A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for southwestern-inspired Jersey Knits  (Read 230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 01, 2014 10:34:54 PM »

HI! I am a newbie sewist so I don't know the best places to look yet, so pardon if this is a stupid question.
I am looking for southwestern-inspired/pendelton-patterned jersey knits.
I have made a few pairs of pants and maxi-skirts for my infant daughter from old clothes of mine and I have been asked to make more for friends, but I don't have any more old skirts and stuff so I figure I will just have to go the "legit" route and get fabric. lol
thanks for any help you can give me. Like I said I am a noob
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts winter Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014 08:31:39 AM »

You can check your thrift stores and churches.
You know, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and many churches also offer a clothing pantry. Some senior centers do, too.
You might also post a link on Freecycle.com. Describing what you need. Many members there are happy to destash to a good home.

Another idea? Take up painting and make your own textiles. If you learn to stencil...it is easy peasy. And muslin is cheap. There are pre-cut stencils you can buy...or just make your own. Don't limit your shop to the craft stores. Hardware stores often have neat stencils in their paint/wallpaper section. For using on wall borders, and such. But they could be used on fabric.

Stenciling is easy. Get a good pounce brush, and some quality fabric paints. And you are ready to rock and roll.

Fabric Sizing...the important key so that the ink/paint on the fabric does not "bleed" under the stencil. StayFlo Liquid Starch is my go-to. You get that where you buy laundry products. Instructions on the label. Pre-treat the fabric with it so it is stiff.

There are also temporary spray adhesives to help you on the underside of the stencil...to keep it in place while you work. Think Post It Notes  Grin

Hope this is helpful.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014 10:41:01 AM »

You can check your thrift stores and churches.
You know, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and many churches also offer a clothing pantry. Some senior centers do, too.
You might also post a link on Freecycle.com. Describing what you need. Many members there are happy to destash to a good home.

Another idea? Take up painting and make your own textiles. If you learn to stencil...it is easy peasy. And muslin is cheap. There are pre-cut stencils you can buy...or just make your own. Don't limit your shop to the craft stores. Hardware stores often have neat stencils in their paint/wallpaper section. For using on wall borders, and such. But they could be used on fabric.

Stenciling is easy. Get a good pounce brush, and some quality fabric paints. And you are ready to rock and roll.

Fabric Sizing...the important key so that the ink/paint on the fabric does not "bleed" under the stencil. StayFlo Liquid Starch is my go-to. You get that where you buy laundry products. Instructions on the label. Pre-treat the fabric with it so it is stiff.

There are also temporary spray adhesives to help you on the underside of the stencil...to keep it in place while you work. Think Post It Notes  Grin

Hope this is helpful.

~T

COOL! thanks for the input! I am a huge thrift-junkie so I have been checking there when I go, but it didn't occur to me to think of freecycle or CL. durrr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts winter Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Foot Fred Autobiography Trailer
Author Zeke Pipher on Finding Balance
Signed by Zelda Book Trailer
John Benjamin Hickey on Narrating In One Person
Molly Quinn on Narrating City of Lost Souls
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...