A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: taking apart old dress for pattern making...how??!!  (Read 2164 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 23, 2014 07:33:06 PM »

got a  wonderful vintagy dress made with horrible material. will  be taking it apart and creating a pattern from the pieces to create something quite different. Trouble is, all of the seams are so tightly sewed that I cannot even see a touch of thread where i can get my seam ripper in there. I have no idea how to go about getting all these pieces apart now!
Truly need some advice. please and thank you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Nofuelleft
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014 07:39:35 PM »

Can you just cut on the seams?
Just dont forget to add seamallowence when cutting the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blupaisan

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014 01:04:22 PM »

I suppose that is a viable option, but I know there may be those little triangle markers that show exactly where each piece matches up with the other, although perhaps those do not exist on a machine-made garment (?) and I worry that I will not know enough about how to reassemble if those cues are missing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Nofuelleft
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014 03:47:03 PM »

I suppose that is a viable option, but I know there may be those little triangle markers that show exactly where each piece matches up with the other, although perhaps those do not exist on a machine-made garment (?) and I worry that I will not know enough about how to reassemble if those cues are missing.

Dont think you' re gonna find them, but you can always mark the pieces yourself before taking it apart.
I just get a couple of crayons in different colours and mark connecting pieces , and what ever there is " special" and make pic's.
When you trace it , just transfer your marks onto the pattern .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blupaisan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014 09:33:21 AM »

Dont think you' re gonna find them, but you can always mark the pieces yourself before taking it apart.
I just get a couple of crayons in different colours and mark connecting pieces , and what ever there is " special" and make pic's.

sounds great! thanks so much for the advice. I sure hope I am capable. Once the item is finished, I will be sure to post  pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014 05:56:27 PM »

That is exactly how to make a garment when deconstructing to copy the pattern. Take a look at a pre-fab pattern to see where the "triangle things" should be and mark those spots on your dress using something that will not rub off. Transfer those marks to your pattern pieces. Cut as close to the stitching as you can and add a seam allowance. Some pieces will have been trimmed after sewing, it would be valuable to consult with somebody who has a little experience sewing to explain where that may have been done on your dress. Also, making a mock up of the dress in cheap fabric to check for fit before cutting your good fabric is advisable.
You can do it! Just give yourself some time and room to make errors (those are how you learn the most Smiley ).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014 05:57:17 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
How to Cut Curly Hair for a Round Face
Perfect Haircut For My Face: Trish Fermin - Oval Face Straight Hair
Hair Extensions For Fine Hair
Volumizing Limp Locks
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...