A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clutches  (Read 706 times)
Tags for this thread: clutch , ruffle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennlrc

Me and The Boys

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2014 03:25:54 PM »

I got these patterns from the Amy Butler book "Institches."
The first one I made was with left over plaid wool fabric and linen from a few previous projects. I just basically wanted something to do and decided to give it a whirl, I wasn't buying anything new so I was just happy that I was keeping busy. I didn't like the weird rose thing that the pattern had originally called for, but when I finished it, it needed something so . . . I found a flower Barret/pin that I had from my little sisters wedding this past spring and fixed it on. Honestly, it was cake and even the small smudge up at the top inside, it's all good to me.

The other one . . . well . . . I hate it. I had such a hard time with this that I wanted to throw it in the trash several times and set it on fire. Again I used left overs form previous patterns so I was just happy to be keeping busy, but the directions on this thing were terrible! I opted for buttons instead of Velcro because . . . it's fricken Velcro! No way am I going to use that on a purse, those are meant for kids shoes and such, not handbags! I was happy with my choice, and then came the ruffle. I could hear my Great Grandmother the whole time in my head telling me that the ruffles were too gathered on one side and lopsided and terrible and I should just give up now. After the ruffles tore me down, I worked on the zipper. You may notice from the lack of zipper on in the photos, that it did not go so well. That is because the zipper was the devil and refused to go on correctly, 3 times. I opted to applique the blue bar and more buttons, hating it the whole time and furious that the zipper got the best of me. The inside was cake, until it wasn't. Measured to a T, twice in fact, it was too large once I was finished and folding over the seam was a nightmare because of the bulk - even when I clipped some of it out. I ended up making the card holders on the right too small to actually fit cards! UGH! Just UGH! Needless to say I have never been more happy to be done with a project. I still want to set it on fire, but I am holding out. Maybe my mood will change with time, but all I can see is problems with it. I am so mad I am pretty sure I am not going to even use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014 05:54:24 PM »

I think these both look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014 11:47:10 AM »

Sorry to hear all your troubles with the second bag - I think we all have tried to work on a project that just wouldn't cooperate. But I think it looks very pretty. The first one, too, very classy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewfumust
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014 04:47:25 AM »

Well, now.  The bags are both "good-looking."  The first is an elegant lady.  To me, the second seems a little odd, precisely because of the frill.  Everything else about it is so rectangular.   I wonder what it would look like without it.  As for Amy's patterns, you have my sympathy.  They can be a handful.  I love the Birdie sling that I made but I did vow to never make it again.  I had some problems understanding its construction, in spite of the photos etc.  Some people knock them off with ease.  Don't be hard on yourself because of mistakes that only you could know about.  Take 'em for a stroll.  They're sure to be admired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Face Paint a Union Jack Flag
Shepard Fairey Mural Time Lapse
Jerry Saltz Shows His Favorite Paintings
Andy Warhol: The Last Decade Exhibit Tour
Paints On Ceiling
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...