A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: black and white purse and suggestions needed...UPDATE!!  (Read 2538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smoon26
« on: July 12, 2005 11:19:36 PM »

I am going to a floral design show tomorrow, and wanted a new bag to carry, so I made this one.  Kind of wish I made a colorful floral one, but I thought that I'm wearing white pants and a black top, so this would look good with that.  I've had this fabric for a while, and just put a black lining in it.  There is a double pocket inside, with a top of the floral, and feather trim around the top.  I didn't have enough peltex to do the bag so I used some buckram that I had.  didn't work as well...it doesn't "bounce back" from the turning out like the peltex does...kind of has some wrinkles that I haven't been able to smooth out with the iron yet.  as always, I put boning in the handles.  So, heres my question...I think it needs something at the top of the feather trim.  Just some small trim.  Any ideas?  I know its late notice, but Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.  And should it be white or black?  The reason I consider white is that you can see a little white at the top of it from the floral fabric.  Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated!!  Oh, and the feather trim looks much better in person.  The pics just make me think of moe's hair from larry currly and moe.  It really looks much fluffier..my fancy shmancy camera would take better pics if it wasn't so late and I didn't want to futz with it.

Thanks all!!

Update:

I went ahead and finished the bag.  only went to hancocks since its really close, and had to be done today.  They have a lot of trim, but not really any beaded stuff like I wanted.  so I just found some black texture trim to cover the top of the feather trim.  Then, I knew that Kohls had these awesome pins, and that I could get one in black and white, so I went and got that to go on the top.  Its a pin/clip thing, so I can move it around if I want, but I think I like it there.  I'd like to put a wider ribbon tie on the bag, but that involoves some deconstructing, so maybe later.  i did put a black cord (thin) around the top to kind of cover the white.  its just glued securely now, but I'll stitch it later to make it lay tighter.  No time today! 

Anyway, do you think its finished off now?  Good enough anyway?  Also, I took a pic of it on top of this awesome new fabric I got at Hancocks today.  Hadn't seen it before, so got all 4 in the series (it was 40% off today, orig.  9.99).  Cool, huh?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009 12:39:02 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faerietail
Wing-Maker Extraordinaire

When force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005 11:23:11 PM »

I think it looks really great as it is! If you really want to put something else at the top, you could put a row of white/clear beads maybe? Maybe a row of those pre-strung clear pearls, or something like that?

I honestly think it's really great as it is, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy some fairy wings! - www.faerietail.com
Buy hand spun yarn - fey.etsy.com
smoon26
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005 11:26:36 PM »

Thanks...I hadn't thought about getting some beaded trim for it...I think I would stick with black or white or combo of those, since the bag is so stark b&w! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Norahsmom
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005 11:10:08 AM »

I agree with smoon26.  It looks awesome as it is, but a simple row of either clear or white beads would be a nice touch.  It really is a LOVELY bag!  I am sure you will have lots of comments at the show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mardar

What did I do this time!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005 11:26:25 AM »

I think it's awesome just the way it is. But you could get one of those big tassels and hang it from one handle. A red tassel would look great. Red always compliments black and white.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SKN725
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005 04:26:44 PM »

Ooooh,  the pin was just the right touch to make the whole bag "pop"!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andreamarie
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005 08:30:22 PM »

I think you did a great job!  I love it just as it is... the fabric is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

You can find my stuff for sale at:

http://andreamarie.etsy.com
smoon26
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005 08:24:31 AM »

So the flower show was awesome...we had seen the speaker before, and knew he was fun.  After the show, A lady came up to me and said "I love your bag, can I see it? where did you get it?"  I made it"  Oh, one of those bag party things?  No no, I made it.  OOhh, its so cute, do you have a store?  no, but I do sell them.  Awesome, can I have your card?  Thats the cutest thing!

Yeah, made my day!!  We'll see if she calls, but a lot of people were telling me it was cute.  I wore white pants and a black shirt, so it went well!  heh...Ya know, i bet the people that don't see me every other day with my plain black bag think I always match!!  hehe...if they only knew!!!  Moms?  Match?  uh, maybe the stains from the kids!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mbarton99
http://poseypatch.etsy.com

http://poseypatch.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005 08:20:48 AM »

I just LOVE your purse and that fabric is to DIE for can you tell me where you got it, the manufacturer or anything about it thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smoon26
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005 09:13:03 AM »

I actually found this fabric at Hobby Lobby-but it was quite a while ago.  There was black and white, and also I got a really bright colored version.  When I was looking for more of the colored, or a print to go with, I found it on ebay.  I doubt HL still has it, but check on ebay--I don't know the name, but just start searching fabric listings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Predator Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Create a Simple Energy Ball in Tony Vegas
How to Create Teleport Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Get Media Ready - DVD Studio Pro
How to Make a Title Sequence - Final Cut Pro 6
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...