A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 306,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New knitter Questions: Double pointed needle sizes..  (Read 1197 times)
Tags for this thread: double_pointed_needles_knitting_knit_beginner_new_size_sizes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

desert6flower66
« on: March 06, 2015 12:01:04 PM »

New knitter here with a question about double pointed needles..
My partner wants to make me a set, he bought pretty large and thick dowels to use because he saw me knitting with large single pointed needles. I have yet to use double pointed needles and so far when i've looked into it, i have not seen anyone using large needles. Can someone explain a little about sizes with dp needles, if it matters and if using larger needles is more difficult, or less productive? Should I just send him to buy smaller sized dowels? Good starting size?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
desert6flower66
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015 11:41:26 AM »

really no advice for a seemingly simple question?  :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch and stones
Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015 12:30:03 PM »

I think if they are larger it might be beneficial. Think of the large Crayola crayons you had back in elementary school :-)

The only thing you have to consider with needle size is what yarn you are using for yoyr project. A worsted weight with larger needles will have a looser weave on your project than if you used a bulkier yarn.

I think if your partner is willing to craft something for you that in turn you can use to create then that is fabtastic! That is exactly what crafting and Crafster is about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
desert6flower66
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015 11:25:05 AM »

I think if they are larger it might be beneficial. Think of the large Crayola crayons you had back in elementary school :-)

The only thing you have to consider with needle size is what yarn you are using for yoyr project. A worsted weight with larger needles will have a looser weave on your project than if you used a bulkier yarn.

I think if your partner is willing to craft something for you that in turn you can use to create then that is fabtastic! That is exactly what crafting and Crafster is about.

thank you for the reassurance! i really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superbly smitten
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015 04:42:07 PM »

That really is awesome about the crafting to craft domino effect you guys have going on =)

Also, larger DPNs are--in my experience--way easier to practice/learn on, because you're not slipping and losing stitches as easily, at least until you get comfortable with them.  Although it's entirely possible that I'm just clumsy haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linda0989
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015 10:34:26 AM »

I guess you need to decide what type of projects you usually make. Do you use bulky yarn? or mostly worsted weight? That would determine the size of dpn's you would want to make.
You use the same size of double pointed needles as you would straight needles. For example if I am using a worsted weight yarn that needs a US 8 or 5mm straight needles, I would use a set of US 8 or 5mm double pointed needles. You can use a set of straight needles to measure the diameter so that you are making the correct sizes for your yarn. My husband has made me some out of dowel and we used an electric pencil sharpener to help point the ends of the smaller sized needles.Hope this helps. Good luck  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
And the sun is still here...
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...