A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Dress guidance requested  (Read 510 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , knitted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilletia
« on: May 05, 2014 05:17:12 AM »

Hello everyone,

I've challenged myself to knit myself a dress this year Smiley When I'm in clothes stores in winter, I always love the knitted dresses (although I understand they're knitted by machine, right?), so I thought it'd be a nice project to keep me busy and consolidate my knitting skills.
I'm a little daunted at the prospect but hoping someone could give me some advice for it, please?

As far as my knitting goes, I learnt to knit this January, and I know that makes a dress a huge undertaking. 
I'm confident with the basics, plus a few techniques to add and remove stitches from rows and different coloured designs, although the latter might be best avoided to speed up the project.
So, with that in mind, I'll be looking for a pattern that isn't too complex, just a lot of patience required.  Which is fine, because I'd probably be happier with a plainer and more versatile garment anyway.

I suppose the most pressing thing to ask is how long might it take?
Once I know that, I'll plan when I'm going to start.  If I don't manage to finish it by the end of the year, I'll keep at it anyway and just finish it as soon as possible.

Also, what kind of needles are going to get the best result I can achieve?

Will I need any other equipment?  I already have a row counter, which I find quite helpful.

What kind of wools have been used for dresses and other garments before?  Are the 'fancy' wools with glitter or colour patterns or different textures good for this project, or should I avoid them?

If you've knitted a dress before, what tips and techniques are helpful?  What is good to keep in mind from the start of the project?  What things did you learn and/or will I learn from trying to knit a dress?

And last but probably the most important, what haven't I asked about but should really know?

Thanks,
Lilly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Aspire not to have more, but to be more ~*~
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014 11:04:55 AM »

If you look on Garnstudio, they have lots of dresses and you may be able to find one you like.

You need to be careful of what you knit it out of. Make sure that the material you choose meets your needs, for example alpaca will be drape, but not hold its shape. Certain wools and cottons would work best. It's your dress so your choice if you want to use something with glitter or multicoloured.

The length of time is going to depend on how complex it is and your knitting skills, as well as, how large are the needles and the weight of the yarn.

The type of needles is going to depend on what you find most comfortable to work with. You will likely also need stitch markers, a measuring tape and a way to block it.

Once you select a pattern I would recommend taking all your measurements and compare them to the pattern schematics. You can make adjustments as you work to ensure that if the pattern has a huge waist and you want it more fitted, then you can take it in more, or if the waist is to high, add some more rows, etc.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilletia
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014 05:09:42 AM »

Thanks for helping Cheesy
Garnstudio is an awesome site with lots of great patterns.
So I think I've narrowed it down to four potential patterns, and will probably pick the easiest to try at first.

I'm definitely going to get the equipment and try out any stitches I haven't done before as early as I can, so that I can get a good result when I come to make the dress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Aspire not to have more, but to be more ~*~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Does Whitening Your Teeth With Strawberries Really Work?
Beauty Secrets from Hong Kong
How To Make A Face Powder
How To Contour And Elongate Your Face and Nose
Double Dare: A Pale Lip Perfect for Darker Skin Tones
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...