A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2014~  (Read 43973 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2014 04:54:59 PM »

Of course i want to meet up naantje! That would be great :-)
Definitely get the audio-guide around the hp studios; there's loads of extra info in them, as well as maps so you don't miss anything (it's like a little handheld screen with headphones) and loads of pictures etc that are cool to look through while you que at the entrance

I don't really have a plan for the hexies yet... Well, sort of a vague one, but at the mo i've got a couple of projects on so I'm just collecting hexies without really thinking it through yet.

Class; divination
House; ravenclaw
Project;
This origami fortune tell is an omen of cool things to come; it's filled with places my friends and i want to visit around town this summer, to help overcome our indecisiveness on any given day.
Actually, i had to make 2, to fit all our planned expeditions in!

Class; HoM
House; 'Clawsome
Project;
I have a really distinct memory of my grandma teaching me to chain stitch when i was doing some lettering on a book cover (to earn my needlecraft badge at Brownies)
This fabric covered postcard features chain-stitched lettering in her memory
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2014 05:21:05 PM »

Thanks for the run down, noodlebug. Originally, I was most interested in the HoM Professorship but then I realized Arithmancy was without a teacher. The requirements are fantastic and I think I'll give it a go. You're working my brain, ya know!

Class: Runes
SPEW:  n/a
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Stitched Inchie
Project Page Link (if available): Swap Gallery Here
Brief Description: I recently participated in the Twinchie Swap, which is basically an embroidered inchie. The requirements were simple: nothing over 2". After stalking my partner, I decided on a textural embroidery that resembles the striations/patterns of rocks and minerals, then try my hand at stumpwork overtop the background. This involved a trip to the library where I borrowed a book on rocks and minerals, one entitled The Bugopedia, and several on embroidery techniques. Because I had no idea what I was doing. After a trial run, I ended up with this. 1.5" inches square of single threaded art. So tiny, but incredibly fun to do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2014 07:10:42 PM »

Amazing stumpwork!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
calliemae
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2014 07:38:40 PM »

I think that beetle is phenomenal! Great work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Gifts in 2014: 17
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2014 09:08:44 PM »

pottermouth, that beetle looks absolutely stunning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Moonflame
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2014 05:39:14 AM »

Samash90 Your headboard is AMAZING!  Wow!

ErinAquahearts I love all the colour in your cupcake necklaces.  They're so cheery and lovely!  And your paint chip drawings are so cool!  I really like how the Mickey bracelet and necklace came out, too.  It'scool how it's not immediately obvious that they're all Mickey heads. Smiley  And OMG that lapis lazuli necklace is FAB!  I bet it was a big hit! Smiley

Technicolor Aquahearts I love all your ATCs!  And I think it's fantastic that you're introducing the kids to them now, and helping them to understand that art can be a thing for everyday life, not just school. Cheesy

Pottermouth Your balloon boy is so impressive!  Wow!  And your OWLs are so squuuueeeeeeeee-worthy! Cheesy  And holy cow!  That bug twinchie is a jaw-dropper.  SO COOL!!

Noodle-bug Your quilt block is great!  And the Elemental Elephants blanket is AWESOME!  I LOVE it!  I'm always inspired by your hexies.  Did you say you make your own paper pieces, or buy them?  I love knitting hexies, but I really think I'm going to try some paper-pieced ones, too.  Smiley  I think your origami activity-picker is a great idea!  Sometimes it's so surprising o have free time that we dither about what to do, and then the time is gone. :p  Your postcard turned out just lovely!  What a great tribute to memories of time with your Grandma. Smiley

Inselaffchen Oh my!  All that scanning sounds like tedious work.  Kudos to your for undertaking such a big project!  I have a ton of slides that need scanning.  I'm not looking forward to it, LOL!  That's a great pic of you as a wee little thing! Cheesy

Magpirate I adore those tiny books!  I know what you mean about crafting something and then not knowing what to do with it. :/  Maybe the books need more tiny things to go with them. . . ^_^  (I love making minis!)

