After my first failed project for this challenge (which we don't speak of. Let's just say it involved melted plastic and burned fingers), I decided I wanted to try something with bottles. I looked around for different ideas and saw that some people made chalkboard bottles
. I wanted to try something like that, but fancier. I got a hold of a couple of maple syrup bottles that had a nice shape and went to work, and eventually ended up with bottles with shaped chalkboards.
First I cleaned the bottles and removed the labels. You can see the shapes that will be the chalkboard. I had read that when painting glass, it can help to rough it up a little, so sanded it just a little bit to help the paint stick.
I gave them 2 coats of spray paint with this gorgeous turquoise I had on hand.
After that, it was time for the chalkboard paint. You can find it in jars and sprays, but I used a spray. I covered all the places where I didn't want it with painter's tape and plastic.
I ended up with this on the front:
And this on the back:
During handling and removing the painter's tape, some of the color came off. I was going to touch up all the problem spots, but decided I actually like the slightly distressed look, so left some of spots untouched. Still, it looked a little plain, so I added a twine wrap to the bottom and neck.
At this point they were done. I could write some quasi-motivational nonsense on them...
But I prefer something a little more Whovian.
Or maybe something Browncoat.