able to suggest some tips on how to make it better.

I followed the recipe (except that I added seasoning both at the start and end of cooking), but my biggest complaints were that it did not have enough flavor, and I did not like the texture of the meat (it was tender, but tasted to me like pot roast in au jus, instead of "that way" Chinese food is supposed to taste).  I even added some lemon zest and lemon juice at the end, but it still did not have enough flavor to me.  What do y'all think would've been the best thing to do: brown the meat first, and then slice it up (or even slice it up at the end of cooking)?  Or maybe marinate the meat in the sauce overnight, and then dump the whole thing into the crockpot the next day?
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Potions
Project Name:
Chicken Caesar, Three Ways
Project Page Link: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/09/slow-cooker-chicken-caesar-sandwiches.html
Brief Description: DH is doing a really good job of being healthful this summer: he's running three nights a week, and he's even started packing salad for lunch everyday.  He's pretty picky about his salad, though; he doesn't like a lot of fancy toppings or frills, so he's eating chicken caesar salad almost every single day.  As soon as I saw this recipe, I wanted to try it so I could give him (and me!) some options for changing up the same old boring chicken caesar.  This fits the prompt, because I'm using the chicken in three different preparations.
Project Picture:

Preparation #1: Chicken Caesar Salad Sandwich

Instead of using regular hamburger buns, I toasted up some King's Hawaiian bread buns with some butter (mmmmm....)  Also, since DH refuses to eat parsley (or any fresh herbs, for that matter), I had to wait to sprinkle it on as a garnish on my portion.

Preparation #2: Chicken Caesar Salad Lettuce Wraps/Tacos

While that King's Hawaiian bread is awful hard to pass up, I am trying to be conscious of grain carbs.  So for the leftovers, I am wrapping them up in hearts of romaine and eating them as a wrap/green taco.  (I squirted a little mayo for added flavor here, since that's what I had on hand, but I think I'd like to try getting some crema or queso fresco.  Ooh, I just remembered I have some yogurt on hand! -- have to try that tomorrow.)

Preparation #3: Good ole' traditional caesar salad (I don't have a picture for this one).

Okay, okay, I promise I have a non-food craft to share as well.  Wink  I am participating in the Mini 13 Days of Halloween swap for the first time, and we have a super-long crafting time (literally months!).  But since my partner won't be opening these until October, anything I make this term will have to be shared with a link only, just in case my partner sees this board. 

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Muggle Studies
Project Name:
Super Secret Halloween-themed Lino Cut Print
Brief Description: I plan to use this image I carved onto a lino block in one of the items I will be crafting for my partner.
Project Link:

Original Inspiration Photograph: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/321554_03Jul14_500full.jpg

My Print: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/321554_03Jul14_photo_1.JPG

(The pressing on the right was my very first one; I used it to look for little spots I missed during carving, and to gauge where I was at with the eyes.  You can see the changes I made in the middle, and then the left side printing.  I made one more little edit to the eyes after the third pressing, so hopefully I won't need to make any more changes to the block.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014 07:37:28 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)
  • August Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
J_Kieviet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2014 11:40:01 PM »

I know I haven't posted any class projects, hoping to get a couple finished and posted this week, but wanted to post my OWL proposal before I forget and start working on it, if this isn't allowed, please let me know.

OWL Subject & Option(if available): SPEW
House:Hufflepuff
Project Name:A day at the beach quilt
Brief Description: A quilt with 36 blocks of appliqued flip flops and a seaside border to be donated as a raffle item for TOPS.

Due date - September 1st.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
Moonflame
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2014 02:21:38 PM »

Wow!  That Potterish trunk is AMAZING!!!

Midkiffsjoy Your bed and bedding for Bluet are fantastic!  That mattress is to die for!  Wow!!

J_Kieviet That sounds like an excellent proposal!  Can't wait to see how it turns out!  And WELCOME TO HUFFLEPUFF!!!!

OK, I'm finally turning in a bunch of things I've been working on since Summer term started. Smiley

Class: Alchemy
S.P.E.W: n/a
Project Name: Tea-time Tin
Project Description: I was doodling during class when I was supposed to be taking notes, and somehow tin (the element) became tin (the kind you put things in.)  At least there is also a bit of water represented here (in the tea.)  This started life as a Trader Joe's mint tin, and is now a fun little thing for me to keep my bits and bobs organised.  (Probably more stitch markers!)  I started with yellow daisy paper, added some washi tape and some lovely, transparent Japanese photo flake "stickers" (not actually sticky) - or "PHOTRIP." I also added some deco pearl cabochons, and then a swirl of silicone "whipped cream" and some air-dry clay fruits, mint leaf, and a doughnut.  I originally made it to sell, but I love it too much, LOL!
Project Pic:

Class: Arithmancy
Project Name: Arithmagnetic!
Project Description: A group of 9 strawberry cream pies - luscious strawberry pudding fills light-as-air crusts and is topped with a rich whipped cream swirl!  Sparkling accents of deco pearl, microbeads and glitter finish off these tasty pies!  These are actually mini, scented, non-edible magnets. ^_^
Project Pic:

Class: Astronomy
Project Name: Keep-it-together face pads
Project Description: This little crocheted bag brings order to an otherwise chaotic spread of crocheted face pads.
Project Pic:

