A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hogwarts Castle Birdfeeder  (Read 3978 times)
Tags for this thread: bird_feeder , hogwarts , harry_potter , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2014 09:11:33 PM »

I was asked by tapestrymlp to be her partner in the recent Invite Your Partner swap, and since she's a serious fan of all things Harry Potterish, I decided to make her a birdfeeder in the shape of Hogwarts.

I based it on photos of Hogwarts from the movies and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, with a lot of reductions and simplifications. It looks like a cluster of separate buildings but actually is a single hollow box, made mostly of thin plywood. I added windows, doors and details by carving them into pieces of even thinner plywood and gluing them on the outside. Extra bits of thin wood are glued and tacked on for additional mouldings, door frames, etc. I tried to simplify it as much as I possibly could and without making it look too flat, but I wished I could have spent more time on details. (For instance it just kills me that the towers had to be straight all the way down, instead of flaring out at the base the way they ought to. But I'll live with it.) Cheesy

Some of the towers, like the two square ones on the end, are cut from pieces of solid pine, with details carved directly into the wood. I shaped the little pointed roofs on the turrets from pieces of wood and fixed them on with little pieces of dowel or screws. The large, round turret roofs were turned on a wood lathe.

The large Staircase Tower is a piece of heavy cardboard tube, as are most of the smaller towers and turrets. The roofs are all made of thin sheet aluminum, to make them durable for the outdoors. Because of the way the roofs fit together and into the surrounding towers, I had to first make paper patterns by trial-and-error until they mostly fit, then cut and re-cut a series of cardboard mock-ups til I got one that fit well enough to cut in metal. The aluminum, which is sold in hardware stores for roof patching and eavestroughs, is easy to cut and fold with scissors and a straightedge. I fastened the roof pieces together where necessary with pop-rivets and nailed the edges down with tiny brads.

The conical roof of the Staircase tower is removable, as is a section of the roof from the opposite end, to allow birdseed to be poured in. The seed comes out openings cut into the "rocks" under the castle and into the surrounding tray for the birds. The rocks are sawn scraps of pine board, roughly carved into rocky shapes and sealed with a layer of tissue paper and glue. They're glued and screwed to the to the tray and the castle is glued on top of them. I never like to rely just on glue for something like that, but as the edges of the walls are quite thin, there really wasn't anything else to attach them to. I used "No More Nails" adhesive, so I'm hoping it will hold.

While I had a lot of fun building this - too much fun, because it took me weeks past the send-out date Embarrassed - I had made several near-catastrophic errors in planning. First, I roughly sketched out the plan and started cutting out walls, but quickly realized it was going to be too big. So I scaled it down by about 25% and started again. (The final size is about 14" x 22" by 18" high, or 32 cm x 55 cm x 45 cm.) Then I assembled the main body of the castle and the high Astronomy Tower cluster simultaneously (so that I could work on one part while glue was drying on the other) and when I put them together I realized I'd barely allowed enough room for the tower! Then I built a lovely seed tray with little turned wood spindles along the edge (left over from another project), only to realize I'd mis-measured and it wasn't actually long enough to contain the castle. Angry There was no way to alter the dimensions of either, so the tray had to be rebuilt (simpler, this time.) Finally, when it was all finished, and I'd found a box the right size to ship it in, I went to slide it into the box and discovered that I'd measured the height of the tallest tower before I glued the rocky base on the castle, and now it didn't fit into the box. So at the last minute I had to literally saw the top inch off the turret and make it removable! If I had thought it through from the beginning, it would have been much more sensible to make the whole central tower removable for shipping, but I was having too much fun and wasn't paying attention.

I'm not convinced it's the most practical birdfeeder ever made, but I don't think that matters too much. This was the first model building like this I've made, and now I want to make more! I can easily imagine Hogwarts as a multi-occupant birdhouse, for example. That's maybe a bit ambitious, but smaller individual birdhouses with little towers and turrets would be fun too.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014 09:20:51 PM »

It only make sense to me that Wulf is who really made Hogwarts.  Originally, I was in the, "NO!!! That simply can NOT be used as a bird feeder!!"...but then he said the birds had a right to pretend to be wizards and witches, and now I'm in the, "It's a perfect bird feeder!" department Grin Amazing as normal Wulf Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014 10:03:39 PM »

holy friggin moley! that knocks the socks off every other 'make your own bird feeder' ive ever seen! Shocked

you might be bemoaning the lack of detail but the rest of us are drooling over this, i cant even chose a favourite bit.
wow. just wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014 11:24:26 PM »

What a brilliant piece.  A great idea to make a Hogwarts for birds - "Hawkwarts" perhaps - although the intention is obviously to feed seed eaters only.  I would love to have such a bird feeder in my garden.  It will look stunning when it is surrounded and covered with the birds all coming for the grain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014 11:50:54 PM »

This ROCKS!

Salat,
stunned
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014 02:37:22 AM »

mindblown & speechless!! Can't "rock" this hard enough  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014 05:35:06 AM »

Stupendous concept and execution!  I especially like the seed delivery system. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014 05:38:16 AM »

What a fun and completely insane project. But once you have a vision, it is hard to stop. The birds are so lucky to have such a fabulous restaurant to eat at!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014 06:02:40 AM »

Simply incredible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014 06:39:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing your process...it is fascinating..even the bits where you think you "goofed"....it turned out really exceptional...the seed delivery is well thought out as well so that seed is dispersed all around...

A project worth waiting for...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a 3-D Christmas Card
Home Spun Wool Works in Pleasureville, Kentucky
Easy-to-Sew Mittens With Molly Ringwald
How to Make a Paper-Vinyl Wallet
How to Make a Butter Sculpture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...