A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spirit/Intention Doll Swap (S.U. CLOSED!; MAIL BY 6/2/14)  (Read 12497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madcrafter
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2014 07:54:44 AM »

Being nervous about how our dolls will be received seems to be haunting quite a few of us.  I know that when I started my doll  the doubts began to worry me.  Mostly I worried that my doll would be too doll like.  Having looked in the gallery I know now that I was right.  Having made soft sculptured dolls in the 80's and porcelain dolls in the 90's it was hard to break out of what I had learned. 

Making dolls is different from any other craft/art.  They are representations of humans and even ourselves.  Making dolls exposes who we are so we feel more vulnerable.  But dolls can also be a joyful expression of who we are too.  Half way through making my doll I almost put it aside and started a new doll.  I felt I could never finish the doll in the time frame given so I would start again.  Then I realized the same thing would happen with a new doll.  So I worked until the deadline and didn't get everything I wanted done but somehow I don't think I would ever be able to finish it.  But I know that our dolls will be loved not only for their beauty but also for what we shared of ourselves in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

Stop by my blog and say hi!
http://ravingsofamadcrafter.blogspot.com/
MamaTrader

Sky above me. Earth below me. Fire within me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2014 08:24:44 AM »

Thank you for that, madcrafter.  I have never made a doll before and that makes a lot of sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I"m a craftaholic on the road to recovery.

Just kidding!!!  I'm on the road to the craft store.  Cheesy
artsycandice
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2014 08:42:46 AM »

Being nervous about how our dolls will be received seems to be haunting quite a few of us.  I know that when I started my doll  the doubts began to worry me.  Mostly I worried that my doll would be too doll like.  Having looked in the gallery I know now that I was right.  Having made soft sculptured dolls in the 80's and porcelain dolls in the 90's it was hard to break out of what I had learned. 

Making dolls is different from any other craft/art.  They are representations of humans and even ourselves.  Making dolls exposes who we are so we feel more vulnerable.  But dolls can also be a joyful expression of who we are too.  Half way through making my doll I almost put it aside and started a new doll.  I felt I could never finish the doll in the time frame given so I would start again.  Then I realized the same thing would happen with a new doll.  So I worked until the deadline and didn't get everything I wanted done but somehow I don't think I would ever be able to finish it.  But I know that our dolls will be loved not only for their beauty but also for what we shared of ourselves in them.

Beautifully and eloquently put.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness.
"Make good art" - Neil Gaiman
My website
50 Projects in 2014
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2014 10:01:23 AM »

Beautifully and eloquently put.

I agree!!

I wanted the doll to look human, not doll-like but not too human either...  So yes, you described it exactly the way it felt!  Smiley

But almost everyone was doubting what they were making, at some stage. I think it is a good thing, we are taking it seriously and especially because wanting to have the right and good intentions to put in the doll. I wanted it to be shown at the outside too. Mweh, you have a better way of describing it, madcrafter!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014 10:02:56 AM by wendiek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2014 12:46:47 AM »

I RECEIVED!!! Yes, that is me SCREAMING!!!  Cheesy

P_E_S_T made me not one, but TWO Intention dolls and they are so gorgeous!
One is Life, colourful and blooming and one is Death, grey, hollow and all about letting go.

Her note and the dolls made me cry, really! Letting go is the hardest part in life (I believe), so this really 'hit my buttons' (you understand).

THANKS so much Jolene! You got it all right! The note, the dolls, the shape, colours, it is so beautiful and the intentions put into these are the best you could choose.
When I calmed down again, I will take pictures and post.

Kiss You are the best! This was really an amazing experience!   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
madcrafter
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2014 07:09:45 PM »

First I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments.  I get rather philosophical about dolls.  Today I got my doll from Grasshopper and the doll is very sweet.  She made Happiness and the doll definitely makes me happy!  I have posted on the gallery so I recommend going over to see the beautiful doll Grasshopper made.  I was so excited about the doll I didn't get pictures of the stones she sent as extras.  They are lovely and I already have one stone planned for my next doll!

Thank you Grasshopper!

Madcrafter
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

P_E_S_T

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2014 10:11:41 PM »

Is it only me that is craving round 2 even before round 1 has finished !!!!! Imagine a whole basket of intention dolls to dip in to when needed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2014 10:48:52 AM »

P_E_S_T, I'm with you about a whole nest of intention dolls to dip into when it's needed!  That sounds great!  Not to get too TMI or philosophical, but...for the reasons I requested my doll be representative of 'strength'...I look at it and remember to use the tools that I am given in therapy to deal with what's going on and it helps.

I also agree that these types of dolls seem to guide us, instead of the other way around! I really didn't know which direction I was going for each step until I got there and then I was inspired!  It's so interesting. 

I have to offer an apology to both wendiek and my partner, LovelyMiss.  The swap package I sent to her seems to be taking forever to get to her and of course the tracking number doesn't work.  I've had trouble with the tracking numbers not working ever since the PO switched from DC#s to tracking numbers.  Has anyone else been having this trouble as well?  As far as how long it's taking to get to you...DH pays for and mails out my swap packages and I think he pays for it to go the cheapest way possible, unfortunately.  I can't complain b/c he does this as a favor to me and if he stops doing it, I can't swap.  Tongue  Fortunately, I've been in over 100 swaps, and have never had a package go missing.  They just seem to take forever, and for that I am so sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
wendiek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2014 12:16:19 PM »

I have to offer an apology to both wendiek and my partner, LovelyMiss.  The swap package I sent to her seems to be taking forever to get to her and of course the tracking number doesn't work.  I've had trouble with the tracking numbers not working ever since the PO switched from DC#s to tracking numbers.  Has anyone else been having this trouble as well?  As far as how long it's taking to get to you...DH pays for and mails out my swap packages and I think he pays for it to go the cheapest way possible, unfortunately.  I can't complain b/c he does this as a favor to me and if he stops doing it, I can't swap.  Tongue  Fortunately, I've been in over 100 swaps, and have never had a package go missing.  They just seem to take forever, and for that I am so sorry.

Meh, I'm sure the doll is worth the waiting! I'm used to wait for forever (it feels like that) because international sending takes a long time. So I'm not worried, bothered or whatever. Just patient  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madcrafter
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2014 07:45:05 AM »

My doll to Grasshopper is out for delivery!  I can't believe it took 8 days!  Sometimes I can't believe how slow the post can be.

Madcrafter
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Wallet Out of Fabric
How to Make Basic Embroidery Designs
How to Attach Sequins to Clothes
How to Attach a Coat Button
How to Make a Slip Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...