A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silicone caulk won't stick to polymer clay?  (Read 195 times)
Tags for this thread: caulk , polymer_clay , decoden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smalleystudios
« on: March 17, 2014 02:32:23 PM »

I've seen it done many times around the internet: using silicone caulk as fake whipped cream or frosting on polymer clay treats. I've also seen it used in decoden crafts to secure cabochons.

I've tried like half a dozen different caulks; silicone, latex, acrylic, etc. The only one that has provided the look I like is 100% silicone caulk.

However, I've tried roughhousing a few of my cupcake charms to see what kind of beating they could take (if someone wanted use one for a keychain perhaps) and found that the silicone does not hold very well at all. It comes right off the textured polymer clay cupcake. I thought maybe the chalk coloring acted as a barrier, but even without it still came off. The charm loops I place in the wet silicone come out even more easily. I use wrapped loops and wrap pretty far down the wire so that the coil will grab the silicone (in hopes of preventing this problem) but it never helps. I usually end up gluing the wire loop back in to the hole after the silicone had cured with E6000 and hoping for the best with the frosting staying on the cupcake. No one has reported problems yet, but I want to do better.

Is my only solution to apply the silicone, wait the 24-48hrs for it to cure, remove it, glue it back on, and wait another 24+hrs for the glue to cure?? I use silicone molds so I can see how some silicones are means to NOT stick, but seeing how this is caulking like you use in your bathroom you would think it would stick?? Decoden crafters seem to have no problem keeping their cabochons on even phone cases (which I assume get at least some rough handling).

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjr107
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014 12:56:48 PM »

Have you tried to rough the polymer clay to give the silicon something to stick to?  Have you tried using liquid sculpty to act as a glue to secure the two together?  Also something that might help is to use a pvc based glue (I'm pretty sure that's what you are looking for).... I know I've used Sobo glue to help attach polymer to glass.  You apply the glue to the glass surface and allow it to get dry then attach the raw clay to it.  If you are glueing dry to dry, I would suggest E6000 or slow cure crazy glue (sorry, don't know how to spell the chemical name so you are stuck with the marketed name).  Yes, they do have slow cure, I've found mine in a hobby shop.  There is also one put out by Lisa Pavelka and hers is able to withstand oven temperatures. 

If you have any other questions, they can prob help you better over in the polymer clay discussion forum Smiley

Good luck!
-pj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mung Daal
How to Draw Moritaka Mashiro
How to Draw a Monkey
How to Draw Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Miss Martian from Young Justice
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...