A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hogwarts Castle Birdfeeder  (Read 3349 times)
Tags for this thread: bird_feeder , hogwarts , harry_potter , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2014 09:11:33 PM »

I was asked by tapestrymlp to be her partner in the recent Invite Your Partner swap, and since she's a serious fan of all things Harry Potterish, I decided to make her a birdfeeder in the shape of Hogwarts.

I based it on photos of Hogwarts from the movies and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, with a lot of reductions and simplifications. It looks like a cluster of separate buildings but actually is a single hollow box, made mostly of thin plywood. I added windows, doors and details by carving them into pieces of even thinner plywood and gluing them on the outside. Extra bits of thin wood are glued and tacked on for additional mouldings, door frames, etc. I tried to simplify it as much as I possibly could and without making it look too flat, but I wished I could have spent more time on details. (For instance it just kills me that the towers had to be straight all the way down, instead of flaring out at the base the way they ought to. But I'll live with it.) Cheesy

Some of the towers, like the two square ones on the end, are cut from pieces of solid pine, with details carved directly into the wood. I shaped the little pointed roofs on the turrets from pieces of wood and fixed them on with little pieces of dowel or screws. The large, round turret roofs were turned on a wood lathe.

The large Staircase Tower is a piece of heavy cardboard tube, as are most of the smaller towers and turrets. The roofs are all made of thin sheet aluminum, to make them durable for the outdoors. Because of the way the roofs fit together and into the surrounding towers, I had to first make paper patterns by trial-and-error until they mostly fit, then cut and re-cut a series of cardboard mock-ups til I got one that fit well enough to cut in metal. The aluminum, which is sold in hardware stores for roof patching and eavestroughs, is easy to cut and fold with scissors and a straightedge. I fastened the roof pieces together where necessary with pop-rivets and nailed the edges down with tiny brads.

The conical roof of the Staircase tower is removable, as is a section of the roof from the opposite end, to allow birdseed to be poured in. The seed comes out openings cut into the "rocks" under the castle and into the surrounding tray for the birds. The rocks are sawn scraps of pine board, roughly carved into rocky shapes and sealed with a layer of tissue paper and glue. They're glued and screwed to the to the tray and the castle is glued on top of them. I never like to rely just on glue for something like that, but as the edges of the walls are quite thin, there really wasn't anything else to attach them to. I used "No More Nails" adhesive, so I'm hoping it will hold.

While I had a lot of fun building this - too much fun, because it took me weeks past the send-out date Embarrassed - I had made several near-catastrophic errors in planning. First, I roughly sketched out the plan and started cutting out walls, but quickly realized it was going to be too big. So I scaled it down by about 25% and started again. (The final size is about 14" x 22" by 18" high, or 32 cm x 55 cm x 45 cm.) Then I assembled the main body of the castle and the high Astronomy Tower cluster simultaneously (so that I could work on one part while glue was drying on the other) and when I put them together I realized I'd barely allowed enough room for the tower! Then I built a lovely seed tray with little turned wood spindles along the edge (left over from another project), only to realize I'd mis-measured and it wasn't actually long enough to contain the castle. Angry There was no way to alter the dimensions of either, so the tray had to be rebuilt (simpler, this time.) Finally, when it was all finished, and I'd found a box the right size to ship it in, I went to slide it into the box and discovered that I'd measured the height of the tallest tower before I glued the rocky base on the castle, and now it didn't fit into the box. So at the last minute I had to literally saw the top inch off the turret and make it removable! If I had thought it through from the beginning, it would have been much more sensible to make the whole central tower removable for shipping, but I was having too much fun and wasn't paying attention.

