A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for kilt-sewing class somewhere near Detroit...  (Read 200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2014 05:02:54 PM »

I've found books and video tutorials and all the usual resources, but what I'd really like is to find an honest-to-goodness, hands-on, professionally-led, real-deal kilt-making class somewhere within an hour of the Detroit area.

Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014 12:58:47 PM »

Do you mean real Scottish kilts?  I thought they were traditionally just a long length of fabric that was pleated and tucked into place each time a man got dressed.

Yeah, I'm not helpful, just wondering Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014 04:19:25 PM »

I haven't heard of any in the Detroit area.  I've been wanting to learn the Prince Charlie kilt technique too but can only find limited online videos that don't really show a step by step process.  What I have gathered in my research is that the technique is years in developing, and that they don't teach it to just anybody.  Maybe a trip to Scotland?  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014 08:33:34 AM »

Steiconi, what you're talking about is sometimes referred to as a "great kilt," that's where he basically rolls himself up in a big length of cloth. I'm talking about a sewn and tailored pleated kilt.

The making of the beast doesn't look like it would be all that difficult -- the complications are introduced according to what tartan you use! And I have a lot of questions, like what are the various reasons for pleating to certain parts of the plaid etc that I think would be better served by an in-person class. Not having much luck there. I do own the Simplicity 5029 "costume" kilt which can get me to where I want to go, but it doesn't address my cultural questions.

Barbara Tewksbury's "The Art of Kilt Making" seems to be the reference of choice for non-pros. For some totally bizarre reason, amazon.com has it listed for $100+ when you can still get it from the publisher for $35:
http://www.securepay.com/easyshop/products.asp?id=16&cat=Books&mMerch_ID=31971

I may get the book, but I STILL would prefer to actually spend time with an experienced seamstress. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Indian Lentil Stew
How to Make Dosas with Lentils and Rice
How to Make Eel Sauce
How To Make Egg Drop Soup
How to Make a Banh Mi Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...