A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Overhaul  (Read 1911 times)
Tags for this thread: kitchen , renovation , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 20, 2014 08:34:29 PM »

Welcome to my NEW KITCHEN!  

My budget was less than $1500 for this room AND the laundry/pantry (there's also a thread from when I finished that room).  That meant that I had to do a LOT of stuff….myself.

BEFORE:
This is what I started with….a VERY small room (9'x12') with FOUR doorways that enter the room.  This is looking from the dining room into the kitchen.  Straight ahead is a double bifold door (6' wide) that goes to the laundry room/pantry.  When our refrigerator died we bought a new one and got it home only to discover that it was 1" too wide to fit.  So, we put it next to the counter….in front of one of the pantry bifold doors.

AFTER:  
Wallpaper gone, pantry doorway reduced to 30", cabinet from over the stove moved to the new wall allowing for some pan storage, new light, new floor, dishwasher moved with proper end panel installed and a new countertop installed (this one is PROPERLY installed) for MUCH more counter space:

BEFORE:
Here are the other two doors, the door on the left goes to the bathroom, the door on the right goes to the basement.  If you'll notice….there is NO counter space.  That's why we had a roll-cart (for extra storage and counter space).  We had to move the cart to the front of the basement door in order to go into the laundry/pantry and then move it over again if we wanted to go into the basement.   I HATED that cart:

AFTER:
New light switches, new doors and LOTS of repairs to the walls to make the room look crisp and clean.

AFTER:
Cabinets were refinished (yes, these are the SAME cabinets!) using General Finishes Java Gel stain and new handles were added.  This is the same stain I used in my bathroom, but because the slate-look of the floor in this room was such a cool gray that the brown of the Java Gel was going to be too warm.  I added color dyes to make the color a little more blue-black and I think it was a good choice.  There is a new cabinet installed over the stove to accommodate a new over-the-range microwave….the counter to the right of the stove is now opened up for other uses!!  GFI outlets were also added throughout the room.

BEFORE:  We used the oversize refrigerator situation as an excuse to install a dishwasher.  We installed a temporary counter over it and some utility shelving for some additional storage….even with that addition there still wasn't much counter space.

BEFORE:
SO very temporarily set up. You can also see here I had to deal with tons of wallpaper (all very difficult to remove) and pink paint.  The linoleum was a disaster….it wouldn't come clean and was torn in spots.

AFTER:
I moved the sink cabinet over 1" to the left to accommodate the refrigerator.  I also widened the doorway between the kitchen and dining room by about 15" so that the refrigerator doors can open all the way.  With the old fridge we couldn't access the drawers on the right because the door wouldn't open enough.  The light above the sink was purchased at a garage sale (best $3 I've ever spent!):

This was quite the project and I had to do it all on a pretty tight budget. 1/3 of the budget was had to cover just the flooring!  Still, I think it turned out nice…..now, onto the next room…...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 08:47:12 PM by UnRuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014 10:03:29 PM »

That looks fantastic - the dark stain on the cabinets is bold but great with that wall choice, and I like the contrast of the light counters.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
mdelilahcarlson

so many crafts, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014 11:09:29 PM »

Lovely work! I especially like the tiled floor. I would have been nervous to use such a dark stain on the cabinets in that small room, but, as Onyxnox said, the contrast with the walls looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014 11:46:12 PM »

I was just researching that gel stain yesterday because I'm hoping to do our kitchen cabinets at our new place when we move!  Your whole room looks beautiful.  I am impressed with your handiness, and very inspired!  Amazing transformation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014 03:35:36 AM »

It is hard to believe it still is the same room! What a great job you did! Your hard work paid off and really shows!  Cheesy

Love it! I hit this rocks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatebutton
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014 04:47:33 AM »

Love the colour scheme, you've done a really good job  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014 06:43:14 AM »

This transformation totally rocks, and I hit the button!  I find it hard to believe that this is the same kitchen.  I wouldn't have gone for such a deep colour on the cupboards, but they turned out fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014 07:09:25 AM »

How glorious!!  I'll have to show my husband that it IS possible to redo the kitchen for not to much money.  Even if it means a little hard work. He keeps telling me it's going to cost us 20000 to re do, but I keep insisting he just let me take everything apart and stain it all. Now I have proof it's possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014 10:58:55 AM »

Wow! And having done many remodels myself on a budget, I know how much work went into this. It is so crisp and clean and modern looking. Very elegant and I bet you get that warm feeling every time you walk into the room. Congratulations.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
UnRuli

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014 01:24:29 PM »

Thanks guys!  Quite honestly I think the room would be even better with stainless appliances, but we couldn't afford them at the time we purchased appliances and we're certainly not replacing these just for appearances (they're 8-10 years old, but in REALLY good condition and look nearly new with the massive cleaning I did on them).  I knew that painting the cabinets was not going to be an option because the grain of the oak cabinets would be so visible…..that usually makes painted cabinets look awful.  This stain is pretty solid (especially with the color dyes I added), but it's still a stain so it looks alright even in bright light.  The cabinets were really in good shape, but definitely needed refinishing.  Going with  such a dark cabinet for a house we'd be putting on the market is a risk, but I believe it will be fine in the end. 

I could have gone with a slightly lighter color on the walls, but I really like medium toned walls in a kitchen.  That's why I went with the bright, off-white countertops…..to offset the "darkness".  There really is a LOT of light in the room…..far more than there ever was before with our old, buzzing, dim florescent light.    This project took a good solid 4 weeks.  The longest time was spent removing wallpaper and floor (that linoleum was in bad shape, but it sure didn't want to come off).  Moving the cabinet over 1" was more scary than difficult.  Reducing the pantry door and widening the door to the dining room only took a few days, but the cabinet staining took a while.  Cleaning, sanding, three coats of stain and two of clear, satin varnish requires quite a bit of dry time in between coats….especially on the doors since I did both sides (all doors were removed for staining……I'm a bit picky and I'd never tolerate getting stain on hardware or missing edges because of door swing). 

