A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Partners for Swaps  (Read 1228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alittlemusthave
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Another cup of tea ?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014 04:08:16 PM »

Along this vein I am curious how organizers feel about people requesting certain partners. I had heard of it being done then decided to browse through people's work and pick a partner for myself to try it out. The organizer seemed fine with this and even mentioned that others had requested partners too. In general, how do you feel about requests? Do you get bombarded with them? Do you find that some people will request the same person? Would you rather the swappers step back and let you do all the pairing? I am just curious about what this does for the organizer. Do you find this helpful, frustrating or are you indifferent to it? (I am not referring to two people choosing each other, but rather one person picking someone without the recipient's knowledge that they've been requested.)

I've never hosted before but here is my view. I think it's fine to request someone maybe once if you've never been partnered with them before and you admire their work, but I think it's unfair  and rude if you request that person many times over. Just because you are then limiting the other swappers to experience that partner, and I think the whole craftster swap process is meant to be so that you can experience many different artists work. If there is a craftster that is well known and has great work that Many people admire, I think their would be many who want to be partnered with them, and it would be unfair if they had the same partner each swap.
Sometimes you can look at someone's past craft and think it may not be your cup of tea, but then you get partnered up and they just go and wow you!
Just my view as a fellow swapster!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014 04:11:22 PM by Alittlemusthave » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014 08:28:43 AM »

I totally agree with you, Alittlemusthave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014 04:11:29 PM »

I agree that mixing up partners is awesome!  I requested someone once, mostly because it was going to be a personal swap but we could make it official since we were looking at some big stuff so that worked out great.  I do get worried sometimes, though, when I see *so* many people partnering up that I'll end up unwanted  Embarrassed

I think that's one reason I've tended to gravitate towards OWS and SSS since returning last year to craftster after a hiatus.  I always feel really insecure about no one wanting to partner with me, even if it's just based on their preferences for other people rather than any aversion to me.  I've just noticed that the asking for particular partners has become much more common lately and honestly, sometimes I hesitate to join a little bit.

(Any of you doing the Beloved Pet swap are just SOL though, someone out there's getting stuck with me on that one - I'll risk embarrassment for things of my pups  Wink  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014 04:29:58 PM »

As an organizer and a swapper, I can't say that I've been witness to a lot of people pre-partnering. I'm sure no one would feel "stuck" with you, rockmygypsysoul.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014 05:41:31 PM »

As an organizer and a swapper, I can't say that I've been witness to a lot of people pre-partnering. I'm sure no one would feel "stuck" with you, rockmygypsysoul.  Smiley

I agree. Anyone would be lucky to have you as their partner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frugal Living Swap Rd 6: Sent!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014 06:14:40 PM »

Believe me, rockmygypsysoul, no one is fibbing when they say that YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I would love to be paired with you in a swap!

I have occasionally asked for a specific partner for a swap, but that is b/c I was a close Craftster friend of that person, and we hadn't swapped in awhile and missed each other.  Wink  Also, for awhile there, I was being partnered with people that I didn't have anything in common with and that is a great stressor for me.  Tongue  So choosing a person that I was familiar with his/her likes or dislikes was a relief for me.

Also, as an organizer, he/she has to look at variables such as where the participants in a swap are willing to ship (domestic or international), allergies, wants/likes, etc... so that is something to consider.

And you know, I now recognize that I have improved in some areas in my ability to craft.  I also know that I need to improve in other areas.  But I do think that people can tell when effort, time, and thought are put into what was sent to them, and that is what makes the items special...not necessarily crafting talent, "extras", etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014 03:36:01 AM »

Right now I am wishing I had requested a specific partner in a swap - not because I really want a particular partner for their amazing skills, but because I signed up right after the swap opened and the wait for partners is killing me. It isn't even a terribly long sign-up period, but I want to start crafting for it already. Sometimes requesting a specific partner is more about wanting to get started than it is about anything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014 07:40:10 AM »

That's why when I organize, I have a short signup time and limited swapping spots available. I want a swap to fill up quickly. No patience, I guess. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Tyrant: Putting Your College Style Behind You
Hair Tyrant: A Warmer Professional Style
Ashley Javier: Hair Tyrant Trailer
Beachy Hair Tutorial
Gamine Chignons at the Monique Lhuillier FW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...