A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute girly bunting tutorial by “Professional bunting maker” + 5 pics to LOL at!  (Read 2790 times)
Tags for this thread: bunting , tutorial , sewing , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewhighonlife

I need chocolate!

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2014 05:49:04 AM »

Grin

You can call yourself a professional after you make 10 meters of bunting, right?

Right!

Haha, the other night, and by night I mean midnight (which happens to be when I get all my amazing ideas which will practically take a day to whip up, but end up being ridiculously harder or complex than I’d imagined and take weeks if not months) I decided to make something for my friends new baby girl. I had made a quilt for her last baby girl and its posted on the quilt forum, A Chinook Quilt because her father flies Helicopters in the military (I also made a new best friend from that experience in quilt making, but a story for another time)

So living in a new small town, and not having ready access to quilting supplies, I decided to stick with what I had in the cupboard and something not as complex because my free time was not as great as when I’d made the quilt.

Bunting! cute, easy and fun. ……… well I guess its cute.

So the reason I’m also turning this into a tutorial is the fact that, what I thought would be super easy, actually wasn’t, so hopefully I can help shortcut other peoples work! Cheesy

First thing to think about is size… Because I certainly didn’t! I thought it would be cute to be able to drape it, or double back, or just do whatever. Doing two laps of the room and down the hallway probably isn’t what most people need… so after looking at how many flags I had cut out and realizing I had more flags than an international convention. I divided the bunting into two 5-meter long strings. I will give one to my friend’s baby and the other to my adult friend who has moved to Canada from Australia. Being a long way from home, I thought she might like some room decoration….

Roll Eyes Is bunting just for kids? I don’t know, I sit here looking at piles of unsent bunting, and I think it’s so pretty. So no, I think adults can have some too Wink Well I don’t know what my friend will think… But if its taboo… I’m sure she will have kids one day right!

So when you have decided on length, now decide on flag size. My template flag was just be getting a ruler and drawing on a piece of paper a triangle that looked sort of symmetrical, cutting it out and then cutting and cutting, until I think I got my edges all about even. After finishing the bunting I don’t know why I didn’t just fold a piece of paper in half, measure half the distance of the top of the flag from the fold down. Then put a dot, the distance away from the first line I wanted the length of the flag. Draw the lines up the side, fold it in half again cutting along the two lines and Bobs your uncle. Well I guess I had to be difficult. I now know that my triangle was slightly lopsided and it made it a bit difficult to sew back to back later on… My triangle was 12cm along the top by 15 to the tip.

Ok math time, so when you have the size of your triangle, its easy to divide the length of your desired string by the top of your flag and get how many you need to cut. 5 meters by 12 centimeters  = 41 flags…. I still shake my head when I realize I made over 80 flags…

So in my material stash, I had bundles of colour coded fat quarters, turns out they were perfect! For the size flag I had, I folded the quarter into thirds, then cut through all 3 layers, I could get 6 cuts with my template, which would have 3 pieces each, so 18 triangles all up and then once paired with each other I would get 9 flags of one colour.

Now, start sewing… I used black thread, didn’t really show, EXCEPT for when I was lazy and left the black strings loose inside a light pink flag, when held up against a window, it showed up all the dark strings inside the flag, so I pulled them out of the light pink and blue flags, the others you couldn’t see Wink I gave myself a ¼ inch seem (which means the triangle will be smaller than your template remember), I started at the top, and then went straight off at the tip and then started again from the other side, crossing the stitches as I got to the tip again, I didn’t bother back sewing.

Once you have piles

Cut the tip off each one, and the lose strings at the top, carefully fold them inside out, I used a cake decorating tool and a pen to push out the tip, because I didn’t back sew, be careful when pushing out the tip you don’t push too hard or the pen breaks through, return the broken ones to the sewing pile and fix them at the end, I had about 5 all up.

Iron them, and they look like this Smiley The smily face is because, unless you have a long phone call or something to think about, it could possibly be one of the longest most boring jobs ever, and when you are done, you can’t help but smile!

For the string/rope I used a matching colour fat quarter, folded it in half and cut one inch strips, then sewed them together end to end and cut close to the seam to tidy the joins (makes it so much easier to iron. Then I quite possibly had the worst job in the world. If you have a bias tape maker, I envy you. I even changed my facebook status to say, If only a Bias binding making machine sales person would come to my door right now! I live in the remote Australian desert in a town with 1000 people, it was never going to happen Sad

So I found the easiest way to do this was to get the iron very hot, lots of steam, and iron the whole length in half lengthways, then go back to the start, and fold the sides into the middle, press down on both with the iron and press the living daylights out of that binding, so it never loses it shape. You will probably have lots of little lose threads that fray from the strips, don’t cut them now, just fold them in and iron, and if some still stick out, cut them off the sewing stage, trust me! The iron seems to magically make 90% of them disappear. You think ironing flags in boring… Once you have stopped crying and recovered from all the burnt fingers, do another 5 meters like this crazy woman… no don’t, seriously don’t!

