A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm Moving to New Hampshire...!!!  (Read 4421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

muchachaK
« on: July 13, 2005 11:32:51 AM »

So give me the scoop crafters, I'm 30, I'm crafty, I'm moving to Concord, I'm vegetarian, and I do have a car so I can drive to wherever interesting things might be happening--what do I need to know?!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005 07:57:59 PM by muchachaK » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005 11:46:06 AM »

I'm not sure if they are still there, but there is supposed to be a vegetarian restuarant called Country Life in Keane, NH (which is West or SW from Concord).  The address and phone number (according to the website) is  15 Roxbury St. (603) 357-3975.  There used to be one in downtown Boston that shut its doors 18 months ago, and is sorely missed!  It was a vegetarian (or maybe even vegan) all-you-can-eat buffet for about $7.  It kicked some serious butt.

The NH Sheep and Wool Festival took place in mid-May northwest of Concord.  I had a blast and did not buy nearly as much yarn as I should have.  There are a few others places that I'm sure other craftsters can fill you in on (I'm in Cambridge, MA, and only make it up there a couple times a year).

Andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchachaK
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005 12:07:03 PM »

Oh yay!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollypop
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005 05:18:21 AM »

Hi! I just moved from Concord. There is definitely stuff to do there:

There is a great fabric store on Main Street called Peggy Anne's (http://www.peggyannes.com/). She's super nice and has a bunch of cool stuff. There is also a great bead store on main street called Bead It ( http://www.beadit.biz/ ). Again, the owner is super nice.
Whenever I visit Concord I always go to the Concord Antique Gallery. I can ususally find something good - vintage buttons, fabric, knitting needles, magazines. It's on Storrs Street (across from Burlington Coat Factory). Oh, speaking of knitting - The Elegant Ewe is an awesome knitting store (also on main street, though down a ways toward the I-93 entrance). Another great yarn store is the Fiber Studio in Henneker. I took a weaving class there and it was great, plus It's beautiful out that way.

For food - you will be able to find yummy vegetarian sandwiches and such at the Concord Food Coop (again on Main Street). Across the street from the coop is Bread and Chocolate - the most delicious bakery. Um, what else...there's a farmers market downtown every Saturday morning.

I'll write more if I think of anything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollypop
http://www.hollypopshop.com - unique handmade totes and accessories

Miss Mary
http://myspace.com/missmary - stripped-down 60s pop with a garage-rock attitude
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005 09:08:45 AM »

My orthodontist works out of concord... Smiley

erm... stuff to do. Concord has all sorts of wonderful cafes, and of course, you must browse main street for all sorts of crafty ideas. AS hollypop mentioned, there's Elegant Ewe, a farmers market, a michaels... (that's opened rather late)

Theres a fabulous antique store just off the epsom traffic circle... all sorts of buttons and clothing and all that.

Good luck! Concord rocks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
kstarsk
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005 09:32:17 AM »

Yay! I grew up in New Hampshire and Concord is really turning into a hip and fun place these days, you will love living there!

Let's see, there's a fabulous thai restaurant downtown (on main st?) that had a good vegetarian selection.  Manchester is about a half hour drive to the south and there is lots of fun stuff to do there, good bars and restaurants, same case with Nashua, (where i grew up!) which is about an hour south of Concord. check out the "Hippo", it's a free weekly arts and entertainment newspaper that lists things to do in manchester & nashua & the area http://www.hippopress.com/.  The Christa McAuliffe Planetarium is in Concord, that's a fun thing to do for an afternoon.  There's always stuff going on in the White Mountains/Lakes Region which you can find on tourist websites.  and if you can, you MUST go to Portsmouth on the coast for a day, there are tons of crafty shops, restaurants, bars, all within walking distance. it's really fun there.

As for craftyness, There is an excellent fabric store on Route 3 in Bedford, just outside of Manchester - Martin's house of Cloth.

enjoy! NH is the best place to live, i'd still be there if i could have found a good job!
Smiley kt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"there never was a good war or a bad peace"
-benjamin franklin
muchachaK
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 04:34:39 PM »

Wow, this is so awesome, thank you all--my sister took me to the Elegant Ewe once when I visited and it was sweeeeeet!  I heard they maybe have a knitting group there too...and I can't wait to check out all of this other stuff.  Hey hopefully this thread can turn into a really great what's fun going on in NH thread...anyone with NH tips not in the immediate Concord Area too, feel free to chime in, I have a car and will be in exploration mode upon arrival--plus other people might jones them too!  So many sweet little towns and I'll have plenty of free time at first to visit them.  Maybe I'll have to post some reviews Wink!

I used to spend my summers in the Stratham and Hollis areas when I was a kid so some of this will be familiar (Portsmouth was the first place I saw someone wearing an Echo and the Bunnymen t-shirt!) but most will be totally brand new!  As long as nobody tries to make me eat fried clams we're all good Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

speridakis
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005 07:20:19 AM »

Hi there-

I live in New Hampshire and have successfully adjusted to life here.  I hope you're liking Concord- it really is a pretty great place.  I'm a 32year old more or less vegetarian that would love to start a knitting group! I've lived here for a couple years now and haven't found a group.  Time to start my own!  Any interest?  Borders would be a good place to meet (air conditioned...)

- Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005 10:11:40 AM »

Hiya,  I'm not quite there (should be literally rolling into town about Sept 3rd) but I know the Borders you speak of and it would be a good place to meet, AND yes, I'd like to get a crafting group meeting up!  My sister and her friend are knitters and I think would looooove to join in too.  I actually don't knit--but I can learn how (or I can be the lone holdout crocheter)!

I'll message you when I get into town! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005 05:36:28 AM »

We New Hampshire craftsters should have a get together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
stoliedina
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005 05:05:04 AM »

Oi, I've been trying to get a knitting group going for a long time too - or even just a craft group. The New Hampshire "Craftster" population is just spread too thin across the state I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
nikkiana
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005 01:53:40 PM »

Welcome to the Concord area, muchachaK! I think pretty much everyone's gotten it covered what there is to do around here, cause I can't seem to think of anything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

speridakis
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005 05:29:41 PM »

Hi all-

Since there are a few of us that have thought about starting a knitting/crafting goup I think that we should jump in and do it!  How about Wednesday Oct. 26 at 6pm at the Concord Borders?  I'd love to start sooner (since I've lived here for over two years and am just getting off my duff and mustering up the courage to propose this), but I thought that it would be good to give people a couple weeks to check in here.

Soooo, sounds like a plan? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005 09:30:56 PM »

Hey I finally have landed back on the craft planet!  Took toooo long to get all settled in, but I'm here in Concord now...let's see...today's the 24th...I might actually be able to meet up on the 26th if it's possible to get something together that fast...anyone, anyone...I don't knit but i have plenty of portable projects I can work on...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 21/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 20/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 18/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 19/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 11/28
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...