A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,485
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starbucks Journal  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread: bookbinding , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StaticMonster
« on: April 17, 2014 10:45:42 AM »

Hello, and thank you for stopping by to check out my little craft. I wanted to share a journal that I made out of recycled materials.

The cover of the book is made out of a popcorn box, and the paper on the outside of it is a paper bag from Starbucks.

The pages are just plain copy paper that I tea dyed and baked in the oven. Altogether I ended up with 35 pages (70 once folded in half; 7 signatures, each containing 5 sheets of paper).

I sewed the journal, and used jute string. I would definitely not recommend that type of string because it "sheds" a lot. Also, it tends to thin out the more you pull on it; and you will pull on it a lot in the process of bookbinding. However, it was what I had on hand, and it did the job.

The 'Starbucks' label on the inside is also from the bag, as well as the brown banner. The black banner is left over scrap from the inside cover.

I still have a lot of embellishing to do on my journal, but I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt. I think this is my new favorite craft. I've collected quite a bit of paper over the past couple of years, and now I know what to do with it. Plus, I'm a big notebook fan, but I can never find one to suit me, so it's great that I can make my own!

I hope you enjoyed my project! Thank you again for stopping by. Have a great day (today and everyday)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentblair
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014 10:53:47 AM »

This is really cool!
I've never attempted book binding before and I bow down to your great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StaticMonster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014 11:04:30 AM »

Thanks, silentblair! I was intimidated at first, but once you get through your first one, you have templates and measurements, so it's a lot easier to do the next ones. I've already started on another one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mariak
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014 11:12:41 AM »

Great journal!  Grin i love making journals they are great fun to make and addictive as well, i have made my own art journals, junk journals and i made a midori type notebook holder and made the notebooks to go inside.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StaticMonster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014 11:27:22 AM »

Thank you!

I really want to make a Midori Traveler Notebook. Did you make yours out of leather? I like the idea that you can make your own notebooks to go inside them, and that it's not permanent, so you can take notebooks out and whatnot. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use yours for? I love to see how other people use their notebooks/stay organized. Often times, I can't bring myself to write in my notebooks because I'm afraid my ugly handwriting will ruin it. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mariak
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014 11:35:19 AM »

yes i made it out of leather. i made 3 notebooks square for diary, lined for journalling and card for art journal.  Smiley I have horrible handwriting, i am left handed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StaticMonster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014 11:48:46 AM »

I'm left-handed, too! (Maybe I should make a left-handed notebook.) But, I heard we're more creative because of it. Also, artists' have bad handwriting in general? lol

That's neat! Did you use the "Ray-dori" tutorial on YouTube? Or, did you just wing it based on your knowledge of bookbinding? I'm really excited to have started learning this craft. =D

I'm still trying to decide how I want to use my Starbucks journal. The paper isn't lined, so the possibilities are endless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mariak
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014 12:04:59 PM »

Cheesy yes i used the tutorial for the leather cover and then just made my own 3 notebooks and also a craft folder from pocketfulofvintage.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014 08:37:35 AM »

This is a lovely journal! I love that's it made with recycled materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
cyberchica702
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014 12:25:30 PM »

That's such a cool binding! I've done quite a few coptic stitch but never this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Ancho-Jalapeno Chile Sauce with Chicken Thighs
‘Taste of Home’ Magazine’s Barbecued Burgers Recipe
Cristina Ferrare’s Peach Tea-Brined Chicken with Bourbon-Peach BBQ Sauce
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Scampi
Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...