I'm not convinced it's the most practical birdfeeder ever made, but I don't think that matters too much. This was the first model building like this I've made, and now I want to make more! I can easily imagine Hogwarts as a multi-occupant birdhouse, for example. That's maybe a bit ambitious, but smaller individual birdhouses with little towers and turrets would be fun too.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014 09:20:51 PM »

It only make sense to me that Wulf is who really made Hogwarts.  Originally, I was in the, "NO!!! That simply can NOT be used as a bird feeder!!"...but then he said the birds had a right to pretend to be wizards and witches, and now I'm in the, "It's a perfect bird feeder!" department Grin Amazing as normal Wulf Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014 10:03:39 PM »

holy friggin moley! that knocks the socks off every other 'make your own bird feeder' ive ever seen! Shocked

you might be bemoaning the lack of detail but the rest of us are drooling over this, i cant even chose a favourite bit.
wow. just wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014 11:24:26 PM »

What a brilliant piece.  A great idea to make a Hogwarts for birds - "Hawkwarts" perhaps - although the intention is obviously to feed seed eaters only.  I would love to have such a bird feeder in my garden.  It will look stunning when it is surrounded and covered with the birds all coming for the grain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014 11:50:54 PM »

This ROCKS!

Salat,
stunned
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014 02:37:22 AM »

mindblown & speechless!! Can't "rock" this hard enough  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014 05:35:06 AM »

Stupendous concept and execution!  I especially like the seed delivery system. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014 05:38:16 AM »

What a fun and completely insane project. But once you have a vision, it is hard to stop. The birds are so lucky to have such a fabulous restaurant to eat at!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014 06:02:40 AM »

Simply incredible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014 06:39:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing your process...it is fascinating..even the bits where you think you "goofed"....it turned out really exceptional...the seed delivery is well thought out as well so that seed is dispersed all around...

A project worth waiting for...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014 06:50:35 AM »

WOW!  Just WOW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014 07:08:01 AM »

I'm just about gobsmacked!  What a tremendously tremendous project. And for a swap!  I don't even know from Hogwarts, but I know this is an amazing feat.  From the beginning of the post I wondered, "how did he ship that?" and then you told us.  May I ask how much it weighs?  And how someone can ever live with the knowledge that birds are going to defecate on it?  GAH!

Also, I'd like to throw "Hogwarbler's" in to the ring for possible silly names.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014 07:13:03 AM »

Um.... This ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014 07:51:03 AM »

This rocks big time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014 08:22:22 AM »

Of course now we all need one of these of our favorite castles!

I'd like a Tower of Flints bird feeder, please.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tapestrymlp

~Tapestry~

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014 10:28:32 AM »

I need to figure out a way to put the bird feeder in our yard so that it's easily moved inside. That way I can have it out during the spring but bring it inside during winter or when it storms. Wulf wants a picture of the feeder covered in birds and I have to admit that's an enchanting idea Cheesy I am the lucky recipient of the bird feeder if you hadn't guessed.

I'd like to post mount the castle, but that might be a tricky proposition. It's meant to be hung from each of the four corners with eye bolts. I may hang it on the edge of our porch. My husband and I are still working out the logistics.

Pictures really don't do the castle justice, it's amazing and I am soooooooooooo lucky to have been Wulf's partner for this swap Cheesy Courage pays off sometimes so never be afraid to ask one of your craftster crushes to dance in an IYP swap with you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Tapestry~

Visit my Etsy store for magical crafts & whimsical figures, http://petitepotions.etsy.com
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014 03:40:56 PM »

Wulf, every time you post something, I'm more amazed than I thought possible.  This is stunning, and I'm uber-jealous.  Well done sir, well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014 05:10:03 PM »

Ab. jljoshieolsm. heoltgojs!

mind blown, brain melted. WOW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014 07:35:27 PM »

Breathtaking
Incredible
Remarkable
Dumbfounding
Fascinating
Extraordinary
Exceptionnal
Dynamite
Eye-opening
Razzle-dazzle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014 09:58:07 PM »

WOWza!  That is fantastic!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Alittlemusthave

Another cup of tea ?

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014 11:17:03 PM »

Of course now we all need one of these of our favorite castles!

I'd like a Tower of Flints bird feeder, please.   Wink

Haha yes and I would like castle black from game of thrones and the German Disney castle and.. And.. And..and
Well done great job! An amazing effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014 04:12:12 AM »

Oh my glob, this is a bird feeding masterpiece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
The Raging Sloth

Because Papier-Mache solves everything...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014 06:05:20 AM »

Wulf, this is just exceptional! Totally amazing and your skills are top notch. Any harry potter fan would love this and I think you did amazingly on the details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014 12:34:16 PM »

Flabbergasted...  I can't describe it any better!!!

