A few months ago, I made myself a tote bag using a skull & rose print fabric. I drew the pattern up myself and the construction was pretty easy, so I decided to make a couple others. I am new to bag making, so this simple tote was a nice start.
This is pretty much identical to the one I made for myself.
This fabric didn't photograph very well. It is a lovely print, I wish I had used a lighter colour for the main body.
Showing off my snazzy patch pocket with some pegs.. as you do..
Both bags are lined in this tan polka dot poplin. I had bought the black cotton for the main body and the lining when I made my original tote bag with the skull & rose fabric. These didn't work quite so well with the Buddha fabric.
I had now made a few totes and wanted to see if I could work on putting closures in. For some reason, rather than draw up a new pattern, I had it in my head that I could expand my original pattern and just add a top piece with a zip to close the bag.
So I ended up with this..
There are so many things wrong with this bag..
I wanted an inset top panel (if that makes sense)... this just created a lot of bulk and everything was ok until I went to topstitch the top edge. I couldn't get it under the machine so had to hand sew a lot of it.
I ordered 5 of these zips in the wrong size, so the zip is too small for the bag. I also lined it in a black cotton that I found in my fabric stash as nothing else matched.... as the zip is too small and the inside is black, it is difficult to see inside the bag
First go at attaching d-rings.
I made so many mistakes while making this bag. The pattern was no good and as it's too big, it doesn't sit very well. I ended up having to hand sew a snap closure on it to hold the top together... I love it regardless and still plan on using it.
In all, I don't think it was bad for a first go... I'm not letting all the mistakes put me off, so you will hopefully be seeing more bags from me in the future!