A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Images that represent what you are selling. How white balance can help you.  (Read 394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sydniburch

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R9I_AEU8aAo/T6t

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2014 09:36:15 AM »

Images that represent what you are selling?

Are you using http://pixlr.com/ yet? Its a free post-processing software that is comparable to Photoshop but without the price point. Post processing can take your image from small business to savvy professional. With a few steps you can get nice photo studio results at home with a storage container and 2 table lamps. This isn't going to be a photoshop image manipulation tutorial. I'm sure YouTube will have a few videos that have very educated, and talented people giving a visual step by step to the basics. Like this one and its made just for Pixlr. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XDQSG1wsA

The images are of a planter I found years ago, I fell in love but found that it ended up in a box every time I brought out curios to display. I think it's quite charming but it didn't quite fit with my personal style.

Look at the difference between the two images. Believe it or not the top is a closer representation of the color of the corn cob pipe planter. Though the wood grain is harder to see.
The bottom image has much more detail with the wood grain, but it is a dark picture, its muddy and isn't as attention grabbing. This is what you will likely spend the most time on (correcting the white balance.)

I was trying to to get a better exposure by adding color with props.
Sadly it washed out the planter to a much lighter brown.  I was able to get a decent picture of the painted inside and its visually stimulating. But it's busy, very busy. It's more indicative of the 70's than I would like.  I would prefer to have it used as a straight razor holder (next to a brush and soap puck) with mustache paper as the backdrop and a whisky bottle with some big "XXX"  that was turned into a soap bottle close by. Hell I might do that, in fact I am now planning on doing that. What I'm trying to say is if you are going to make a background busy at least make it modern, and have an idea of the people you think would like this item might be. Remember its your job to convince people that they can not live without this item, and as pretty as those crochet flowers are they are not doing the job that they need to be doing.

I am using a posterboard that cost me $0.60 as the background. look at how seamless it is It looks like I took this in a studio and not a light box made from a sterilite storage box and 2 table lamps. I just brought this into some photo software and worked on the white balance, and boom classy from MacGuyvering.

Be sure to get all angles, you need to make sure that the item is being fairly represented. No one wants to buy something and then find out that the person they bought online was being sold from a "Photoshop Wizard". Side lighting and a poster board backdrop, with some white balance fixing thrown in.
I had to show it was painted in the inside without washing out the deep brown of the faux wood outside. I used a spotlight and side lighting. You can definitely see the change in the shadow. I wasn't able to illuminate the inside completely while keeping the exposure right. This is the best compromise my poor phone could make.

These were taken with my phone, 2 lamps, and a easy to assemble lightbox, $0.60 poster board and finally photo software to fix the white balance.

Making sure you have the correct white balance is the easiest way to ensure your items are represented professionally and accurately
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014 09:14:25 AM »

You've shown a lot of detail with the lighting. I do think getting a good (and honest) photo is a skill worth learning.

BTW, a bit off topic, I have had good results showing the details of my dimensional textile art by simply placing it in a photocopier with a blanket over to keep out stray light. Works for some jewellery, too. So easy!

I'm going to look at that software. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sydniburch

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R9I_AEU8aAo/T6t

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014 02:20:48 PM »

That is a really great idea for a make shift light box. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happycupcake
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014 09:17:55 AM »

Why have I never thought of poster board...?  Genius.  I always have issues with the seams in my background.  No more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Tucci Cookbook: Cooking at Home With Stanley Trailer
Power Concedes Nothing Book Overview
Truth in Advertizing Book Launch Party at Mother New York
Unexpected Gifts Book Trailer by Chris Heuertz
She Matters by Susanna Sonnenberg
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...