A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Microwave Glass Kiln  (Read 510 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GoldenSunshine
« on: March 17, 2014 11:53:19 AM »

I am brand new at this Fuseworks Microwave Kiln. And I am wondering why I have these several huge bubbles at the top of my piece, can anyone explain to me? What I did is, I made sure all my glass pieces were 90 COE, and I might remembered I mixed up Fuseworks glass and regular 90 COE glass that I got from the glass store, does that affect the product? It had everything in there were from the glass store, except the white broken pieces were from the kit that it came with the kiln. Help!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looking for fabrics! Willing to do a fabric exchange or some kind of swap.

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014 05:28:49 PM »

Bubbles happen! They seem to be a function of glass placement in this case. Call it kiln magic.

If they are the result of mixed COE, your piece will crack. This does not appear to be a case of mixed COE.

If the bubbles are near the surface (if you can feel them dip down), then you need to break the tops of the bubbles (should be quite easy with a pointy stylus) and re-fire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
GoldenSunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014 07:29:03 PM »

Bubbles happen! They seem to be a function of glass placement in this case. Call it kiln magic.

If they are the result of mixed COE, your piece will crack. This does not appear to be a case of mixed COE.

If the bubbles are near the surface (if you can feel them dip down), then you need to break the tops of the bubbles (should be quite easy with a pointy stylus) and re-fire.

Thanks! Just use a metal point object to pop if a bubble coming when I check the piece? 30 seconds help after popping the bubble? Also one more question, after this piece, I tried a black bottom with a triangle dichroic piece then a clear top. It came out looking weird, looks like the black steeped up and over the dichroic piece and changed colors. (photo if want to add)

I do this- 2 minutes on 50% power, then 1 on 70% power then I switch over to 100% power for 2 minutes, then every 30 seconds I check if it isn't done. Is that too much, or what is the ideal firing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
CrazyEyeGlass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014 08:58:26 AM »

@GoldenSunshine: I can't help you with your microwave fusing schedule. But you should pop the bubbles before they go into the kiln while they are still cold.

I'd like to see a picture of the dichroic piece you mentioned. It is common for glass to move around while melting, sometimes up the sides of another piece. Black absorbs a lot of heat and moves much more than white does in the kiln.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldenSunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014 09:43:17 AM »

@GoldenSunshine: I can't help you with your microwave fusing schedule. But you should pop the bubbles before they go into the kiln while they are still cold.

I'd like to see a picture of the dichroic piece you mentioned. It is common for glass to move around while melting, sometimes up the sides of another piece. Black absorbs a lot of heat and moves much more than white does in the kiln.

I didn't mean to ask about the microwave fusing schedule. I just was sharing my process. How do you pop bubbles when the glass is cold, the bubbles happens in between each microwave cycle? I'm confused.
Here's a photo of the strange dichroic piece.

I did a different one, but it is on top of black and clear glass. That came out better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyEyeGlass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014 04:37:15 PM »

You just poke the little bubble with something sharp and metal to break the top of the bubble. When you re-fuse it, the bubble will fill in.

Dichroic glass can behave strangely sometimes. Kiln magic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

speedingpullet
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014 09:25:07 AM »

I find I get bubbles when I lay two flat sheets on top of each other without giving them a chance to vent air when fusing  Or when putting a flat sheet on top of a very textured piece of glass and trapping bubbles in the textures.

I've heard tell of a technique for helping the bubbles escape by placing small chips of clear at the corners of the piece (or at a regular interval around a circular piece). The theory being that as the top layer of glass softens, it will connect with the lower layer in the middle of the piece, and the edges - propped up by the clear chips - will be the last to connect and so the bubbles will escape from the edges. Personally, its not a technique that works for me very well but I thought I'd suggest it and as always YMMV ;-)

I have much better success with the following technique.
I'm not sure what kind of firing schedules you can get in a microwave oven, but for my kiln I have a 'bubble squeeze' time - where the glass is plastic enough to settle downwards and push bubbles out. Normally - depending on how big the piece is, or how crazy the textured surfaces - I'll soak the piece at 1250 for from 15 mins to 45 mins. Not too much longer, as at that temp you run the risk of devitrification more, so its a tossup between 'dirty' glass and glass full of bubbles. 0_o

And, failing that, as others have suggested, pop the bubbles and re-fuse. Depending on the size of the bubble, I sometimes add a little appropriately coloured grit chip in the hole to help the process along

Good luck! I hope you find a solution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Mallory Cornelison
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Tamira Laboy
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Megan Moore
Cheryl Cole Makeup Tutorial
Blac Chyna to Open Makeup Bar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...