So then you have this

Sew about 3- 5 centimeters along the tape you made, no flags yet, and then hook this around on itself and sew in place. This is so you can hang it.

Before you put the flags in, using your cutter and a measuring datum, cut all the edges perfectly straight and all the same length. I would put the tip of the flag on the same spot and when it got to the line, I would chop it. Some flags must have been cut smaller in the first place, they were only a few mil short, and it doesn’t show in the final product, so still cut them straight, but try to save as much as you can, all the others were cut down to the line.

Once and only once you have perfectly straight tops, its time to sew Smiley but not before you have decided in which order to sew them. You could go for a pattern, but I went for random selection (in an orderly, not too much of one colour in one spot sort of way). Lay them out of the floor

The two stands before sewing.

Oh Hi Tonka

Now with your coiled tape in your lap, and your flags ready to sew, carefully insert the top of the flag, pull tightly and sew very close to the edge. You could go for contrast thread or zigzag, but I went for a straight stitch in white, which you can’t see in the pale pink. If you go contrast, have a full bobbin, or you will have double up and people will see it. Sew slowly until you have the idea and you know your flags are secured. Ironically, after finishing, I was inspecting, and half my first flag wasn’t secured…. Hmmm back when I was a rookie.

Now, depending on how much you care, there is a front to the bunting and a back. So because some of the fabric had patterns and when you cut it, some are upside down pattern wise, you can be careful and make sure the best side of the flag is showing, or you can not bother and nobody will notice Wink

The sewing machine spews forth goodness!!!

When you are done, make another little loop at the other end, and I sewed a little pink button over the place where I stitch it in place. You think I could find two matching buttons…..

Now prance around the house with it! I live alone, so not too worried. Find a place to hang it and then realize, nobody needs 5 meters of bunting…. Try different camera angles to make it took pretty.. 

Looks sort of boring… what else can I hang it on…   

Ahhhhhhh, Hi Tonka…

“what are you doing?”

“Seriously”

“Ok, I’m cool with this”

“Work the camera, yeah!”

Hahahaha poor Tonka Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014 07:15:22 AM »

Hahaha! LOL! Poor Tonka! Not that she/he looks too sad/mad/angry... maybe a little confused!

Nice tutorial! I have been wanting go make me some bunting, but it felt like too much work  Tongue

Maybe someday!  Smiley

Thanks for your tutorial and the fun pics! Give Tonka a big hug!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandyk

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014 11:12:49 AM »

Thanks s much fort this tutorial. I have long wanted to make a bunting, but wasn't quite sur how to make the tempate. Thanks for your help. Congratulations on a job well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014 11:23:42 AM »

This has got to be the funniest tute that I have seen, yet! Great job with things. I am sure the recipients will love them! And very cute doggie!

Bias strips...this site might help. You only sew once, and cut in a spiral http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPlgSCLDMM then you still iron until your brains pop out...but I have the bias makers...and your brains still pop out. And burnt fingers, too.  Grin

The spiral is a bit awkward to stitch. Because of the bias. But if you line things up well with the pins...it does take a bit to get the hang of. Don't let the fabric fight you. Just squish it smooth. And only worry about the presser foot part staying accurate. The rest will be bunchy. But not when you cut the spiral.

I need to design a good glove for us ironing wizards. I am wondering if the cooking stores have something that could work for this. They make some interesting gloves for the oven.

Anyways...very cute bunting. I do one every Fourth of July out of scrapbook paper for my porch. Maybe this year I will do cloth...then I don't have to make new ones all the time. But my stapler, scissors, and ribbon works up quick. We shall see.  Shocked

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
ChameleonHound

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014 02:05:09 PM »

This is awesome! Nicely done! And Tonka is an excellent model. Smiley
I think I would give up after about the 3rd triangle. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014 03:35:06 AM »

Really nicely done tutorial, and the bunting is very pretty. Have to admit though that Tonka is my favorite model. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014 05:09:59 PM »

Your project has been recognized here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427870.msg5196258#new
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014 07:49:36 PM »

This is so adorable and so perfectly constructed! Love your fabric choices and your very patient bunting model Smiley. I heart Tonka Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014 08:50:05 PM »

I love the bunting you made! It is so cute. And your tutorial is great. I might have to make some bunting now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014 09:39:09 AM »

fantastic job, it looks beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Style Straight Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
How to Cut Curly Hair for a Round Face
Perfect Haircut For My Face: Trish Fermin - Oval Face Straight Hair
Hair Extensions For Fine Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...