A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there a technical name for these necklines and how do you make them?  (Read 1369 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2014 05:57:14 PM »

I've been trying to think what they're called for months now. I've asked a couple sewing buddies but they don't know and the dresses description just says "winged collar" which doesn't give me much help when it comes to google.

So! I come to you lovely people to beg for help and stop me going insane!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014 07:17:42 PM »

I believe my Mom would call that a Sweetheart neckline with a collar.  I had a red strapless with black polka dots when I was in Uni that she had made me.  The collar snapped on and off, so I could wear it with and without.  It didn't have buttons up the front though.  It had a zipper in the back.  Hope that helps Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014 08:42:24 PM »

Don't know the name. There are two girls in one of my magazines who wear them...but I can't find the right mag just yet. They are also on TV. They develope recipies. And dress in those vintage fashions. A google search for retro clothing brought up many similar styles. They are from the 50's-ish. When I find the girl's names and website, I will let you know. They may be able to send you patterns, as they design their own "costumes" for the photo shoots. And similar aprons, too.

At this point, my only other suggestion is check Goodwill, and those form of stores. They often have vintage patterns in their crafty section. But some of these designs may be back in style...so check your local fabric stores, too. They might have newer patterns based on this one.

You make it like you do any dress....cut, pin, stitch.  Grin And gather where you need to. Fold, iron, and gripe  Cheesy
Welcome to the world for seamstresses. Just kidding. I have fun at my machine. And love to create new things.

~T

Hey...second thought. Do you have a nice unstretchy item that fits you? Even a skirt and shirt. Separate? You can draft your own pattern based on the picture. This one looks to be cotton. Don't try your first pattern with your good material...in case you goof up and have to adjust things. But pick a similar material weight. And wing it. I will bet you can do it. I like the zipper up the back idea.
Just decide where your shirt and skirt match, and mark it somehow...I like safety pins for placements. Not pinned together, but just to give you the idea for the mark. Then you don't get stabbed. And can line them up together when you make your pattern. Zipper should start at your a-hole and go up  Grin That gives your hips ample room. Just ideas. I wish you luck with this project. When I find the girls in the book again, I will let you know. I think they post a webpage. They can probably help better.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014 09:03:20 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014 02:48:44 AM »

Thank you both for your replies.

I went down the sweet heart neckline with collar route as well bit not much came up. I also though about calling it a facing, even though it's not on the inside. I don't know why I'm struggling with this concept so much lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014 03:14:25 AM »

Oops! I accidentally ordered http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/6146/ since it was on sale and I could use it as a guide Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014 07:07:51 AM »

That looks like it will get you there at least Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Nofuelleft
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014 10:17:17 AM »

They are pretty easy to draw yourself, dont need a pattern for them  Wink
When you draw yours it should look some what like this one ;

How to draw it:

Fold your front piece in halve.
Put it on a piece of paper.
Trace the neckline from the side seam to the fold. Call that line A
Mark where the line drawn up from the apex hits your trace line.
Now decide how long you want your collar piece to be. Lets say 5 cm or 2 inch.
Draw a line parallel 5 cm / 2inch from  line A
Now adjust how you want it to be.

Cut out 4 because you'll need to use interfacing to keep it nice and tight.
When sewing the whole thing together bast collar to neckline first , than close side seams.
For the best result you need to use a lining or facings else it keeps " flipping"

THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014 10:36:39 AM »

that looks like a halter top to me.  And it looks like a pattern for this might include a strapless version. 

So, try looking for halter and strapless dress patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014 04:02:36 PM »

Thanks Nofuelleft, that's a great help Cheesy Do you have any idea what they're called though? lol I'm just curious what the proper name is.

I'm not too fussed if the pattern I've bought is halter/strapped ETC as I'm going to be vastly modifying it anyway. I just love the little collar lapel things and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do them Sad But with Nofuellefts help and the pattern for a guide I think I might be able to do it now Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014 04:43:34 PM »

I think the pattern you purchased should work for the main body of the dress. And the suggestions for adding the collar will work out fine. If there is a facing for the bodice, attach it after the collar is basted in place. You are well on your way to being beautiful in one.  Grin

~T

This may help: http://skyturtle.net/various-vintage-necklines-and-how-to-draft-them/
Yours appears to be a modified pointed Peter Pan collar. The fourth one that is mentioned on this site.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014 04:47:21 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Nofuelleft
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014 12:40:03 AM »

Thanks Nofuelleft, that's a great help Cheesy Do you have any idea what they're called though? lol I'm just curious what the proper name is.

