A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bunny Nursery  (Read 1713 times)
Tags for this thread: nursery , decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennique
« on: April 23, 2014 06:40:05 PM »

I decided on a purple and brown theme for our little girl's nursery and went with a vague bunny/nature theme in the room.

I sewed the crib skirt and the curtains and my MIL made the crib canopy for me. I can't believe how much work the crib skirt was. I saw the three-tier ruffle style on Pinterest and loved it but I'm not sure I would have embarked on it if I knew it was going to take 3 nights to finish after an exhausting day pregnant chasing after a toddler. Yikes.

The felt board is one of my favourite parts of the room though she won't be playing with it any time soon. I bought way too much felt, I'm not sure what I am going to do with the rest. It was really fun to make though because I just freehanded the whole thing. The photos were all found online and printed and I got the unfinished wood frames from a yard sale. The letters for the name were bought at the dollar store but I painted them to match the fabric in the room.

We already had the chair but I bought a new foam cushion and made a reversible cover for it (the idea being that when I'm done with it in the nursery I can flip it to the underside fabric and put it in the rec room. The reverse side of the fabric came from Ikea and though its really funky the orange/grey didn't really go with my colours. ^.^ I didn't make the log pillow, I was thinking of making one but then I lucked out and found one at our local bargain shop for $14 and I know how much of a pain it is to make cylindrical pillows. I also love the bunny hat for the chair - I got that idea from Pinterest too. I stuffed the ears with polyester fill and a length of wire to give them a bit of shape.

I made this door stop to discourage my toddler from closing the door to her room. Of course that's not the problem at all - the problem is him opening the door it turns out lol. He just likes to pick up the bunny and move it around, oh well. I filled the bottom with rice to give it weight.

I found the driftwood for the clothes hangers at the beach and I attached them to the wall using hook and eye hinges. We used to have a closet in this room, but long before we thought about kids we had converted it into an office and removed the closet to make a walk-in off our bedroom which backs onto this room.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014 06:49:35 PM by jennique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014 07:57:39 PM »

Looks really cute. And I like your "closet" restyle. Very creative. And a nice room for baby.

~T
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014 04:45:37 AM by HSG - Reason: Comply with Craftster rules. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014 03:28:07 AM »

I LOVE THIS ROOM!  I really like all the photos you posted of it, the obvious effort you put into it, it's not an "in your face" theme, and you also posted where you got the items and how you decorated them which can be helpful to people who want to try the same idea.

IMO, I think that "themed" baby nurseries are great!  I think it's calming for the baby and moms need something to do with that "nesting" instinct!   Grin  It's also an incentive to go into the room to care for the baby during those difficult first weeks!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014 04:44:02 AM »

Very cleaver and creative room. So many different ideas that you brought together in such a pretty way. Also you brought the theme into each aspect with all the unique touches. Using items that were repurposed or inexpensive and made them so perfect. My favorite parts are the driftwood, faux log and bunny doorstop. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014 08:14:35 AM »

Ahh, I love this room!!  Do you have a close up of the felt board?  I'd love to see more of it!

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014 08:32:16 AM »

I am all about themed rooms! We have a head hunter tiki bathroom and a beach theme bathroom. THEMES ARE AWESOME!  Cheesy I really like the "Willow" sign. What a sweet name.

PS-the chocolate walls remind me of chocolate bunnies-which is even more marvy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014 10:27:05 AM »

darling nursery!!!  I love the color and all that you did to make this a special room for your baby!

ha ha the bunny ears on the chair are just the cutest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014 11:33:38 AM »

What an absolutely adorable nursery!  Fabulous job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennique
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014 06:03:38 PM »

Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

I do have a close-up of the felt board. The light beige background isn't felt. My original plan for the felt was to actually make a series of large felt trees and attach them to the wall, to make a "forest wall" but I abandoned the idea and went with this instead (hence why I had so much extra felt) and why I didn't have a background colour of felt. To hang it I used two wooden dowels that I got at the hardware store and slid them through pockets, like you would for making curtains. I put a dowel along the bottom edge of the board to give it weigh and hold it flat.

- click here for the original size if you want to see more detail

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic Makeup Tutorial: Cat Eye and Red Lips
Double Wing Eyeliner Tutorial
Cat Eye and Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial
How to Achieve the Glittery Eye Look
How to Apply False Lashes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...