A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY rotary cutting mat??  (Read 458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maliaka
« on: May 08, 2014 04:51:44 PM »

Hey:)

I'd really like to start using a rotary cutter & mat for my sewing....after a decade of sewing it's about time!  Cheesy

I want at LEAST an 18"X24" size, preferably even bigger, but after hours of Googling, the cheapest deal I can find is 20 bucks for an 18"x24', and remember I said "preferably bigger"....  Roll Eyes

I would REALLY like some ideas for crafting my own cutting mat.  I'm shocked that I can't seem to find any good info on the interwebs about this, just some unanswered questions and some tips of purchasing alternatives that claim to be cheaper but are not (i.e. plastic floor protectors you put under office chairs are pricey, as is flooring laminate).

I was thinking of just getting some of those cheap plastic chopping boards and gluing them together on top of some sort of sturdier platform. They sell a 4 pack of 12"x"15's for $7 on eBay.

I can then Sharpie a measuring grid on top I suppose. Of course there would be "seams" where the mats are pieced together, but I wonder if that would even be an issue, considering rotary blades are supposed to be insanely sharp.

Has anyone does something like this? Huh I'd love some ideas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014 05:32:12 AM »

If the plastic you buy isn't self-healing and you do a lot of cutting, you'll be replacing whatever you buy on the cheap pretty quick and there's no real savings to be had. Regular plastic will develop grooves, meaning your cutter can get off track into a previous groove and ruin your straight edge. Don't skimp when quality counts. A self-healing mat will last a long time. Try ebay for a deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches at Holey Cream in NYC
How to Make the Perfect Peach-Blueberry Crumble
Plate Lab: Korean Shaved Ice, Constructed
How to Make a Fruit Salad in a Watermelon Shark
How to Make a Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Treat for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...