Class: Charms
Project Name: Thank You Cutie-Pie!
Project Description: My mom lives in a Senior housing complex and the woman who does the administrative work is a truly lovely person.  She often brings her daughter along, who is super sweet and loves to visit my mom's cat, Pasha.  They often bring Pasha treats of catnip and toys, and it really makes me happy to know that they're there since I'm so far away.  This little pie necklace is just a small thank-you for the girlie.  It also has really sparkly microbeads that don't show up in the pic. Smiley
Project Pic:

Class: History of Magic
Project Name: Decoden Cabochon Bonanaza!
Project Description: I got my love of miniatures from my mom, as well as my make-it-yourself attitude.  When I was little, my sis and I had a dollhouse made from a cardboard box, and it was furnished with a lamp made from a marble with a toothpaste cap shade, little balsa-wood beds and dressers, crocheted rugs, and the like.  I've always adored miniatures - both making and buying them! ^_^  Decoden fits in with my mini obsession because I get to use lots of adorable little foods etc.  I decided to make a bunch of my own as well, and it is SO MUCH FUN!  These are made with different air-dry clays - Mostly Model Magic and Delight.  The foods are moulded from little push moulds I made myself from existing cabochons and Oyumaru plastic clay.  (How to do this will probably be my DADA class. Smiley  )  
Project Pic:

and a closer look at a few of the pieces:

and finally. . .

Challenge: Bertie Bott's Dog Food
Project Name: Catnip Tyrant Series 1
Project Description:I've been toying with the idea of making a series of catnip despots for my kitties to terrorise, and I finally started.  Of course, one must begin with Hitler.  I'm considering adding Mao, Stalin, and maybe Kim Jong-Il. . . ^_^  So far I've seen him being attacked by at least one of the cats, and right now he's sulking under the cat tree, having been dragged there against his will.
Project Pic:

Class: Flying
Project Name: Hovering Sandwich Biscuit
Project Description: In the spirit of the hovering cupcakes intended for Crabbe and Goyle, here's another tasty treat that will dangle in mid-air.  To make the Muggles less suspicious, it will be suspended from a backpack zipper.  This delightful treat is actually made from make-up sponges, acrylic paint, silicone, air-dry clay, microbeads and glitter.
Project Pic:

Project Pic:

Class: Divination
Project Name: Summer Altar
Project Description: My Summer altar is not an obvious altar to those who are unfamiliar with the Craft.  I maintain it in the main entryway and use it as a seasonal display and altar.  This one includes amethyst, and a big bunch of homegrown lavender that I just harvested.  I "prettied-up" a glass jar (from furikake - Japanese rice seasoning) and put a bunch of my lavender in it.  Both amethyst and lavender are known for their protection properties, among other things, and the entryway is a great place for such a ward.
Project Pics:

The table:

and the lavender jar:

Class: Potions
Project Name: 3 Sweet Treats
Project Description: These are a blend of truth and lies.  Most of us are aware that the cake is a lie, and this project bears out that truth, because these cakes are definitely not edible!  The truth is, though, that they were delightfully fun to create!  Sorry they're not all in focus. :/
Project Pic:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014 08:25:14 PM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2014 06:27:29 AM »

Some notes from the Headmistress....

~*Congratulations BadWolf314*~
~*You are the first to earn the Arithmancy Badge!*~

~*Congratulations to FiberAlchemist*~
~*You are the first to earn the Potions Badge*~

~*Congratulations to rockmygypsysoul, midkiffsjoy, FiberAlchemist, netchez, noodle-bug, teag, vincentvanbuck, ErinAquaheart, TechnicolorAquahearts & Mistress Jennie*~
~*You have all earned the Choose Your Champions Badge*~

The new Detention Challenges for July was been posted a few days ago!
Be sure to check the Detention in the Dungeons Post to see what it is....

Remember, you can do any, all, or none of the Detention Challenges as they come up each month.  The goal here is always to be excited about our crafting!  Also please remember that you can submit ANY of the Detention Challenges at ANY time during the semester.  For example, you may turn in the June or July challenges in August.  Smiley

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges.  

*Once revealed, a class badge can be found in the Badge Station.*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014 03:43:31 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
netchez
« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2014 07:05:08 AM »

WOW!  These projects are coming in so fast and furious that I can't keep up!  And they are all amazing!  MidkiffsJoy... Your doll bed is amazing... Hidden compartment and all!  The bedding is beautiful. And the lace on the coverlet is gorgeous!  You are so very crafty!  Keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2014 07:23:44 PM »

Mistress Jennie: I did the Choose Your Champion Challenge as well. I made Sushi Rice and Edamame for Japan (its on pg 24). Just wanted to be sure that my team gets the points just in case my project got overlooked. Thanks

And to all the Moonies! Sailor Moon Crystal, the Sailor Moon rebirth, premiered this morning!  I got to watch it for free at www.crunchyroll.com  The second episode will stream in two weeks.  I love the new art and the story more closely follows the manga.  I giggled almost the entire episode!  LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Buttermilk Corn Bread
Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatloaf
New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
New Orleans Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Surf and Turf
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...