A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need some tips about freeform crochet?  (Read 277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wuggums47
« on: May 19, 2014 01:05:00 PM »

I make my own yarn, but have been horrible at knitting, so I tried crochet. I'm a beginner at it, I can follow basic patterns, but I don't have all the techniques that I'll need. I want to learn to do freeform crochet, and I have done one very easy freeform crochet project out of ugly pink acrylic yarn. What are some projects I could work on to add more techniques to my repetoire, so I can use them in freeform? When I start freeforming, is there anything I should be doing other than just making fabric without rules? Are there techniques that I should know before starting? Also for crocheting in the round, do I still chain at the start of each new row?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just need some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofcrows
Unrepentant Alistair/Jowan Whore

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014 11:17:21 AM »

For me personally, one of the benefits of freeform crochet is going in with no patterns, no rules (other than knowing how certain fiber types react), and finding out what works together and what doesn't. I guess it depends on whether you're trying to have a finished product that will last, or just want to have some fun.

If you're going to be doing the former, some things to consider are whether a fiber felts or not, how you'll have to wash things, dye permanence, and so on. Are you going to wear it? Display it somewhere where sun can get at it?

If you're doing the latter, just go for it! Practice the techniques you want to practice and see how you can fit things together, how yarns interact, what colors jive. I learned a lot about what works and what doesn't work that way. Just think about what you want to work on.

As for CITR, that depends on the look you want. If you do a sl st join and a rising chain, you'll have a visible line that curves around your pieces, which you may want. If you work in unjoined, continuous rounds, you'll have a very smooth look but you WON'T have even rounds if you want to have perfectly aligned buttons or whatever. If you want the best of both worlds, I unhesitatingly recommend Deja Jetmir's invisible straight seam method (http://crocheteverafter.com/tutorials/single-crochet-tutorials/invisible-straight-seam-in-single-crochet-when-working-in-the-round/), which is about all I ever use now. It gives even rounds without jogs, and as promised an invisible join. This makes it ideal for in-the-round applications with colorwork and so on.

Hopefully some of that helped. Please feel free to PM me if you've got a question on something in particular. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I prefer male Grey Wardens.

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

My deviantART (fiber + digital): http://queenofthecrows.deviantart.com
Wuggums47
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014 01:52:34 PM »

I just made an unraveled scarf with freeform crochet, and I think it's the first thing I've made that I love. I spun the yarn myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Narine Nikogosian Offers Simple Solutions for Tired Eyes
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Reveal Their Most Noticeable Trait
Nene Leakes Talks About Never Make the Same Mistake Twice
Philippa Gregory on The Plantagenets
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...