A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Spring Planting 2014  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread: gardening , vegetable_garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WitchyPuOnline
« on: March 23, 2014 06:37:46 PM »

So this is my first go at gardening on my own. In the past I watered plants for my parents and friends but I never did any of the real dirty work. So this Sunday afternoon while I had the place to myself I sat on the porch and setup shop. My tools simple, just potting soil, pen, pack of popcisle sticks, five packs of seeds, three ice trays and some leftover foam cups from a BBQ. 

After getting a bit messy and settling the newly little foam cups and ice tray pots on the side of the house I took a few photos of all my work. I hung the tomato plant and green pepper from the windows, and below are the to be seedlings home.

Almost forgot inside the pots and trays are:
-Sweet Peas
-Green Beans
-Tomatos
-Eggplant
-Yellow Squash

If there are any errors please let me know first upload here and thanks for looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beware the "crafter" after midnight!

Swaps
OTST:Done
LV:current
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014 07:52:29 AM »

Looking good! Getting messy is the best part of gardening. Good luck with your seedlings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchyPuOnline
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014 07:25:15 PM »

Thanks Abbeerroad. Just added some strawberries and cucumbers this morning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps
sbrown9578
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014 02:35:26 AM »

Can you help me?. I started some seeds indoors in those green house packages 100 to a pack. I got 3 of them. I nicked some of the seeds, as I have never done before, and they have just about all sprouted in under 3 days. I put them on the dryer and did a load of laundry and also had one on the stove top ( it is a glass top). I discovered they liked heat. (because that is when they sprouted. Now I have noticed some furry stuff on the soil and some on the stems of the sprouts. What is this? Is it harmful? What do I do about it? I have green beans, yellow beans, cauliflower, broccoli, yellow squash. Yes I know broccoli and cauliflower are winter but on the package it says for growing season is feb.-sept. So I am going to give them a try. I am also going to add peas an cucumber, maybe potatoes. Even though we don't eat potatoes, I plan on sharing some of my bounty with a building full of senor citizens to help them get by. I don't plan on charging a cent. I picked up gardening as a way to get more sun because of a vitamin D deficiency and also it is good exercise and I can go at my own pace or if needed incorporate help from husband.

p.s. Nice tutorial

Thank you
Sbrown9578@aol.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchyPuOnline
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014 03:58:36 PM »

Can you help me?. I started some seeds indoors in those green house packages 100 to a pack. I got 3 of them. I nicked some of the seeds, as I have never done before, and they have just about all sprouted in under 3 days. I put them on the dryer and did a load of laundry and also had one on the stove top ( it is a glass top). I discovered they liked heat. (because that is when they sprouted. Now I have noticed some furry stuff on the soil and some on the stems of the sprouts. What is this? Is it harmful? What do I do about it? I have green beans, yellow beans, cauliflower, broccoli, yellow squash. Yes I know broccoli and cauliflower are winter but on the package it says for growing season is feb.-sept. So I am going to give them a try. I am also going to add peas an cucumber, maybe potatoes. Even though we don't eat potatoes, I plan on sharing some of my bounty with a building full of senor citizens to help them get by. I don't plan on charging a cent. I picked up gardening as a way to get more sun because of a vitamin D deficiency and also it is good exercise and I can go at my own pace or if needed incorporate help from husband.

p.s. Nice tutorial

Thank you
Sbrown9578@aol.com

Hello sbrown9578

I believe you may have some mole growing on the stems and surface of the soil. It happens when your plants don't get enough light and the soil stays wet. I have used a mixture of vinegar and water to kill the mole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps
WitchyPuOnline
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014 04:16:18 PM »

One month update on my garden. As you can see in the pics the seedlings have started to sprout. I soon I will be moving them into a raisebed, I'm still working that project.

Only problem so far are the people cats next door knocking the seedlings over. Also the ones in the ice trays aren't sprouting yet.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014 04:19:27 PM by WitchyPuOnline » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014 08:33:21 AM »

Thanks for sharing your progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Michael Jackson
How to Draw Megi Simpson
How to Draw Megaman
How to Draw Maximus
How to Draw Martian Manhunter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...