A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,665
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nautical Plus Quilt  (Read 425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: April 21, 2014 06:02:49 PM »

This is another “learning quilt” for me!  (See the Wee Scotties if you wonder what I’m talking about).  Wink   This was another quilt that ended up somewhat crooked due to my laying the backing out lengthwise on the longarm instead of leading with the selvage edge, although it isn’t nearly as obvious as the scotties.  On the white border, I made it by sewing strips together (like I would binding) and then sewing them around the quilt (2 lengths and then 2 widths).  Apparently, I should have measured and eased the strips to fit instead.  I ended up with a longer border on one side that made the longarming really tricky, since I had to ease the extra fabric in as I went.  I also ran out of binding 6 inches from the end, despite my using a binding calculator on a quilting site.  I think maybe if I had eased it more, though, I might have made it.  Oh well – mistakes are how you learn, right?

This is a quilt I made for my son, who is 3.  I think he will really like it since he got excited naming the different objects on it when he saw mommy laying it out on the floor.  I hope it isn’t too “girly” with the coral & pink colors in it, but I’m not really one to be pinned down to a “blue and brown are for boys” color scheme because it gets so boring.  I went with a nautical/beachy theme and I used a line of nautical FQs I couldn’t name now as well as some other fabrics I cherry picked (like the bicycles and the text that has names of different beaches and the madras print).  I used a blue sailboat print on the back and the binding is a rigging print in "clementine."  I basically followed the Modern Plus Quilt Tutorial from the In Color Order blog, although my quilt is bigger (twin sized) and framed with a white border and my backing is different.  I thought the border would help break up the “loud” pattern from the binding a bit…but I don’t know if that is really possible with my fabric choices LOL!

Close up of some of the front:

Back of the quilt:

Close up of the print on the back:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014 06:30:31 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014 08:10:01 PM »

Love it.  All quilts are learning experiences.  That is how we get better. This one is wonderful.  I really like the fabric selection. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
stellou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014 11:31:03 PM »

Well done, it's a lovely bright quilt and I hope your little one loves it.

Blue and brown is not for boys it's just dull Grin. The last one I made for my 8 year old boy was yellow and turquoise (with cowboys  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
yoopidou

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014 12:22:35 AM »

That's a very beautiful quilt. I don't see where it is crooked, maybe you are too harsh on your work? Anyway, it will likely not be noticeable in a few years, when you will have washed and dried it a few times. Although I maintain that I don't see it crooked at all. I especially like the narrow white border with the colorful binding. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014 05:25:14 AM »

We're all our own worst critics, right?  Cheesy. The sailboats are a little crooked on the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014 07:57:17 AM »

I learn from your learning! Grin

I love the color theme...and the patterns are very nice for children and adults!

I think I see a crooked sailboat in the upper quarter of the left hand corner....Grin...oh, right...it looks great and perfect to me!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating the Vica Illusion Sculpture on the Makerbot
MakerBot Made Skull from Dissolving PVA Time Lapse
Unusual Sculptures by Suprina
Passage Through a Chainlink Cloud by Ellen Grossman
Letter of Abuse Sculpture by Suprina
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...