A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plus size (indie) patterns  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CarinaJo
« on: February 26, 2014 09:53:17 AM »

Hi All
I recently discovered a sewing lounge within walking distance of my home. I have been encouraging a friend to come with me, to become a better rounded and more skillful seamstress, since we both learned to sew by refashioning.  Her argument against it, however, is that when she went to a sewing (by a pattern) class at our local community college they told her that she wouldn't be able to take the class if she couldn't find the required patterns in her size..... AFTER she paid for the course, of course. For some reason, the patterns weren't available in her size. Now she has a bitter attitude towards patterns in general. For reference, she is quite busty and measures 43in- overbust, 39-41-49.  In terms of style, she has a HUGE love for Modcloth's style of clothing and anything from the early to mid 80s.

So, what pattern companies, indie or mainstream, are likely to have something she can work with, size-wise and style-wise?  What are her options? I really want her to not feel excluded by pattern companies and to expand her skill set!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014 08:52:24 AM »

Probably would be a good idea to start at a fabric store. Most main pattern companies do have larger size patterns. Also if she know something about patterns she can adapt them to suit her tastes.

You could also always try Etsy for patterns in her size and style. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014 09:45:30 AM »

Burda Style magazine (the European edition) always has a plus sized section of fantastic clothing (I seriously wish they were available in my size) and they put out a just plus sized issue a few times a year.

Ottobre women's magazines also have a decent size range (I don't know the exact range off the top of my head though)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Sylvan
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014 05:43:34 AM »

I have a 44 in bust and I haven't had that many problems finding patterns at my fabric store.
She just needs to check the back of the pattern envelope to make sure she falls within the pattern size range.
Plus, once she becomes proficient at using patterns, she can learn how to enlarge a pattern. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iorisdis
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014 02:48:28 AM »

Burda Style magazine (the European edition) always has a plus sized section of fantastic clothing (I seriously wish they were available in my size) and they put out a just plus sized issue a few times a year.

Ottobre women's magazines also have a decent size range (I don't know the exact range off the top of my head though)

Hi
I have used the Ottobre magazines quite a lot lately, and not all models in every magazine cover the whole size range, but quite a few of them do. The range is from 34-52 European sizes.
For my body type, the fit is better than the fit in the Burda Plus Size magazines. at ottobredesign.com you can look at the different models in each issue, and it states the size. (I know there are conversion charts on the internet, for comparing the sizes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

best wishes from Norway Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Street Chic: Chelsea, London Style
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Best & Worst Dressed From The Grammys 2013 Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...