I'm not too fussed if the pattern I've bought is halter/strapped ETC as I'm going to be vastly modifying it anyway. I just love the little collar lapel things and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do them Sad But with Nofuellefts help and the pattern for a guide I think I might be able to do it now Cheesy

Technically it aint a collar, so you wont find it as such when looking for it .
It's called a biasband.
But i understand 100% that you call it a collar, i would call it a collar also if i had to describe it .
And yes, a Peter pan collar tut would be a good starting point  since you deal with them in the  same way as a biasband .

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014 04:57:24 AM »

Yay my patterns turned up! But they do it a different way. It's a straight piece cut on the bias so I'm going to have a go at both Simpliticys' and Nofuelleft's way to see which I prefer Smiley

Just one Q, do you cut on the grain or bias Nofuelleft?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014 05:25:23 AM »

Yay my patterns turned up! But they do it a different way. It's a straight piece cut on the bias so I'm going to have a go at both Simpliticys' and Nofuelleft's way to see which I prefer Smiley

Just one Q, do you cut on the grain or bias Nofuelleft?

If using a stretch fabric on the bias .
If using a non stretch , well i use fusible interfacing so no point cutting on the bias.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014 05:49:12 AM »

Thank you again Smiley

I'll post pictures of both when I'm done Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014 06:19:39 AM »

Thank you again Smiley

I'll post pictures of both when I'm done Cheesy

What kind of fabric are you using?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014 08:37:28 AM »

poly cotton I think, what ever I've got in my left over box for now Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014 08:47:59 AM »

Just one box with leftovers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014 08:49:06 AM »

lol I sold a load that was over a meter because of moving house
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Repurposedmom
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014 08:43:15 PM »

I have also seen them referred to as a fold over bodice-hope you find what you are looking for
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014 12:30:48 PM »

This thread is a riot! We are a bunch of crafty souls with too much in our brains! Grin
I'm anxious to see what she comes up with! I might just have to see if she will make me one!

Still can't find those two silly gals in their vintage attire. Sorry. I have googled all sorts of keywords. I will get time soon to surf the magazines. I know they are in there for some recipies...that is what they are known for. Think Leave it to Beaver. I can send an email to them. They will know what it is called. They wear them all the time, and shop the trendy stores...and now can afford tailors to make them special. They started out making their own, like we do. But hit the big pay dirt.

But it looks like KZB is well on her way to figuring things out.

Stitch, trim, turn, iron, baste in place...try it on...rip it off...cuss...stitch again.  Shocked Well, at least that is how I sometimes do it.

Hey, when do I get done shampooing my hair? It says rinse and repeat. It never says to stop  Cheesy
Sorry. Just your Easter joke today  Roll Eyes And the fact that I don't follow patterns, and make my own. Based on some basics, mind you. Those are called slopers. And I am really into collars. I'm surprised that I haven't absorbed what this one is called. And it is bugging me  Roll Eyes Off to search some more!

~T

Here is a site to play on: https://www.etsy.com/market/dress_with_collar/11
I am not affilated with the company...but found it sweet eye candy for future ideas. And I am studying vintage, and collars today.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 12:53:50 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Kezerb

Sewer/Soaper/Sleeper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014 04:58:16 PM »

I have made two dresses from the pattern! I can't fit in the stripey one and I keep forgetting to take a pic of me in the polka dot one!

I hope this link works of my housemate wearing the striped!

ETA: The collar thing is much better looking really, it's just he has no breasts to poke em out Tongue
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014 05:01:18 PM by Kezerb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014 05:03:58 PM »

Should have made him wear a stuffed bra Grin

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014 08:04:18 AM »

You need to clone your housemate....it is a true gent that would model a dress for a friend...he might not have breasts but he certainly has b--ls!! Grin

I think the dress looks fantastic!  It reminds me a bit of referrees uniforms, but I like it a lot and would wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
stillatthetop
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014 03:29:20 PM »

I think I just peed myself laughing. Yes. He does look wonderful in the dress! Even with no bumps...fitted bra.

I have a friend's son, whom I am making dresses for. Say it together..."Drag Queen". He is a silly boy, age 23, and really likes the girlie things. And has won many awards for the showplace palaces that they display this art. Unusual, but he is comfortable with himself.

He actually answered the door at my place one day...wearing a dress we were testing/fitting him in. Talk about the shock factor of that???  Grin I live a crazy world. My friends are used to it.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...