I've been needing a new coin purse for a while now. My old one was getting too worn and was only made as a temporary measure anyway.
So I started looking for inspirations and found this via Pinterest :http://cyocorune.cocolog-nifty.com/unegoro/2011/10/post-e366.html
I just used the pictures to work out the steps involved.
And here's the result (I'll explain why there's two):
The small one I made first, as close as I could to the instructions, although I guessed that seam allowance wasn't included in the pattern. I found it very fiddly to make, trying to bend the thing to get it under the machine, it wasn't even large enough to fit around the arm of the machine whilst the full table was off.
I used that for a week, and quickly realised that it was too fiddly to use - I could just about get my fingers down to the bottom, but not enough to feel which coins were in there, or see to get the right one out. Plus there was no way of having notes in there, except by folding into eighths and blocking getting the coins out. Once I'd made the second though, I realised it was a very good card wallet.
So I made the second one, cutting out the pieces as if there was seam allowance included (to get the shorter height), but doubling every width to get a better length.
I decided somewhere along the way that I'd add the zip to keep my coins in the purse, and sewed the flap, zip and lining in separately to get them neat enough.
I have to say that it looks like it could well make a good pencil-case.
Here's a shot of the two with their lining in show - that's just poly habotai. I keep a stock of it in pink because I make so much pink stuff.
And here you can see the detail of the embellishment. I sew these myself with very thin ribbon.