A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kid's Bunny Travel Pillow / Neck Pillow  (Read 5381 times)
Tags for this thread: travel_pillow , tutorial , featured_project , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 08, 2014 07:18:04 AM »

I've got a long, loooong airplane ride with my two and three year old daughters coming up.  I've been brainstorming ways to make their trips (and thereby the trips of the people around them) more comfortable. I found this free pattern (http://hiraganamama.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/travel-pillows-for-children/) for a plain children's travel pillow. Using this basic pattern, I added my own elements to turn it to an adorable sleepy bunny with a super-practical handle. I've included a tutorial of what I did, but I'd recommend you read through Hiragana Mama's tutorial at the link above before starting the steps that follow.

Supplies
- fabric for the pillow body
(I used some chenille I had in my stash. Polar fleece, flannel or an old sweatshirt would be awesome too.)
- craft felt in various colours
- thread
- ribbon
- stuffing / fiberfill

1. Print out the pillow pattern and my additional pieces. Cut out all the pieces. My pattern pieces require no additional seam allowance. (If you have difficulties printing out the file from Craftster, pop over to my blog http://artisan82.weebly.com/1/post/2014/03/tutorial-kids-travel-pillow-neck-pillow.html and grab it there.)

2. Stitch the ears together with 1/4" seam allowance leaving the bottoms open.  Turn the ears right-side-out.  Stitch the eyes, nose, and mouth pieces onto the face. (Tip: use fabric glue or a gluestick to hold the pieces in place while you sew.)

3. 3. Stitch the face onto the good side of the pillow top (fancy quilting folks would call this an appliqué.)  Be sure to catch the ears in the top seam of the face as shown.  Appliqué the tail onto the pillow top.

4. Transfer the face details onto the face piece with a pencil or dressmaker's chalk.  Embroider them on in a contrasting thread.
             Sidebar:  You could definitely embroider the details on the face by hand.  Lazy person that I am, I used my sewing machine. I set my machine to a medium stitch width and a stitch length just below 1, as pictured.

5.  Cut about 15 cm (6") of ribbon to make a handle.  Pin as indicated.  Sew around the outside edge of the pillow, leaving a space between the ribbon ends to turn and stuff.  (Tip: make sure you don't catch a bunny ear in the seams.)

6. Clip your curves, trim your seams, and turn that bunny right-side-out.  Stuff it and hand-sew the opening closed with a blind stitch. (Tip: If your pillow looks lumpy, try throwing your pillow in the dryer for a bit to pouf up the stuffing.)

... and that completes the pillow.  Here's hoping that this bunny will bring comfort to my daughter during our travels. ;-)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014 08:45:45 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed generic blog link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014 11:24:35 AM »

I just rocked you. Very great tutorial.

I hope daughter travels well. I will bet she gets lots of attention with such a cute pillow. And great idea with the ribbon for carrying it.

Another idea I might add:
{and I don't mean to stomp on your toes or rain out your parade...these ideas just explode in me}  Grin
Maybe a small zipper pouch in the back for candies and snacks and gum. Kind of like a "pillow purse" Cheesy

Ooops. Another explosion... These can be made for babies learning to sit up. They call them boppies. They keep the little tykes from tumbling backwards. You use them on a blanket or carpet on the floor to hold their butts in place. You might wish to modify the center "doughnut hole" to be a bit bigger, and make the final pillow wider, but the idea is still the same. I just googled to make sure I spelled the name correct, and images brought up tons of these...they even have one for TWINS!.... and a tag quilt for the side seams comes to mind, too. Darn I am going to pop. I better get off here  Grin http://www.twinnursingpillow.org/index.html

A very special project indeed. I hope you have inspired other travelers and Moms/Grandmoms to make these. They could be great for adults traveling in the car, too. So your head doesn't bang the window  Cheesy

~T
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014 11:27:48 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014 11:57:56 AM »

Your pillow is so cute! I love how you added a personality to it!  Cheesy

I bet your girls love them!! Enjoy your trip!  Cheesy

Thanks for the tutorial, I can't believe I never made my boys one! Will have to do so this Summer.

You rock!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014 03:08:54 PM »

So stinking cute!  I've often thought of making some myself.  But, I don't have anybody to give them to.  Sad  If I do make some, I think I'll add a little zippered pouch and a handle too.  Maybe make some taggie ones. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014 03:45:36 PM »

Har, har...now I have inspired some new ideas on this wonderful project that the Crafty.Canadian started. She has wonderful creativity to make her young ones comfie! And how cute for the other travelers to enjoy, too. And pet the bunny ears. Those are too cute. And the little face is adorable.

Boys...well lets see. Sponge Bob...those Cars dudes. And I am a super freak for Spiderman. You could decorate them all different ways. With all different fabrics.

And for the old farts who sleep in the car? Well just wing it with what they like!  Grin This is a wonderful project.

CC did a great job with reminding us and sharing it. I vote for rocking the heck out of her! Roll Eyes

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014 09:11:44 PM »

I totally thought of adding a pocket - and if I make one for myself, there will definitely be a pocket for a pair of ear plugs.  Wink

A snake would be awesome and boy friendly (imaging a snake tongue sticking out!)  I also thought a raccoon would be adorable, with a matching raccoon sleep mask.

I love the idea for a taggy one - my kiddos have outgrown the tag loving stage, but a great gift idea!  (Especially if someone is having a new baby and you know grandma and grandpa live far away.)

Thanks for all the great feedback and compliments everybody (especially stillatthetop - you're too kind!)

This was a great, quick (like I made 2 of them in about 2 hours including photographing the process) and fun project.  I hope some of you try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014 12:02:35 AM »

Boys...well lets see. Sponge Bob...those Cars dudes. And I am a super freak for Spiderman. You could decorate them all different ways. With all different fabrics.

~T

One of my boys would love this bunny travel pillow! He loves sweet, soft and colours!

A snake would be awesome and boy friendly (imaging a snake tongue sticking out!)

Oh yes, the oldest would be very pleased with a snake, haha!

Thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014 04:55:12 AM »

Clever and practical!  Also, cute as all get out! Thanks for sharing your tutorial and, wow--all the ideas on how to make this own's own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaylaep873
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014 11:28:18 AM »

This is too sweet! Great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014 06:07:54 PM »

This is so super cute & useful! My kiddos would love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery: How to Make a Double-Walled Vessel
Pottery: How to Make a Bottle Form
Different Shapes of Pottery Products
How to Make a Goblet
Simple Sewing Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...