A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Really Ugly Turquoise Leather Purse  (Read 671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Newki
« on: February 26, 2014 06:08:46 PM »

I was gifted this purse, and instead of tossing it, I'd like to jazz it up a bit. But am at a loss of how to fix this thing, it's sturdy and good quality, but I can't stand the colour. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this thing beautiful? I could probably paint it, but I'm thinking maybe there'd be a way to work in this weird colour so that it wouldn't need a full colour overhaul.  Plus, the inside is also an offish weird blue.
Here is the picture...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/newki/Photoon2014-02-26at730PM_zpsd153e80e.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014 04:53:45 PM »

You could use some stencils or stamps to make a pattern or irregular pattern with a color you do like, if you can tolerate the old blue coming through. For the inside, if you don't want to take the lining out/bag apart, you can either hand stitch a new lining to the old one, hot glue it in, or sew some snaps all around the inside top and snap a new lining in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014 02:36:20 PM »

You could use some stencils or stamps to make a pattern or irregular pattern with a color you do like, if you can tolerate the old blue coming through. For the inside, if you don't want to take the lining out/bag apart, you can either hand stitch a new lining to the old one, hot glue it in, or sew some snaps all around the inside top and snap a new lining in.

Or you can do the opposite and put the snaps on the outside and make a new cover.  Though that might be just like making an entirely new purse.

Does leather bleach?  You could try some bleach stencils, maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014 01:56:52 PM »

Or you can do the opposite and put the snaps on the outside and make a new cover.  Though that might be just like making an entirely new purse.

Oh, I had to look that one up! Apparently regular bleach ruins the finish, but there's a leather bleach you can get. Interesting, since I'll be trying some leather projects in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurakam
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014 03:41:29 AM »

My brother-in-law dyes shoes all the time. Get some leather dye and go basic black it's a great style
THIS ROCKS   Logged
machinecool
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014 06:21:34 PM »

Oh, I had to look that one up! Apparently regular bleach ruins the finish, but there's a leather bleach you can get. Interesting, since I'll be trying some leather projects in the future.

Oxalic acid is tech name, but for easier sources - it's used in Barkeepers Friend (call your local home improvement store) and deck wash. How much lighter is the question.
Yeah, u can always dye it a darker color
THIS ROCKS   Logged
machinecool
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014 01:48:35 PM »

Additional on Oxalic acid:
There's back panel caution about when it's in dry form-read it, heed it!
I didn't much like the smell- best to do this outside.
Above me someone says household bleach removes the finish-oxalic acid is used to clean and deglaze tanned leather before dyeing. To me this means it would remove the top coat. What above post means by finish I don't know, but I'd like to.
Barkeepers Friend seems to be only 25% active, maybe that's why I had to soak my pieces of leather overnite to get the yellow part of dye removed.

I have a leather leftover (chrome tan) that's about 3 different colors (mustard and darker streaks) and I've been experimenting with lightening or removing the color. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Tan a Hide
Paper Cut Music Video
The Crafty Chica Interview
How to Use Natural Fabric Dye
Hand Sewing a Blind Skirt Hem
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...