A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Eyeliner Question  (Read 248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meganehmbee
« on: March 08, 2014 12:13:15 PM »

I've been making my own cosmetics lately.  Most things have come out really well. I made some eyeliner today from coconut oil and activated charcoal. I'm trying to make things as simple and natural as possible.

The problem I've run into with it, is that it seems to be a little smudgy to me. I don't have oily lids, in fact I'm really quite dry. So usually things don't smudge. All the tutorials I've seen for this style of DIY eyeliner claim that the staying power is really good on them.

Is there something I can add, or mix differently to give my eyeliner more staying power?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014 02:37:15 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014 09:40:36 AM »

I'm a big fan of eyeliner myself.  Even if I don't put any other makeup on when running on a quick errand I will however at least put eyeliner on......   So I commend you for attempting to make eyeliner yourself.  It would seem that it would be a lot more difficult to make than other types of makeup while keeping it as natural as possible.  I'm talking about mineral type makeup as a foundation or eye shadow.

Not to reveal your secrets, but what are you putting it in to get a usable product.  Of course I haven't looked into to see if there are molds for eyeliner like there are for lipsticks.  Or are you using it more like a liquid eyeliner?  They do sell mascara bottles so I guess they may make molds for eyeliner or liquid eyeliner. 

I remember as a young tween I had bought (or rather my mum bought it for me) a craft kit on making your own eyeliner and eye shadow.  Anyone remember the 80's and that popular bright blue and sea green eye makeup?  I don't remember much but I know I melted the ingredients and they got shoved into a wooden tube of sorts.  How they got packed in there I don't remember, but I used a pencil sharpener to get the point for a usable product.  I loved it, but I know now that the colors were way off for me.......

Back on topic.....

But I think if you would look at the ingredient list of a commercial made product, your answers are there.    While using "natural" ingredients are great, but you are very limited to their properties of what they can and can not do.   That's why I think "chemicals" and I use that term loosely do have their place in our life.   

Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's a better product.  There are many natural things that I wouldn't use.  So while "chemicals" are man made, they do have their place and I do use a number of them in the products that I make. 

So perhaps it's those man made ingredients in the eyeliner that prevent the product from smudging so much.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014 09:05:33 PM »

Hi! I'm very chemically sensitive and with every exposure to more, it gets worse. I started making my own everything 2 years ago and just added makeup. Eyeliner is the most important I think!! Some states have banned lead in it, but that's certain ones and lead is only one bad thing. I never had success with the coconut oil one, maybe I mixed it wrong as it was before the cosmetic addition. I found clay works AMAZING. http://www.humblebeeandme.com
That woman is amazing. I want to creepily follow her around. Sort of joking. Cheesy

Unfortunately, it's gel-like I prefer pencil. Mostly because of application lol. Although I surprised myself, I'm actually a lot better at applying with brush than I thought!! Mercury and heavy metal poisoning causes shaking especially in hands...

If anyone has a good pencil recipe, please do share!! I also found  a few online (fromnaturewithlove. com  has a  good one, the rest pretty much mimicked it)but I don't have myristyl myristate or whatever and don't feel like i want to. And I just bought magnesium stearate to make some Sad

My opinion is, that these are as natural and effective as your gonna get. The one linked above being better than the other eyeliner pencils one I've found as far as completely natural.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
End-of-Summer TV Character Fashion Styles
Top Marni for H&M Items
Top Prom Trends with Seventeen Magazine
Cassandra Kellog Closet Interview With StyleLikeU
Betsey Johnson Fall 2012 Runway Show at New York Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...