A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to paint a mirror tiki bar sign  (Read 1880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2005 11:10:45 AM »

My husband brought home a very large "curb rescued" framed mirror in great shape. I opened my mouth and told him it would be no problem to paint it up as a bar sign for his fantasy Tiki Lounge. I've got a design, but I dont know what kind of paint to use. I dont want to do faux stained glass with this design, but I'm not sure if regular acrylic won't look flat and reflect wierdly. I also will have to clean this. Has anyone had any experience with glass paints that you dont have to bake on? Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but I looked and couldn't find anything. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005 06:52:27 PM »

The easiest solution would be to etch your design rather than to paint it.  Then perhaps  you cold add paint to the frame, or maybe a faux bamboo style or whatnot. You could embellish with scrapbooking supplies to add more color.  If you do insist on paint, I know that there is glass paint.  Oh, I just thought of another simple and inexpensive solution....there are window and glass paints( I can't remember the name, I think it's gallery glass) that you paint on from the tubes and then they peel off when you no longer want the design.  They do work well, my mom has been using them for years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005 10:28:29 AM »

Ive never seen the peel off paints "in action" but I have been tempted in the store to pick some up. I'll trust you if you say they work well then. I'm not sure about etching. My husband wants a monkey in a fez playing the bongos under palm trees.... plus the wording......that might get a bit complex for etching. Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peptogirl

gingham is the new pink!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005 01:46:33 PM »

what about glass paints? i haven't tried them out yet, but i've seen them at Micheal's... the frosted glass / etching idea is cool too. that's one i HAVE tried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--
Amy Cluck

Peptogirl Industries
Hip, handmade & vintage goods
www.peptogirl.com

Pimp Stitch
The cutest embroidery patterns this side of the information super highway
www.pimpstitch.com
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005 05:55:11 PM »

thanks so much there! I'm gonna have to save up some $$ for the ammount of colors this is gonna take... hee hee oh well..........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MichL
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007 01:39:56 PM »

What a coincidence! I just made a bar mirror for my boyfriend. I etched the mirror because I thought it would look more classic, but painting also sounds cool. If you're interested in seeing the mirror that I did, it's posted here...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=167398.0

Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on painting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007 10:53:21 AM »

Here's a link to a similar question where I posted my experience with glass paint.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176499.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
krissykat
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007 08:51:43 AM »

I just discovered that Plaid/Folk Art brand makes a glass and tile medium for acrylic paints. You either mix it with the paint or brush on a coat of the medium, paint, then 2 more coats to seal it. That doesn't do anything for your concern about acrylic looking a little weird on your mirror, but you could always test it out and just clean it off if you don't like the look. This stuff is so much cheaper than glass paint, especially if you already have some acrylics lying around. I don't think it would stand up to really frequent washings like on dishes, but I'm sure it would be fine for a mirror.

I've painted a couple of things with it. This soap dish is the only thing I've posted, in case you want to have a look. 

Good luck. That sounds like a really cool project.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007 08:52:35 AM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007 01:18:26 PM »

Thanks for the help there. We have just bought andmoved into a new/old house and the tiki bar ( and it's mirror) are going to be relocated to under an awning on the back of the garage. Now I get to rethink the whole thing! (plus I get to start buying even more nifty tiki stuff!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing Fabric Types
Creative Fabrics for Outdoor Fun
Measuring Fabrics for DIY Projects
Choosing Fabrics for Gift Wraps
Choosing Fabrics for Upholstery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...