A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: new life to my old sectional  (Read 322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iheartcooking
« on: April 27, 2014 10:10:53 AM »

I just washed all the cushion slipcovers and they're a pain to put back on so no pic yet... but I have a big, sage green L-shaped sectional sofa that's about 6 years old.  It's good for our family because all 4 of us and the two dogs can all sit together to watch movies. 

My beagle is loving the couch sans covers:

We can't afford a new sofa, but there's a lot to like about this one.  It's got a nice profile, clean lines and angles rather than those awful 80's looking curvy round backs if you know what i mean. 

The back cushions have lost most of their shape because unlike the seat cushions which are foam, the backs are just filled with stuffing.  I'm looking into replacing the insides with foam but not sure if that will be affordable. 

I researched "upholstery paint" and "spray fabric paints" but most people reported their results as making the fabric stiff or shiny.  The upholstery is soft microfiber and I wouldn't want to lose that.  I can dye the slipcovers (maybe, I don't know if dye would take) but not the couch. 

I've changed out the pillows constantly it helps, but not enough. 

Now that I've given all the relevant background on my sofa, I'm hoping my fellow craftsters might have some ideas how I can give this sofa new life? It's been slept on, jumped on, peed on (my dog pees when she falls asleep) and abused but ultimately I'm trying to get a few more years out of it.  Not an unlimited budget but it's worth some investment. 

If you've seen a blogger out there that's done something like this, maybe a link? 

Anyone tried replacing cushions with foam? 

Non-stiff fabric paint? 

Anything?

Thanks in advance. 

(MODs: I'm posting this in a couple different relevant threads to try to get more replies.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Screenwriting Card Trick
How to Have Good Audition Etiquette
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...