A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Australian guy about to make his own clothes  (Read 392 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Utilitarian Sewing Guy
« on: April 03, 2014 07:45:10 PM »

I am a utilitarian kind of guy that wants to make a no-fuss good looking business casual wardrobe.

Dress shirts 10-14.
Dress pants 5-10.
Jackets 1-5.
Vests 1-5.
Outerwear 1-2.

What economical non-iron warm weather materials are appropriate for the above items?

Will a Singer 1408 sewing machine $154 AUD off ebay be sufficient for my needs?

Can any one recommend me a standard pattern for the above items?

Your advice may save me much time and money so I thank you. 

My guitar playing/building hobby has costed me $3500+ and I want to prevent a budget blowout with this new sewing hobby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014 08:06:52 PM »

I applaud your do-it-yourself attitude! 

That sewing machine would probably be fine for most clothing.  Is there Craigslist in Australia, or another free online classified service?  You might find a better price--I see one listed in a google search for $98 US.

Have you ever sewn before?  There is a learning curve.  I would suggest starting with something fairly simple, like a sports shirt, and see if you enjoy sewing or if you get all bolluxed up.

I would suggest a polyester/cotton blend for a shirt.  At least 50% cotton to keep it cool, the polyester makes it no-iron.  (BTW, if a garment looks a little rumpled, you can toss it in the dryer with a damp cloth for a few minutes to tumble out the wrinkles.)

Pants are a bit trickier to fit; if you turn out to be similar in shape to the pattern (or aren't too picky), you'll do fine.  Vests aren't too hard--use a great contrast lining for some excitement. 

Jackets and outerwear, on the other hand, are specialty items usually requiring tailoring skills.  I've been sewing for 50 years, but wouldn't take on a man's jacket unless I had to.  And then I would be cussing and moaning about what a pain it is.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Utilitarian Sewing Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014 03:16:05 AM »

I am pretty handy I made a pair of boxers when I was in high school but sewing was more interesting to my sister and late mother.

I think I could see myself making a pair of pajama pants.

Good idea with craigs list, that should save some money.

I can pick up one of these on the weekend but I am not sure which is the best deal.

$49 BROTHER Basic Sewing Machine
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kotara/other-appliances/brother-basic-sewing-machine-vg-condition-serviced-tested/1043253942

$95 SINGER 14U12A Overlocker Sewing Machine
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kotara/other-appliances/brother-basic-sewing-machine-vg-condition-serviced-tested/1043253942

$65 Juki 3 spool Overlocker Sewing Machine
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kotara/other-appliances/juki-3-spool-overlocker-sewing-machine-works-well-serviced/1042747309

Thanks a lot for the help, getting into a new hobby can be daunting.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014 03:17:48 AM by Utilitarian Sewing Guy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014 01:56:34 PM »

I would go with a plain ol' sewing machine to start, rather than a serger/overlocker.  Sergers can be fiddly, lots more to go wrong than a sewing machine.  Later, if you start sewing a lot of knits, a serger might be great for you.

Pajama pants would be a great project.  Check patterns at your local sewing/fabric store--there's often a rack of extra-easy patterns that would include pajamas, robes, simple shirts. 

There are also big books of patterns to check out; the men's section is usually quite thin and near the back.  Simplicity and McCalls patterns and directions are usually pretty straightforward, I've had problems with Burda.  Of course some of those companies might have gone out of business, I usually make my own patterns these days and so don't check the books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Utilitarian Sewing Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014 11:22:56 PM »

I picked up the Brother Basic Sewing machine for $49.  The fellow that sold it to me showed me all the features and how to set it up, it was great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylvan
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014 05:33:06 AM »

Thrift stores can sometimes be a good place to find patterns cheaply.
And if the previous pattern owner is like me, they will have written notes into the instructions on how they had to adapt the patten. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014 10:55:22 PM »

so, 'Stralian guy, didja make anything yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Terry Cloth Bath Mitts for Kids
How to Make a True Family Tree Board
How to Make a Superhero Cape
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...