A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gothy Strapless Rock Star Dress (pic heavy)  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread: strapless_dress , dress , lace , tulle , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2014 07:37:50 PM »

finished full by individualfrog, on Flickr

Hi Craftster, long time no see.  I was recently commissioned to make a wedding dress for a friend of mine.  Over the past year I've worked with a bunch of wedding dresses and I wanted to make her something really special using some of the things I've learned by poking around inside them, but I was worried about making mistakes if I was 'learning by doing' on her dress and ruining the fabric or whatever.  So I took the muslin for her dress and made a completely different dress around it using fabric I had lying around, to practice on.  Structurally it's the same as her dress will be, but the effect is totally different.  I think it came out really nice!

I took a bunch of process pics which I thought I'd share with you.  It was a lot of fun to make this dress.

bodice muslin 2 by individualfrog, on Flickr

Here you can see the interlining; I just used muslin.

bodice first step front by individualfrog, on Flickr

All the layers of the bodice except the lining sewn together.  I was originally going to shape the lace layer seamlessly but it didn't look good that way, so I just cut it exactly the same as the self.  So this is interlining, grey cotton, and lace.  I sewed the scalloped border of the lace into the princess seam; originally it was this way, but I decided I liked it better flipped toward the side seams instead of toward the center.

front before lining by individualfrog, on Flickr

Here it is sewn together with the skirt; I used black tulle to make the color match better and to make it a little more romantic-looking.  My original plan was to cut out lace motifs and sew them into the tulle but after I spent hours cutting them out, I pinned them on it, and they looked bad, so I decided against it.

bodice back structure by individualfrog, on Flickr

Zipper is in, boning is in, waist stay is in.  The waist stay is tacked to all the seam allowance to hold the dress tight to the wearer's body.  Also in this picture: fodder for my next Goodreads review.

lining bodice by individualfrog, on Flickr

Putting together the lining.  You can see one of the lace cutouts here, and a ribbon I was thinking of using as a belt, which I also decided against in the end.  The buttons survived, though.

lining full by individualfrog, on Flickr

I think the lining looks nice enough to be a dress itself!

lining and waist stay right by individualfrog, on Flickr

The waist stay comes out through the back princess seam of the lining and looks pretty sweet if I do say so.  (This is one of those things I learned from working on wedding dresses.)  I also remembered to put in hanging straps for once in my life.  Those were tacked to the interlining so it wouldn't just pull the lining up but would hold the whole dress.

finished bodice by individualfrog, on Flickr

And there's the finished bodice lined and the buttons on!  These are metal buttons and according to the package cannot be washed or dry cleaned, so I guess if anyone ever buys this dress from me they'll have to cut them off everytime they clean the dress, like people did in the old days.

And that's the dress!  I hope you like it, love to hear what people think.  I think it would look nice on like Taylor Momsen or somebody, wearing combat boots and lots of eye makeup.  I wish I had taken pictures without that black tulle in the background, maybe I will retake some soon and update this post (I have to borrow my brother's camera again).  I'm hoping to make a few more dresses out of spare fabric this summer, and I'll be sure to post them if I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
happycupcake
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014 09:25:01 PM »

This is beyond epic. You are absolutely amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014 05:43:11 AM »

This is so cute. I can see this turning out great in white for a wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014 06:19:31 AM »

What a gorgeous dress. I can't even decided which I like the best, because the entire thing is amazing. Everything goes together so perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Rockngene
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014 04:51:21 AM »

Woah, love it! Rock star indeed, very well done  Cheesy
I really like how you took so many pics during the construction, I love seeing how people work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Corrie Curry
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014 08:48:40 AM »

This dress turned out amazing, your friend is one lucky gal Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

v21
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014 05:57:02 AM »

Awesome! I hope to have your skills someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Save Vs. Spend: Holiday Edition
An Affordable, Complete Autumn Look
Playful Polish in a Giulietta Dress
How to Mix High-End Designers with Great Vintage Finds
How to Go from a Day to Night Look in 60 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...