A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Abstract Zodiac w/Watercolors (Picture Heavy!)  (Read 760 times)
Tags for this thread: watercolor , zodiac  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErinAquaheart
« on: March 29, 2014 07:33:11 PM »

I've been working on this series pretty steadily for just at a year now.  I am taking a break for a bit to let myself get reinspired.  Hopefully sharing the ones I have finished will help.  

I have designed all 12 of the zodiac with zentangle designs and am halfway through painting them with watercolors.  So far I have finished 6.  Three are 6x6 and three are 9x12.  (When they are all finished I will have four 9x12, four 6x6, and four 8x8.)

So in order Aquarius, Pisces, Virgo (all 9x12) and Aries, Cancer, Gemini (all 6x6)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014 07:47:21 PM by ErinAquaheart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014 12:12:08 AM »

har, har. The Gemini twins crack me up. But these are ALL really neat!

And I am politely requesting a tutorial on your color and shading methods. And what supplies and equipment you use.

I can't wait to see the finished project. What are you wanting to use them for? Framing in a group? Or pasted on pages in a scrapbooky/journal thing?

I'm Cancer  Grin The Crab.

~T

Adding: these wonderful pictures are not zentangle. They are art. Zentangle is when you doodle on your matchbook cover. Or the end of your tie  Grin I really like these. I look forward to seeing the rest of them. Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014 12:21:04 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
VagabondElf
Intrepid searcher of the perfect craft.

Icon by Leonid Afremov

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014 08:29:08 AM »

These are really gorgeous. I love the colors, and I don't usually like these colors, but they are great together in your work. I can't wait to see Taurus!

Craft on!
Petra
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."
-Albert Einstein

"There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way." --Christopher Morley
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014 07:46:14 PM »

Stillatthetop:  Thank you!  And I have been properly schooled...I have been informed that these are abstract representations of the zodiac....I am shamed... Roll Eyes  I will see what I can do about a tutorial...I've never done that before so it is a little daunting.

As for my supplies: I used watercolor paper (I prefer blocks to sheets because they don't curl as much.) For these I used an Aquarelle block for the large 9x12 ones and then I found a 6x6 Canson watercolor pad for the rest.  I am going to try a mid-ranged price watercolor pad for the 8x8 ones because I really hated the texture of the Canson.  It had a lined-ness that really drove me crazy because the color had a tendency to bleed up and down the crevices of the lines. ANNOYING!

And Windsor Newton artist grade watercolors.  I find that they are truest to color and easiest to blend my own colors without becoming muddy.  Funny enough, I used mostly kids brushes for the washes, but when it came time to get into the small spots and outline the darkest shades I always use a good liner brush. The tiniest I can find!

When they are all finished I plan on framing them all separately.  There is a juried art exhibit in my area, the Delta Art Exhibit, that happens every year, that I plan on entering the complete set into.  I also want to get the images scanned so that I can possibly use them in other commercial ways. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014 10:34:26 PM »

Thank you. And a tute is nothing more then explaining what happened when you made it. But you have done that with your last post. You already made your tutorial  Grin Now the rest of us just have to play  Tongue

I love Windsor Newton, too. Fresh colors.

Workable Fixative....or starch spray, then paint. That seals the top image. And nothing will bleed from there. There is also a liquid starch product...wets the paper,  but makes it stiff...flatten with a large book and wax paper between until it dries. Look in your laundry section of your stores.

I still want one of those mole skin books. I don't know what the paper is like.

I like the pre-blocked stacks, too. Otherwise, you have to wait for it to dry after you mask tape it to your counter.  Grin

I like your abstracts...don't be shamed. They are pretty. I love your shading.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014 05:23:47 PM »

Good note about the workable fixative... I hadn't even thought of that!

And it's funny...I never mask tape anything down first...I know that people do but I always seem to jump in and get started and then remember that I could have done that.   Roll Eyes  I am about to start on a watercolor for my aunt that is not anything that I would like to paint but she wants it...that will have to be taped down first.

* It's baseball themed.  And I don't like sports...or maroon...bleh...so I'm in a hurry to get it done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014 03:11:17 AM »

Shame, shame. You have to block your paper for watercolor. Or it will curl.
If that happens, you can steam iron on the backside. And hopefully that gets the curlies out. And keep your heavy books and wax paper handy!  Grin Then, just let it set for a night.

I hate some of the themes I am playing with for my current swap, too  Roll Eyes But they are going OK.

You are a wonderful artist. I wish you great luck on your journey.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014 10:28:36 AM »

These are gorgeous!!  You've really achieved a vibrancy of colour and so much detail....I can't wait to see your Taurus too Smiley  Thanks for sharing some of your process, when I used to do watercolour I made a "canvas" by stapling the wet watercolour paper to a frame.  Once it dried it was stretched and perfectly flat....plus you could hang it easily once the paint was done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
lainsie64
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014 01:03:06 AM »

These are amazing!  can't wait to see more
Elaine
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014 05:02:41 AM by MissingWillow - Reason: To comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Moisturizing Hair Conditioner
How to Texture Hair
Short Hairstyles for Women
African American Hairstyles Tips
How to Create Long Hair Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...