A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kenmore Solid State 158.17851 manual?  (Read 239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McDreamy
« on: May 08, 2014 12:31:50 PM »

The Kenmore Solid State 158.17851 is an amazing machine made in Japan for Kenmore back the 1970's. This is probably one of the last all-metal machines made just before the electronic era of sewing machines began. And I got one recently for my birthday. It has all the feet, the button-holer attachments, the monogram cams and even the auxiliary decorative cams. It even has the original needle threading tool, still mint-in-box with original directions on how to use the needle-threader printed on what looks like rice paper... It has an envelope that lists included feet, with a set of color-printed cards that give hints on how to use some of the more interesting feet, cams and monogramming equipment. It has a window that lets you see how full the bobbin is. In short, it has just about everything a sewer could want...

Except the manual.

Sears doesn't have the manual online. I've searched just about everywhere. The 158 line of Kenmore sewing machines has a lot of sub-models that look only vaguely like this machine. I was even willing to pay $6 for it at one of those "manuals-on-line" websites, but the manual doesn't even exist there.

If anyone has ideas about where I might get at least a pdf of the manual, I would be grateful. If anyone has the printed manual for a model 158.17851 that they no longer own, I'd gladly pay postage, and scan it all to pdf and put it online free for anyone else who wants a copy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014 12:59:18 AM »

I'm jealous!  I have a 158.1756, but it's a short-shank and the monogram attachments won't work with it.  Cry
so my manual won't help you, but good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McDreamy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014 06:29:47 PM »

I'm jealous!  I have a 158.1756, but it's a short-shank and the monogram attachments won't work with it.  Cry
so my manual won't help you, but good luck!
steiconi, thanks for your reply.
I found the manual. I"m a happy camper.
It has the look of something that was at one time available through SearsPartsDirect.co m, but for some reason SPD no longer associates it with that machine. It may be too general because it's also the manual for about ten other similar machines (which are also missing their manuals). I've given the link to Josh_S from SearsPartsDirect.co m in hopes that he will reassociate the manual with the models on their site.

Here is the manual (pdf) as provided by another person at a manuals-online place. It's fifty-one sheets single-sided or twenty-six double-sided.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJLc5Vm-_BTWVWb0VLWFk5Uzg/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the manual shrunk just a bit (also pdf), set up as a booklet to be printed double-sided, folded and saddle-stitched... or sewn down the center on the fold manually with your Kenmore 158. It prints on just thirteen letter-sized sheets. The pages are only reduced eighty-three percent so they fit two-up across a sheet. Save a tree, eh?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJLc5Vm-_BVk94OHMtNEZEQkk/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, I don't think the monogram cams that came in the box work with my machine. I think they go with another Kenmore machine. I'm going to post about that in a separate thread because they look nothing like any of the cams I've seen on other venues that talk about Kenmores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014 11:34:25 PM »

nice of you to do your best to make the manual available to others!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Jump Ring
How to Make Leather Bracelets
How to Make Glass Jewelry
How to Make Beaded Rings
How to Make Bracelets Out of String
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...