A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my new favorite dinosaur! lots 'o pics!  (Read 523 times)
Tags for this thread: planter , dinosaur  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OhNoJoJo

My favorite color is glitter

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2014 10:35:47 AM »

I have been obsessively making these dinosaur planters because dinosaurs rock. Obviously. This guy is a bit different though. He's much larger, about 6 inches tall and a foot long. Also I scored this awesome Martha Stewart Texture paint for free at Home Depot. (They were giving it away because they were no longer selling it.) The guy gave me four colors but the terra cotta is my favorite. So, this guy is painted to look like a terra cotta dino pot and filled with some awesome golden moss. Now to decide where he should go in my house...

I made a few others in new colors as well. Yay for clearance at michael's! I got a ton of paints for 25 cents each!!

Hard to tell in the pic, but the red guy has a glittery sail!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyWookiee
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014 11:20:31 AM »

Very nice! I think they would also look good in black with metallics highlighting the texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My homepage
My DeviantART
My Pinterest

"Skywookiee always has mad crafting skills" - whenindoubtsew
ragingpie

Craftalicious!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014 03:03:38 PM »

I've been seeing these dino planters popping up 'round the internet and I think they're so cool!  I have a few questions, though.  What do you use to cut out the hole?  Is it hard?  How do you approach drainage for the plant - specifically, do you have any trouble with mold/mildew growing inside the plastic dino because there isn't any drainage?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatebutton
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014 09:25:53 AM »

These are very interesting indeed.. would never have thought of doing something like this. I had a question but it looks like Ragingpie got there before me.. wait, I shall  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhNoJoJo

My favorite color is glitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014 11:50:26 AM »

Hi! thanks for the feed back! I think the metallic black is a fantastic idea!

I cut them with just a pocket knife. Not even a great one, just a cheapy. They are a semi soft plastic (they give a little if you squeeze them) so cutting isn't too difficult. I just always position my hands, feet, and other body parts in a way that if I slipped or I made an accidental sudden movement I won't get cut. Safety first!

As far as drainage I haven't had a problem. In the small ones I put in succulents and honestly I pretty much neglect them. I chose them because they are really low maintenance and don't require much watering. Put in the plant, ignore. On;y a little water now and then. And I let the soil completey dry out before even considering adding more. And they thrive. Also, I don't fill the whole thing with dirt. just a little to surround the roots. The head and tail are hollow. Don't know if that makes a difference though.

The big guy I did a little different. I drilled a couple small holes on his underside, since he will be getting regular watering, filled his head, tail, and legs with rocks and again put just enough soil to surround the roots. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocolatebutton
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014 09:39:10 AM »

Thanks for getting back to us. I was wondering about the drainage but looks like you have that covered! Look forward to seeing more of your dinos!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph a Sequence
How to Use Window Light in Photography
How to Take Photos Indoors
How to Take Posed Pictures
How to Choose the Right Lens for Your Camera
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...