FiberAlchemist Wow!  Your crumpets and sausage-rolls have me drooling and completely willing to go into a gluten-induced coma, LOL!  I think I'll experiment with a new GF flour blend I got and see what I can do!  So inspiring!

Naantje  All your tree-inspired jewellery is gorgeous!  I bet the recipients are going to be delighted! Smiley

Margaron  I love the bracelets you made!  The patterns and colours are beautiful!

I've been making crafty things, but still need to figure out what classes they fit, LOL! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
netchez
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2014 08:05:07 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride:History of Magic
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Cabbage Noodles
Project Page Link (if available): none
Brief Description: There were many days, as I was growing up, when we had meals that contained no meat (during the 40's and 50's) and this meal is one of my favorites.  My mother always let me help her cook when I was little and in high school, she made sure that I took Home Economics (sewing and cooking as well as other "home" type things).  One of my projects was to do all the cooking for the family for six weeks.  Needless to say it was not hard, since I already knew how to cook.  This meal contains cabbage, wide egg noodles, butter, oil, and salt and pepper (to taste).  There are no "real" measurements... I just "play it by ear". This feeds six.  The steps are:
  1.  Shred a head of cabbage (I LOVE cabbage)
  ** Optional:  Sprinkle salt on the cabbage and mix (about 1 tbs) This will help pull out the excess water from the cabbage.
  2.  Put a small amount of oil in the frying pan along with 2 pats of butter
  3.  Cook noodles in boiling water until done to your taste
  4.  While noodles are cooking, saute the cabbage.  It will start to turn color as it cooks.
  5.  Drain noodles and add to cabbage. 
  6.  Salt and pepper to taste.
This is in remembrance of my mother and DAD who were married over 56 years (and I never heard them argue).
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2014 09:08:21 AM »

Moonflame - i print own paper templates, on the back of scrap paper (old homework sheets, etc). You can get templates online , where you put in the size you want and it creates a download to print - i just googled 'hexagon template printable'. Different layouts on the paper are easier to  cut depending if you will use scissors or a rotor cutter so have a look around the interwebs  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2014 10:03:15 AM »

That looks so yummy!  I loved simple meals like that when I was a kid, and still do...

My mom's take on that was cabbage, rice noodles, and soy sauce...comfort foods are universal, aren't they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2014 12:13:35 PM »

First, wonderful projects everyone!! I don't have time to comment individually at the moment, but I have looked at everything and it is a wonderful start to this semester.

Second, Ravenclaw Common Room is up to date!!

Third, I will be logging any recipes you turn in this semester in the Hogwarts Kitchens.  You can find all of your recipes and the elves' recipes via that link or on the second page of the thread.

and
All of you guys: be jealous!!! I just booked our visit to the Leavesden Studio Tour of the Harry Potter studios! Me and my husband will be visiting the sets on Harry's birthday (July 31st). This was one of the gifts we got for our wedding (we're celebrating our nine month anniversary this Friday the thirteenth) and now we're really going. I've still got to book the rest of the trip (space to sleep, and eurostar/coach/airplane) but we'll be going to London for four or five days. Probably July 29th - August 2nd. (Noodle-bug, do you want to meet up?) I can't imagine it being anything less than magical. Now, on to my coursework!

Yes, I am jealous.  Tongue  Since they opened the studio tour it has been on my list of movie/TV related tours to visit.  But I cannot be jealous for too long because my husband and I booked a trip to Universal this fall for our anniversary.  Yay Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and Diagon Alley will be open by then too!  Sorry, I had to tell someone, my family and friends think it's all just too nerdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paola Antonelli on Features of Designs
The Advantages of Print Cartoons Over Animation
The Cultural Importance of the New Yorker Cover Illustrations
The Benefits of Comic Books to Children
A Brief History of Comics
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...