A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: X-Stitching  (Read 1914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2004 10:47:10 PM »

So, three years ago I learned to cross-stitch.  It became my first real obsession with crafting.  However I have never mastered the art.  It always seemed to me that my X's were smaller than they should be, even on the fabric that is made for cross-stitching.  It just never looked good enough and I always quit before the piece was finished.  I'm not just complaining, but I am begging for advice.  I would love to finish these projects, but I don't know why my X's are too small.  They seem like they don't fit together the way finished projects by talented stitchers do..
Please help me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004 10:58:45 PM »

my guess is that you're just pulling it too tight.  I used to do that when I was little, until my mom made me loosen up some.  it doesn't have to be tight, just so that it's no loose.  it's a thin line, but once you get it, it'll turn out fine.

hope that's the problem, and I hope that helped!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gji7
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004 11:32:23 AM »

There are several possibilities:  pulling too tight is definately one of them, but another could be the thread you are using.  If your stitches look too skimpy - i.e. they still look like X's when there are a bunch of them instead of looking like a picture - you are probably not using the correct number of threads for the fabric you are using.  On each pattern there is a suggestion for both the fabric count (x's per inch type numbers like Aida 14, etc.) and then the threads used for typical cross stitch on that fabric.  If you are using a bigger fabric then you need more threads.  

If you could post a picture of your current work - it would be easier to troubleshoot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
JustonsGirl
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004 04:48:20 PM »

I find that the best way to get even sitches is to do counted cross stitch.  The project ususally comes out much clearer and more professional-looking when it's counted:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"behind every great man there's a woman rolling her eyes":-)
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004 05:07:51 PM »

Apart from what everyone else has suggested, you might need to strip and stroke your floss; especially if you are working with larger crosses and more strands of floss. Pull each strand you need to use out separately (stripping) , place them back together (floss has a grain, so lay them back in the same direction), and stroke the strands until they get flat and ribbony. After 4-5 stitches you may find that the thread gets twisty, that's normal. Let the needle fall freely from the cloth and untwist the thread on its own. And if you're still not satisfied with the results, stroke the stitch with a laying tool (or if you're a cheapo like me, a knitting needle or pen butt any other blunt tipped tool).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004 12:14:00 AM »

Thanks for all of the tips y'all!! I will certainly try to improve based on your suggestions!  
..However craftster has me going project crazy, so it might be a while before I get back to that old cross-stitch!!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Evening Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Formal Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...