A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: February & March 2014 ATCs (pic heavy)  (Read 400 times)
Tags for this thread: atc  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2014 06:48:06 PM »

I've been busy with the Ongoing ATC Swap the last couple of months, and since I'm very proud of many of the cards I made this round, I wanted to take the time to give them their own thread.

This first one depicts a scene from the Japanese folktale "Kaguya-hime" (also known as "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter").  The image is based on illustrations from the "World Masterpiece Fantasy" series edition -- kind of like the Japanese version of Golden Books (i.e., every Japanese I know under the age of 30 had them as a kid).

Also with a Japanese theme is this origami card.  The front of the card has origami paper glued on, and an origami crane design has been cut out of the center.  The cut-out actually goes all the way through, but I put a black card behind it to help the image stand out in the photo.

This is a Word Puzzle theme card -- the first letter of each mini-picture spells out the mystery seven-letter word.  One can pull up the flap to get a peak of the answer.  Which is...

Along a similar vein is this Harry Potter-themed card featuring a portrait of the Fat Lady (this is before I added the  cut-out window panels):

Looks like some Gryffindors are trying to sneak out past curfew!  (As soon as I saw that book of HP stamps at the post office, I envisioned this project in my head.)

The next card was for a "Hello Kitty as...." theme.  I found an inspiration image on the recipient's Pinterest of a Dia de los Muertos-style Hello Kitty.

I also did a couple of needle-felted cards, both with a spring theme:

And now, on to my favorites.  Wink

blupaisan made an amazing Valentine's Day present for her daughter, which featured (as one of MANY elements) a Richard Scarry aspect.  This immediately took me back to memories of my childhood: whenever my grandmother would come to visit us, the first thing my brother and I would do is sit down with her in the big recliner and have her read the same Richard Scarry book to us.  I went on to make an ATC for blupaisan featuring a scene of my grandmother reading to us, with all of us represented as Scarry characters.  (I'm Lowly Worm!  Cheesy)

I did a couple of yaoi-themed cards based on images from the recipient's Pinterest:

to change your image viewing settings please click here

Last but not least is this Figure Study themed card.

In some ways, it is my very favorite of the whole batch.  I have never been very strong at drawing, and when I first joined the ATC Swaps, I refused to freehand cards, instead tracing or using other mediums to do cards, because I feared that the recipients would be disappointed if they received a free-handed card from me.  But over time, I have been slowly building up my confidence in my drawing, and I feel like I've come a long way.  To think that I've gotten to the point where I can do black-and-white cards (in other words, I can't rely on color, etc. to "cover up" my drawing) is a big deal for me.  In fact, the only cards in this post that were traced were the two yaoi ones, and the origami crane (for the sake of achieving straight lines).  I am looking forward to continue improving my drawing skills in the coming months, especially once summer starts.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014 06:55:06 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Luvebuggy99

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014 07:42:04 PM »

I love all your ATCs! You're really good at them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap 'til you drop!

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces! PM ME! Smiley
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014 08:27:12 PM »

Awesome variety for one thing.  The R. S. one is just so sweet that you sent away your memories.  The little felt ones are charming.  But that last one...my jaw dropped when you said you didn't think you could free hand!  That last one is just so perfect!  Nice work Grin

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the Japanese ones and how FAB they are.  I've been super into watching everything I can find about Japan on YouTube recently so I was excited to see those Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014 10:22:19 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014 09:23:22 AM »

I am an admirer so it is wonderful to see your talent , or should I say, your confidence develop!

the first card did indeed bring back happy childhood memories...I now want a peach boy one! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

StudioANF
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014 11:12:27 AM »

You've got some mad skills!!  Smiley

I think they all are beautifully done -- your free-hand skills are awesome.  I've always struggled with figure drawing myself so I totally get the frustration there but keep it up!  I can't wait to see your future work and watch you grow as an artist!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Nichole
Studio ANF

I sell on Etsy! www.etsy.com/shop/studioanf
I blog!  www.studioanf.blogs pot.com

(Would totally do personal ATC swaps!)

Taking the world by storm, one creation at a time...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
Liv Tyler For Pantene in Chilled
A Quick 5-Minute Updo
How to Flat Iron Your Hair
How To Make A Bun With A Sock
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...