A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kenmore 158.17851 cams?  (Read 420 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McDreamy
« on: May 18, 2014 07:03:58 PM »

Here's a flickr album with a set of photos of my machine.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71276004@N04/sets/72157644720882604/

The Kenmore box that came with it has all the super-long shank presser feet that work with my machine.
The monogram cam tray however seems to be for a different animal in the Kenmore circus.
https://flic.kr/p/nn4Z8g

The bobbin plate cam holder is obviously not going to fit where my bobbin plate fits.
https://flic.kr/p/nDyCix
https://flic.kr/p/nDgKbR

All the other cams fit in the cam holder at the top of the machine and work as expected.
https://flic.kr/p/nn4WrV

Additionally, the monogram tray only has room for ten cams. As with all the other trays in this box, the items are nestled into crevices that are designed to hold these specific parts, so it's definitely a Kenmore monogrammer -- just not for my machine. I'm guessing I'm missing an entire tray of cams for this Kenmore box because the alphabet would be 26 cams. Add numbers, an ampersand, hyphen, etc. and I'm guessing the original kit was around 40 cams total.

Apologies for no images. Newbie poster.

I don't see anything like these monogram cams on ebay or other venues that talk about Kenmore cams.

Does anyone have an idea which machine these are for?

Was there a monogram cam system for the 158.1785 series?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014 07:06:56 PM by McDreamy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
McDreamy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014 07:52:43 AM »

Okay, I've found a couple places that have images of machines that look like they might take this monogram attachment. One of them is this site with instruction manuals for sale. They offer images of the machines for comparison with your own.

The machines that seem likely to be compatible with the monogram bobbin plate are all 158 machines with these sub-model categories:
1400, 1410, 1430, (1431?), 1503, 1504, 1515, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1650, 1652, 1653, 1654.

Other models have different bobbin arragements and architecture that look incompatible with this monogramming bobbin plate. Most of the images for these machines look like they don't use the super high shank presser feet. So if one of these models is super high shank, that's probably the one for which the green tray box was made.

The monogram cams are identical to those made by Singer for various Singer machines. At one point, it looks like Singer made cams for Kenmore-branded machines. The same cams are used in different machine attachment systems.

I'll probably keep the trays together as a set. Perhaps one day I'll own one of these other Kenmores.

I still wonder whether there is a monogram attachment for this machine. It would make sense that it would use the same pinion that sits under the pinion cover plate of my 17851.

I'd be grateful for any insights others may have on this model and the likelihood of a monogram attachment for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabu15
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014 10:29:43 AM »

Your right about this monogrammer not going with your machine. I got one today with this sort of system. It has instructions as well on how to use it. The pieces clearly are to large to snap on to the model you have. How strange that they would be together! I can send pictures of it attached to mine later today. Do you mind telling me what letters yours has? Mine only has 10 as well. Apparently they only came with so many and extra letters were purchased separately. The box that you have is 1 of 2 big boxes that came with the style of machine that I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Makeup Tricks That Will Hide the Effects of Allergies and Illness
Essie Shows You How to Pick Your Perfect Shade of Red!
Our Picks For Favorite Toners
I Got Fat-Shamed On My Morning Commute
How to Apply Bronzer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...