I panicked when the countertop arrived.  I was SO worried I'd make a mistake installing it because I'd never installed a counter top and the previous one was poorly installed (certainly not an example).  It went remarkably well and the entire thing feels rock solid.

I'm just glad that is DONE!

The next room is the dining room, though i'll only be painting it for now (a lot of wall repair, but nothing like the kitchen or bath renovation).  I think we need to replace the floor in the dining room, but my husband does not.  That room needs paint, floor and trim it's just a matter of whether we sand and refinish the floor that's there (a very worn soft pine) or install a new one.  I don't want to install trim in there before making the final decision on what we're going to do with the floor.   

Once the dining room is done I jump into another kind of tough room…..the entryway to the basement (where our dogs hang out during the day).  The walls are wrecked due to a foster dog, the floor REALLY needs work and it needs a better dog door…….and even that isn't the end.  SO MANY THINGS YET TO DO!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014 02:20:31 PM »

amazing transformation!  I really like the wall colour with your refinished cabinets, wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
bywilma
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014 03:50:56 PM »

Wow, looks great! I'm planning on a low budget kitchen makeover too. Only thing is: we live in a rental and everything has to be restored if we leave...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014 08:05:18 AM »

Gorrrrgeous transformation!

I was just reading about gel stain the other day.  I can't believe those are the same cabinets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
UnRuli

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014 06:18:19 PM »

Sweets4ever - I had really good luck with the Java Gel stain (General Finishes).  It's nice to be able to do the finish without completely stripping the cabinets, however, there are a few things you MUST do:

1.  Clean the cabinets really, really, REALLY well.  Scrub them and then scrub them again.  Any oils on the surface won't be apparent until after you have all your coats applied and you're applying your clear coat……then, suddenly a small area will "wipe off".  I learned this the hard way in the bathroom. 

2. Use nothing finer than a 120 grit sand paper.  Anything finer won't provide quite the tooth to catch.  I think the cleaning and the sanding were the worst parts of the entire process.

3.  It's SO much easier to do this with the cabinet doors removed and the hardware taken off.  Believe me, it's worth it.  It's also worth it to tape off your walls!

4.  Make sure you allow the appropriate dry time!  I waited 24 hours between coats and then 48 hours between the final coat and the first clear coat (I used Minwax Wipe-on Fast-dry Polyurethane in satin…SUPER EASY!) 

5.  You can wipe on using a rag or paint on using a brush.  I tried both methods.  I wiped on in the bathroom and painted on (thin coats) in the kitchen.  The bathroom would have been fine with 3 coats, but I needed a fourth due to some sandpaper/cleaning issues.  The kitchen might have been fine with 2 coats but I had a few missed spots.

6.  The first coat will look okay if wiped on but awful if painted on and the second coat will look awful wiped on and okay painted on, but don't give up.  The third coat is the charm.

Happy refinishing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014 07:07:42 AM »

Wow, amazing transformation! Great job. I love the colors you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014 06:56:05 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured ProjectSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
UnRuli

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014 05:33:36 AM »

Oh my……thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014 06:32:43 AM »

Yes, I can see the grain still on the cabinets - but with the stain, it just seems to add a rich texture.  With the medium wall tone and the white counters, if it was a flat painted surface, I suspect it would have the look of a cheap new build - I really like the way you did it and it is obvious you put a lot of care and effort into it.

We are going to redo our kitchen too - ours will have to be a redo as what we have in now are reused commercial cabinets from a reno DH did years ago in a business, but I was thinking a mid tone wood and darker counter, now I am rethinking a dark cabinet with a lighter counter based on your post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
maraschino

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014 05:21:39 PM »

How long did this reno take?? Breathtaking!!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014 02:09:34 PM »

maraschino - The renovation was stretched out over a period of time due to my busy work schedule and other household projects that needed to be done so this entire thing took place over about 4-5 weeks.

I had to install an outlet in the cabinet above the stove so that took some drywall repair after cutting out wall to run the wire.  Reducing the pantry door and expanding the dining room door took about 4 days to finish and mud.  Removing the wallpaper was extremely time consuming, but if I only had to spackle & paint just that might have taken a day.  Flooring was two half-days (a LOT of custom cuts due to all the doorways and fitting around cabinets), but removing the old linoleum before putting down the floor took longer (it was buckled otherwise we would have just installed over it).  There was also time spent moving the cabinet next to the fridge over 1" to accommodate the larger refrigerator.

The cabinets themselves took more hours to remove doors, scrub (you have to clean them REALLY well), and scuff sand than actual time to do the refinishing itself.  I did one coat each morning and allowed the stain to dry 24 hours between coats and then I left 48 hours before adding the satin top coat.  Because the doors had two sides to be finished they took twice as long due to dry times between coats.  To put one coat on one side of all the doors and all of the cabinets in a day it took only about 2 hours.  

Countertops took a day as I ordered them remeasured from Menards & only had to install them.  They do take a bit of work to install (to get them to line up to the wall) but it's not bad.  Replacing the lights?  I think that was the easiest part!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014 12:22:14 PM by UnRuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

maraschino

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014 10:00:10 PM »

Honestly seems like it would have taken much longer.. Good work! Smiley

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Makes Althorp Literary Festival So Different?
Dr Kate Williams Talks About Queen Elizabeth II at Althorp Festival
The Age of Miracles Book Trailer
David Maraniss Discusses His Audiobook, Barack Obama
Colm Toibin on His Audiobook, New Ways to Kill Your Mother
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...