You rock Wulf! I thought you rock before this castle, what is better than that  Huh
Fantastisch, geweldig, ongelofelijk, gaaf!!! So I just comment it in Dutch  Grin

Thanks for the details and the description.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014 02:43:03 PM »

What a fun and completely insane project. But once you have a vision, it is hard to stop.

You are SO right about that! Almost from the moment I had the original idea, I thought "This is going to get out of hand." And it did. And I'm glad.

I didn't think it was that heavy, in fact I was pleased that I'd managed to keep the weight down. Then when I got it to the post office, the scale said 4.92 kg. Yikes! That and the dimensions (even with the top bit lopped off) made it expensive to mail. But I knew it would be, and I kept going anyway!  Cheesy

Sorry, Jenn, one of the items on my list of things I intended to do but ran out of time for, was a pole-mounting plate. So I'm afraid you'll have to add it yourself. I'll put together a PM of instructions/suggestions for it.

Glad everyone liked it, and thanks for the Potterish bird puns. Always appreciated! And you all got me thinking of additional castles to make. Gormenghast would have to be at the top of the list, of course. I'll get right on it.

Wulf

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mdelilahcarlson

so many crafts, so little time...

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014 06:48:51 PM »

Amazing, Wulf! I'm so very impressed! (And jealous :-))

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014 07:38:57 PM »

holy crap. wow
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have some spare roving you're willing to part with? Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014 06:34:23 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014 07:12:55 AM »

I am one of the speechless. Wow. Just WOW!!!!!!!!
 Of course, this rocks!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tapestrymlp

~Tapestry~

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014 07:35:00 AM »

Oh I'd love to see your rendition of Gormenghast. Congrats on being featured! You're project and mine are in the same "Featured Projects" set which is utterly thrilling. I'm trying to brainstorm a mounting plate that will allow the feeder to be easily removed from the post and yet secure. I need to put on my tinkerer's hat and take off my crafty hat for a bit I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Tapestry~

Visit my Etsy store for magical crafts & whimsical figures, http://petitepotions.etsy.com
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2014 04:35:28 AM »

Wulf!!! You never cesse to amaze me. I saw the image and wonder who on earth would possibly make an Hogwart birdhouse... Wulf, of course, the one and only!  This is absolutely amazing! But what to expect from someone who actually made a real life kidsized may pole to send?
My son says he'd like one like it! Smiley

Well done, friend!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
anderlance
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2014 09:52:44 AM »

OMG!  Simply amazing!  This rocks by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014 01:44:31 PM »

Thanks, Racky - this is my very first Featured Project!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014 06:11:14 PM »

Wulf
How is that even possible Wulf?  You make some of the coolest stuff here!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014 02:43:08 AM »

Wulf

Really?!?! I'm with thisbirdsabsurd, how on Earth is that possible?  Huh
Not even that sorter bin from some time ago??

Any way, congratulations!  Smiley !! Well, well deserved!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014 12:35:20 PM »

Wulf that is amazing! Wonderful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014 02:56:59 PM »

Wulf

No way! It's about damn time then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014 12:16:39 AM »

Holy frijoles! very nicely done. it amazes me what swap partners are willing to do for each other! So jealous! It's about time you got featured. your works are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014 06:16:52 PM »

I thought your screw dispenser had been featured once?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014 04:25:06 PM »

I thought your screw dispenser had been featured once?

Hmm, you may be right, Andrann. The hardware sorter was a long time ago, and I didn't realize that being a Featured Project was a Big Deal!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014 02:50:23 PM »

Wow!!!    Shocked   That is amazing!    Cheesy    This definitely rocks!    Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BriannaB03
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014 10:25:06 PM »

Wow!  This is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coocoosnest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014 05:15:40 PM »

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

OMG!!!

This is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learning to live by the dark of the moon as well as the light of the day.
newtread
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014 05:05:37 PM »

This is spectacular. I want to build this a bit bigger so I can use it. Ha Ha. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website.
I make Wall and Car Decals, Buttons, Stickers, Shirts and More.
PM me if you want to swap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
How to Prepare a Thai Breakfast
How to Cook Thai Chicken with Coconut and Basil
How to Prepare Unagi Nigiri
How to Prepare Tsukemono
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...