A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer PJs from Peekaboo Pattern Shop  (Read 366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: May 05, 2014 07:39:03 AM »

I get tired of the very limited PJs out there for boys.  And the ones that are out there all seem to be made from flimsy polyester that pills if you so much as look at it.  So I saw some really cute knit & after my luck with the Alex & Anna Winter PJs pattern, I decided to give the Summer PJs pattern a shot.  We live in Texas & it is too hot for long sleeves & pants in the summer.  Smiley  The pattern is unisex and included sizes 6 months - 8 years.  I made the size 6 and I followed the pattern exactly, although I used ribbing instead of knit for the neck, arm, and leg binding (personal preference).  My son is a size 5, but I made a size 6 because I am anticipating not sewing for a while (so I was hoping to make them last longer).  

This pattern was super easy and although I did most of the sewing on my serger, you do not have to use a serger.  Like the Winter PJS, the front & back pieces (which had different necklines) were not two separate pieces so you had to cut the back out out & then cut the pattern piece to cut the front (alternately, I'd just print the top pieces twice so you have them ready to go).  I also wish that it came with a fabric layout to help with fabric conservation.  The pattern lines were nicely drafted (unlike some other patterns I have gotten on Etsy that were hand drawn).  I also LOVED that it came with measurements for the elastic waist (instead of "measure your child" instructions).  When you are making a gift for someone else or trying to make them a size ahead so your child can grow into them, this is great.   I will definitely be making more of these.  My son is big for his age, so I do wish it came in larger sizes.  And I wish it gave separate yardage requirements for making the top in a different coordinating fabric from the pants (you have to measure).  But other than that, I loved the pattern and I already have several more pairs in the works.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014 01:37:40 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mixedpibbles

Full Time Granny

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014 09:28:44 AM »

Very cute fabric, I have this pattern too I made my Grandson several pair during the winter. Super quick on the serger. I agree that the boy jammie selection sucks. I also have trouble find boy style knit fabric as well, sometimes I luck out on Ebay. Where did you get your knit?
I prefer the ribbing as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014 11:37:33 AM »

It looks pretty and very comfortable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014 01:35:56 PM »

Very cute fabric, I have this pattern too I made my Grandson several pair during the winter. Super quick on the serger. I agree that the boy jammie selection sucks. I also have trouble find boy style knit fabric as well, sometimes I luck out on Ebay. Where did you get your knit?
I prefer the ribbing as well.

My son's favorite animal is elephants so I was happy to find a cute one.  Smiley  I got this particular fabric at fabricworm.com.  I don't see the blue elephants on there anymore, but it is made by Birch Fabrics, so you might just Google that or check Etsy.  I also got him grey chevrons, the mustard color elk print, and multi colored bicycles.  I check Etsy a lot for Lillestoff knits although they are very expensive.  And then Girl Charlee has some decent knits.  It takes some looking for sure.  I have Hancocks & Joanns locally and their knit selection is pitiful, especially if you want to make something for kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014 01:02:57 PM »

those are great looking jammies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Finish Burgers on the Grill
Grilling Burgers, Hot Dogs and Steaks
How to Finish BBQ Chicken on the Grill
How to Bake Beans for Your Chicken
Grilling BBQ Chicken with Baked Beans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...