A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Honest Opinion of my craft business, What I've done so far and what I need to do  (Read 382 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HomemadeandHandturned
« on: April 10, 2014 12:11:58 AM »

So in my company we are going to be creating Homemade Pens, Pencils, Wine bottle stoppers, Shaving kits and a few more things All created by carving down wood or acrylic and polishing it to really make the grain pop or acrylic shine! Here is a few pictures of our products!
We create everything from scratch!

To see our pictures Please visit our Facebook Page @ Www.Facebook.com/Handturned

Or you can see our setup on Ebay of our first test run of Pens/Pencils http://www.ebay.com/sch/homemadehandturned/m.html?item=281303734768&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417f0259f0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Our next steps are to create a website where you can design and order your own products, Build a kickstarter & IndieGoGo, Purchase a laser engraver, & Run our business to it's full potential! Please leave constructive criticism, ideas, tips and any help or support! It's all appreciated, Thank you all very much! =) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014 03:40:10 AM »

I have hesitated to answer because I did a Bing search for "handcrafted wood pens" and over 6 million sites came up. And I saw prices ranging from around $5 to over $250.

Do you plan to just sell online? Why? How much money do you think you will make? Will it be enough to justify the cost of the equipment you want to purchase? Because you and every other wood turner will be using the exact same methods to get on the first page of the search engines.

Have you considered selling face to face with potential customers at craft shows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014 02:01:26 PM »

I love wood pens, and yours are very pretty indeed. Maybe you already do craft shows, but I agree with Chris that it should be a regular part of your sales strategy if it isn't already, along with trying to get them into local shops. These are great gift items and wood especially is very desirable in our modern, plastic world.

I like the idea of custom work, but as a practical matter you might consider just offering a range of parts and people can just select the parts they want so that custom work can be contained within specific parameters and you can control your supplies. For example, 1) choose pine, mahogany, or chestnut, 2) choose brass, gold or silver metal 3) choose script or serif font for engraving and so on. That way you can give the customer the feeling of "custom" without having too many variables that may end up cutting into your profits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
At Home with our Indian Chef Kirti Rahi
How to Make Cucumber Raita
How to Make a Mongolian Cabbage Salad
At Home with our Mongolian Chef Odnoo Celik
How to Make Mongolian Buuz Dumplings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...