A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question about tunisian hooks  (Read 301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissy-poo
« on: May 17, 2014 06:26:14 AM »

So I started out with the tunisian stitch a little while ago to do some colorwork, but all I have for a hook is the kind that's about 12" long with a stopper on the end, which really limits what I can do with it. I was looking at getting a set with cables, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I usually use bamboo or other wood hooks, the only time I use metal is when I am using the teeny tiny ones for snowflakes and such. I was looking at a set of bamboo hooks with cables on ebay, like this set

Has anyone used this type before with the bamboo hook and the plastic tube? Did your yarn slide over the plastic ok? I just find the metal hooks so heavy, especially when I like to crochet for hours at a time. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofcrows
Unrepentant Alistair/Jowan Whore

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014 08:00:21 PM »

I really am not a fan of the tube. Things never slid well on mine, or the tube popped off the hook, you only get one length really, and you really are limited in stitch size by how damn big that tube is.

Plus, you've got all those hooks and tubes to deal with, and they take up a lot of room!

If you're serious about investing in a set of cabled Tunisian hooks, I have the Knitter's Pride Dreamz set and love them. You get multiple lengths of cable, warm and smooth wood hooks that are interchangeable, and the cables are slim but strong. I've never had issues with my work snagging on them and they take up much less room than a big glob of tubing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014 08:00:57 PM by queenofcrows » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I prefer male Grey Wardens.

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

My deviantART (fiber + digital): http://queenofthecrows.deviantart.com
krissy-poo
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014 04:10:22 AM »

What's the cable like on the KP ones? Like what's it made of? I never even thought of those. I have a set of the Symfonie Rose regular hooks that I loooove so I wouldn't mind another KP set. They're kinda pricey so I would have to wait till after my wedding next month, but might be worth the wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofcrows
Unrepentant Alistair/Jowan Whore

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014 02:35:06 PM »

Hm, well, it's a nice, slick synthetic, which I like because I've never had issues with yarn getting hung up on it. It's strong but quite thin, and I was pleasantly surprised at how pliable it was, much more so than a lot of circular needle cables I've run across. I'm not sure whether it can be steamed because I've never tried, since I never found the need to. It's always been quite cooperative, it curls but doesn't do that violent spring-back thing.

The set comes with either three or four different lengths, I forget which, plus extra end caps so that you can store your project on the cable without it unraveling, and without risking damaging a hook. I know they also sell the hooks individually, in case you need to replace one for whatever reason.

I've found that the hooks attach securely and aren't a pain to change out, which is nice! I think the longest cable the set comes with is 42", but I know you can buy couplers to join lengths together at yarn.com. I assume that they're universal across all of KP's cables, whether for knitting or crochet.

I would say that if you like KP products, it's absolutely worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I prefer male Grey Wardens.

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

My deviantART (fiber + digital): http://queenofthecrows.deviantart.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mastering the Perfect Omelette
Spam Championship: Shoulder Pork Ham Is a Big Deal, Apparently
Sausage and Peppers Po-Boy Recipe
Apple-Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...